Solved

Landlord left with a pre-pay meter- How do I get this changed?

• 25 September 2023
  • 2 replies

I’m the landlord of a property and my tenant has just moved out. I’ve now discovered that without my prior knowledge or permission, the tenant had the meters changed at the property to Pay As You Go meters.  I would never have agreed to this.

How do I get them changed back? ( they did it for both the gas and electricity supply). 

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 26 September 2023, 07:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @Mr Jones ,

I am a forum volunteer here. My views are my own.

As a landlord, you do NOT have that power to prevent this unless you are currently paying the energy supplier directly - which us forum volunteers don’t recommend because of the liability risks. Whoever pays the bills to the supplier has total control over the supply - including payment method e.g. Direct Debit, Pay On-Demand or Prepayment.

The tenant does not require your permission and doesn’t have to tell you first. If they’re paying the supplier directly, it’s completely up to them and not you. Additionally, the meter belongs to the supplier under the Gas Act 1986 and the Electricity Act 1989 so you cannot block it from being replaced or upgraded - the supplier must always be able to access it at anytime without hinderance.

Now, if the meters are Smart Meters then changing this to Pay Monthly is easy - just give OVO a call on 0330 303 5063 and they’ll set up a temporary landlord account for you and help with switching to Credit Mode. You must allow your next tenant to take control of the supply when they move in.

If they are NOT Smart Meters, you’ll need to call Boost first, details at https://boostpower.co.uk/help . Once you’re set up there, you can ask to move to OVO Pay Monthly.

Ok, thanks, I’ll give them a call.