Skip to main content

My pre-payment electric meter is still saying £550 in credit, when I Top-Up £10 it puts £100 on ?

This was supposed to be sorted in the “coming days” according to OVO reply, that was nearly a month ago?

I can’t keep a true track on my usage and Top-Up 

its very worrying 

PLEASE SORT THIS OUT i can’t seem to contact anyone?? No email, Phone a waste of time, don’t do Facebook or anything like that.

Updated on 16/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi @Wissie ,

I’m one of the forum volunteers.

It sounds like you have a SMETS1 Aclara. There’s a known issue with them affecting things like that. This is the info from OVO.

We’re aware that a small number of our In Home Displays have a fault that’s causing them to show incorrect costs. We’ve emailed affected customers in advance to confirm that this is an issue with the display only and not the actual meter, meter reading or energy bills. Customers don’t need to do anything and an automatic fix will happen within the next 24 hours. 

Just this afternoon, OVO shared a private update with the forum volunteers. A firmware update is ready to roll-out to affected meters which will fix this issue. It’s going out in waves and should be fully deployed by the end of the year. Once your meter has the fix, your IHD will get it as well. And immediately afterwards, everything should be back to normal for you.

That’s all well and good but I can’t keep track or check what credit I have, the end of the year ???

why can’t they just replace the meter. I am very worried about getting a big bill from OVO . It is using a lot of electric 

The meter itself will still show the correct data. You can use that until the firmware update is installed. The display there will definitely show your credit balance correctly. Your bills - if you get any - are also unaffected.

The firmware update might be delivered to you anytime between today and the 31st December, but you might get it sooner than that. I can’t tell you when it will happen, only that it will.

This isn’t grounds to replace the meter either, especially since a firmware update will almost certainly fix the issue for good.

Thanks for the reply 

how can it be showing correct data and credit balance when it’s £550 ?? And I’ve used £100 since yesterday?  And when I Top-Up £10 it adds £100 that isn’t the correct credit/data
I don’t understand?

It sounds to me like you’re looking at your In-Home Display rather than the Smart Meter itself.

The black gadget with a colour screen and SSE branding on it is your In-Home Display. For the time being, just divide the numbers by 10 to get your actual credit balance and costs.

The white box somewhere else in the house with a giant green display, blue A and B buttons and Aclara written all over it is the Smart Meter itself. If you’re looking at the display on the meter, everything on it is already correct.

They are not one and the same.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this I appreciate your time in explaining this.

I am not technically minded but you have explained it Thank you, does the £66 credit from the government get credited automatically to the meter 

once again many thanks 

No worries. It’s what I’m here for.

Yup, should do! As you have a Smart Meter, the £66/£67 should be delivered to it automatically without you needing to do anything. OVO/SSE/Boost will also tell you when this has been done. If you’re unsure, give them a call as they’ll be keeping records as to whether it comes through or not - and might be able to give you a UTRN to force it through if it failed the first time.