Solved

I'm PAYG- Why are Collections saying I'm in debt?

• 5 December 2023
  • 32 replies

I have just received a letter from a collections agency regarding my old SSE account.

when i joined OVO it seems my account was migrated to them with an enormous debt.

this is all new to me, i had a PAYG meter and have for years,i was always led to beleive that any debt incurred would be included in my weekly top ups!!

In trying to contact collections at OVO they are useless.

they pass your problem around and then put the phone down,i want to talk to someone who can really help!!!!

any suggestions will be gratefully received.

icon

Best answer by Abby_OVO 6 December 2023, 10:39

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @TOBYBOBBEY 

Sorry to hear that. I am just a customer like you. Unfortunately you are not alone in having an issue regarding the SSE migration, including those with pre payment meters.

Do you mind saying how much the debt was and when you were migrated?

If you feel you have exhausted chatting to collections you could put in a complaint if you haven't already 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Then after 8 weeks or a deadlock letter you can ask the Energy Ombudsman for help 

https://www.energyombudsman.org/

If you post how you get on it may help other customers in similar situations.

its over £1000!!!!

also its really worrying as i am my wifes carer and she is disabled,just dont need this too.

thanks for the reply 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

its over £1000!!!!

also its really worrying as i am my wifes carer and she is disabled,just dont need this too.

thanks for the reply 👍

Hi @TOBYBOBBEY 

Ask OVO to freeze the collection process while the complaint is ongoing. They should do this automatically.

If you haven’t already sign up for the priority service register as this should help when ovo staff see it.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/priority-services-register

https://www.ovoenergy.com/register-for-priority-services

I have also flagged the ovo moderators as you are vulnerable customers.

many thanks.😁

how do i ask OVO to freeze the debt,cant get throught to anyone for help,all bloody useless!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

how do i ask OVO to freeze the debt,cant get throught o anyone for help,all bloody useless!!

Probably best to wait till the morning now when the OVO moderators will be around @TOBYBOBBEY 

I will prod them if they don't reply to your post.

many thanks for all your help.👌

Userlevel 6

Hey @TOBYBOBBEY 

Sorry to hear about this issue.

I do feel like Jeffus has given some really solid advice above, and I’d definitely get in touch with the Support Team. They can freeze the debt while you have a complaint ongoing, hopefully they come to a solution for you soon, but if the meter is still PAYG, then they should be able to apply it to the meter so that it does get chipped away like you said in your original post, or they can set up a payment plan.

It may also be worth checking the meter readings on the bill are correct and accurate, and that they’re not estimated, as you also don’t want to be paying anything you don’t actually owe.

Jeffus also mentioned the Priority Services Register, which I’d really recommend getting added to if you haven’t already signed up.

Let us know how you get on with Support today, I’ll make sure to check back in on this topic to see how things go.

Many thanks will try 😁

By the way,how do I contact someone when there phone service is useless,I appreciate your advice, however when it comes to getting solid help it's left severely wanting.maybe you have a direct number for someone??:cheers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just a thought.

If you find you are struggling @TOBYBOBBEY you could try calling citizens advice for advice as well.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue-energy/

Tell them you are a vulnerable household and you are struggling to get anyone to talk to you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What is the credit/debt on your PAYG meter at the moment when you look @TOBYBOBBEY ?

Could you post a photo of your meter, and IHD (In Home Display) in case other posters can offer any further advice when they see it.?

Userlevel 6

Hey @TOBYBOBBEY 

If you’ve still been unable to get through via the phone line, we’d suggest using the live chat instead.

We’re not able to give out direct lines as calls to OVO can only be picked up via one line and routed to the right team through the main line, agents don’t have designated phone numbers. 

thank you,but i tried and they are useless too!! they only deal with the most basic of problem and any real help is never there.the whole sytem needs to be overhauled for the sake of the othere millions of customers.

i did however get a response through Facebook and they sorted it all for me,so grateful to all there help and all the advice and help on this forum.

many thanks to all merry christmas and happy new year.🎅🎅🎅🎅

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

thank you,but i tried and they are useless too!! they only deal with the most basic of problem and any real help is never there.the whole sytem needs to be overhauled for the sake of the othere millions of customers.

i did however get a response through Facebook and they sorted it all for me,so grateful to all there help and all the advice and help on this forum.

Good news

🎄

Userlevel 6

Hey @TOBYBOBBEY 

Glad to hear you got there with the team on Facebook.

If there’s ever anything else we can do to help with anything, feel free to pop back any time.🙂

Userlevel 2

I have a similar issue but my debt is with SSE and when I contacted OVO they had no record of any debt. I am trying to get hold of the original bill from SSE. I don’t understand the relationship between SSE and OVO. IF I owe SSE money then I surely owe that to OVO now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@TOBYBOBBEY do you mind sharing the name of the name of the Debt Collection agency that chased you?

It may help with other customer queries on the forum.

So I have lived in my property for almost four years. My electric and gas is with utilita and from day one of living here I have topped these up monthly with a key and card. 
I’ve recently been receiving texts asking me to pay my final bill with OVO and the number supplied came up as a scam so I ignored these. 
two days ago I received a letter stating I owe OVO over £1000 and it leads me to the legitimate website and looks very legit itself. Im yet to contact OVO but I’m baffled and now very stressed. How can I possibly owe them that much when this is the first contact I’ve ever had with them? No direct debits, no emails or previous letters. I rent my property and have been in touch with the estate agents who claim the property has no links to ovo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Chxrlxttie ,

Try calling 0800 069 9831 in the morning.

However, I will also flag this backstage on the forum. Please bear with me - this may take some time.

Thank you :) will flagging get someone to help me? I’m so upset by this 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can’t 100% promise that. But what it will do is cause more eyes to see this thread - that much is certain. Especially since those eyes belong to people I trust a lot.

Okay thank you! Do you think this is some sort of mistake or that I do actually owe them something? I’m more upset that if they do think I owe them something that this is the first I’ve heard from them 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Personally, this feels like either a mistake or someone (not OVO) acting fraudulently somehow.

With that being said, once a Forum Volunteer such as myself bites onto a thread and flags it backstage, we don’t get go until we’re happy with the outcome.

Thank you so much I really appreciate this!