similar energy

• 26 December 2023
  • 12 replies

It’s important I know the difference with simplier energy and a pre payment metre.

can anyone explain to me the difference between these two as I been trying to get hold of someone from owo the pass 3 days

im a new customer and I don’t want my electric to cut off so is it a pay monthly plan out my direct debit???

12 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi Mrlouey!

I am not an expert, but I have been looking at this stuff in the last few days. Simpler Energy is not a pre-pay plan. So, if you are on Simpler Energy you either have a direct debit set up, which spread into 12 even monthly payments. If you don’t have a direct debit set up, then you will get an enormous bill every 3 months which you have to pay right away. 

Sounds like you are On Demand, so no, you have nothing to pay until the bill comes in. If you can’t or don’t pay that, you might be at risk of getting disconnected.

Note that the bill when it comes in might be huge. My electricity bill last February was £557 (before government subsidies). If you are On Demand, you need to put that money aside so you can pay it when it comes. If you switch to DD I believe it will lower your prices, and you won’t be surprised by a huge bill.

Hope this is useful. If someone comes and disagrees with what I have written, they will be right. But I could tell you are worried, and wanted to offer you some relief.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’re almost right, except for one thing. OVO’s billing is monthly rather than quarterly. Bills will come on a monthly basis which means each one will be smaller than if they came every three months.

You do also have a few days to pay - you don’t have to pay literally the very second the bill arrives. As long as you pay by the due date, OVO will consider it as paid on-time.

Quarterly bills are also slowly being phased out across the market. Even the few remaining suppliers that currently offer them, will not offer them forever.

Disconnections are also a last resort option. They ONLY ever happen after all other options have failed - and are actually pretty rare.

Userlevel 3

Thanks. I finally switched to DD with SSE about 2 weeks before my account migrated, so my answer was hybrid SSE/Ovo.

So how do I get this all changed to be paid monthly except every 3 months ? 
as I don’t want a big bill at once and they’ve not set up my direct debit yet

Userlevel 3

So how do I get this all changed to be paid monthly except every 3 months ? 
as I don’t want a big bill at once and they’ve not set up my direct debit yet

I was wrong about that. You will get billed every month. Blastoise186 is an expert.

So right now I think you will get a bill each month that you will have to pay by a due date. 

You might want to change to a direct debit. It won’t make much of a difference between now and march, but they try to calculate it so you pay the same each month, all year round. They also reduce your tariff a little, I believe.

You can set this up yourself using the app https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/app-direct-debit

So does this mean that I will not to have to top up my metre online ??

and it will automatically stay on so I don’t need to worry about pay as you go now and just wait for my direct debit letter to be set up. 
because I Change provider and I really don’t want an electric cut off

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can’t access your account from here, you’ll need to ask OVO what payment method you’re on.

Please call 0330 303 5063 or try Live Chat via https://ovoenergy.com/help .

Blasttoise186

Is there any other way I can get support the live chat said they can’t help me I received a letter of OVO saying you’re energy plan at a glance

simplier energy

plan type variable 

start date 22nd decemember

i am abroad and I really do not want my electric to cut off supply there must be some sort of help I can get with out live chat as it’s busy ?

will it not automatically be a pay monthly system for icfjwnte provider 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can’t access accounts myself as I don’t work for OVO. As such, I’m afraid I can’t answer that.

All options are listed at https://ovoenergy.com/help .

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mrlouey,

If you contact the support team, they will advise if you have a pay as you go meter, or a pay monthly meter. As you’ve been sent a letter saying you’re on the ‘simpler plan’ this suggests you are pay monthly and your supply won’t be cut off.

If you haven’t set up a direct debit you can pay on demand, this means when you get a bill you make the payment online. I’d advise setting up an online account to view the bills there. 

Hope this helps. 

How do I set an online account up briefly what do I need to do to make this happen ?

Userlevel 7

Hi @Mrlouey,

If you’re a pay monthly OVO customer, here’s a guide to the online account. From that, I’ve copied this bit:

How do I log into my online OVO account?

You can log in here. Or if it’s your first time logging into your OVO online account, getting set up is a doddle. Just follow these 3 steps.

Step 1

Enter your email address

Click here then enter your email address and click Submit.

Step 2

Check your email

We'll send you a link to set up your password. Make sure you do it within 6 hours. And remember - our email might be hiding in your spam!

Step 3

Set your password

Follow the link in your email, create your password, and you're in!

If you haven't registered an email address on your energy account before, we'll ask you to confirm a few more details before you set your password.