Solved

I've had a new OVO key through but I just topped up the old one, should I put the new key in the meter?

• 10 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Anyone had this situation please....Had my meter  for years , ( Traditional) received NEW key today from OVO , but just topped up OLD key , so do I register NEW key ,after I,ve topped up with OLD which could be a while as I top up in advance ,and at the moment there is plenty in there .

Or is it going to be a situation where my OLD key is not going to work and I loose my recent top up? Or will it still work and I can load my top up as usual,  Then  I activate the new one....sorry if thats confusing…

Ps/ Just to be clear, Its not a smart meter,its an old style one.

Thankyou.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 10 November 2023, 11:38

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Cazzie68 ,

In this situation, if you HAVE NOT yet inserted the NEW key into the meter, I’d recommend you put the OLD key into the meter to transfer the credit to the meter and release it from the key first. Once that’s done, insert the NEW key into the meter to register it and swap the keys over. Do not use the OLD key after that point as it’ll no longer work.

If you HAVE inserted the NEW key into the meter, the OLD key will no longer work. In this situation, please ask the Support Team to issue a refund for the remaining key credit.

Thankyou for your quick reply, O have not registered new key yet, as I was guessing I,d have to load credit from old one 1st ( just wanted to be sure) 

So thankyou for confirming this is what to do . Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

If your intention is to absolutely cram as much credit as possible onto your meter, you may be better off upgrading to Smart Meters. That way, if the meter breaks your remaining credit balance is backed up and known to OVO - making restoring that credit much easier.

You’ll definitely want to drain the old key before making such a request though.

Not cramming in credit ,I just prefer to do it monthly ,which I,ve been doing for years,  over the winter months.  I find it its easier for me. Obviously in the  summer months , it becomes as and when.

Regards

Cazzie 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Cazzie68,

Is this sorted now? 

It’s probably worth getting a smart meter installed so you have more top up options in future. 

There is also the option to switch from pay as you go to pay monthly. Which means you won’t have to worry about going off supply.

You may find the following topics helpful:

I have had any issues,  I just wanted to know if I could still use old key with loaded credit , before registering new one .

I DON,T  want a smart meter , I wasn,t asking about a meter!  And I don't want pay monthly, I,m happy with pay as you go. And I don,t want bombarding with things I haven't asked for/about.

My question HAS been answered and sorted. Nothing else is required thankyou.

Typo error

I haven't had any issues.

Problem solved