Solved

Gas supply cut off for three days- Meter says 'Call Help'

• 11 August 2023
  • 20 replies

Hi,

We tried to top up our pay as you go “heritage” meter and were met with a flashing display of “call help”. To cut a long story and multiple (poor signal peppered) conversations short, the engineers have failed to show up twice, and we’re still without a gas supply.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and more so, is there any way to circumvent the singular process put in place to deal with our issue?

Regards,

Customer666

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 11 August 2023, 17:13

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Customer666 ,

I’ve let the forum moderators know. They’ve asked the forum volunteers such as myself to flag cases like this one. If they see the alert today, they’ll aim to respond.

“Call Help” indicates a serious meter fault, it’s always vital that you immediately call the supplier if you ever see that warning.

In the meantime, I strongly recommend that you keep talking to Support via Live Chat at https://ovoenergy.com/help 

Userlevel 7

Updated on 23/08/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Call Help occurs due to the valve inside the meter closing.

This acts as a safety feature stops gas flowing through the meter. 

If a customer is OFF supply, we’d book an emergency appointment.

Hi @Customer666,

Yes I’m sorry to say ‘Call help’ on the gas meter display means that gas meter needs to be replaced. Please contact our Pay As You Go Support team directly when you can to arrange this engineer visit: 0330 175 9669

If there have been any missed appointments for this previously when you weren’t given at least 24 hours notice, you will be owed compensation which can be arranged either during or after the call to arrange this engineer visit. 

I have the same problem been without supply for 5 days they keep telling me someone will be out within ¾ hours and no engineer yet called 3 times today 

Userlevel 6

Hi @Catherine mcc 

I’m really sorry to hear about this, have they been out to you yet or are you still off supply?

As Tim_OVO said, if they’ve been missing appointment’s without any notice, you may be entitled to £30 compensation for each one they’ve missed without letting you know.

Finally after yet more calls the engineer is just away and we’re back on 

Hi I can’t quite believe the situation we’ve been left in.

we have a traditional pay as you go gas meter. Earlier this afternoon (Christmas Eve) the meter started displaying “call help”. The meter was very low on funds (below £2) and would not allow me to top up. I believe this is caused by a fault in the valve in the meter.

i called the emergency OVO line but they informed me that they would not set up an emergency call out until I had ran out of gas, and to phone up when I had. I repeatedly made the point that although I hadn’t ran out, I soon would so couldn’t see the point in delaying the call out. But no, two separate advisors refused and breezily told me to phone back when I’d ran out of gas.

An hour later, and we’ve ran out of gas, but OVO have closed all helplines for the evening. I’ve tried the national gas helpline (who also couldn’t believe the advice OVO had given me, but said because it was a meter fault, they couldn’t help.)

I literally can’t believe those advisors sat there, knowing that I would lose supply to my home in a matter of minutes and did absolutely nothing.

So here I am. Christmas Eve. Two children under the age of 5 in my household (which OVO ARE aware of, gale force winds, and zero gas.

Is there anybody out there that can help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Andy55 

I don't work for ovo, i am just a customer like you.

You could try the OVO twitter or Facebook pages

I don't know if they are working or can action this.

The ovo staff their have access to accounts

If sending a direct message rather than a general post on Facebook or Twitter include your name, address, account number and date of birth to get past security. Include the word Emergency along with any other message.

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

Else it is a matter of waiting until 9 am in the morning for the phone lines to be open

Have tried the twitter route thanks, god I hope it works. Can’t believe have been left in this situation.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Andy55,

I’m so sorry to hear this,

Did you manage to get it sorted?

Hi Emmanuelle. I eventually got sorted yes. But I really think OVO need to look at their protocol on this and feel like I was treated poorly by the two advisors I spoke to.

they both said I would have to phone back when the gas completely ran out, but neglected to say “the whole of OVO is clocking off for the night, so there will be nobody to help you when you do”. I repeatedly explained that we were so low on credit that I would run out by the time an engineer was available anyway, but felt like the whole attitude was ‘not my problem’. As I said earlier, even the advisor at the Nation Gas helpline was shocked at the advice I’d been given.

on a separate note, I know they’re not direct employees of OVO, but the engineer who attended on Xmas day was friendly, positive and brilliantly quick.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The snag there is that it seems to be not just OVO that works this way - pretty much all suppliers seem to require the supply to be off before they can book an emergency job.

Userlevel 6

To me this looks link a “Computer says No” issue, and that it will keep saying no and not let an emergency appointment be booked until the supply is off completely.

Such computer programming issues are frustrating for both the customer, and the support agent who can't override the computer and get it to say Yes and allow a booking to be made.

I agree, I can see why the proviso is there, and if I even had enough to see me through the evening it wouldn’t have bothered me. But it was clear I was going to run out well before any engineer got to me even if they were well within the 3 hours response. So instead of just sorting it out there and then I spent Christmas morning shuttling kids to relatives for a wash, phoning the line to report the fault and then waiting in for the (admittedly cheery for working Christmas) engineer.

Also, when I was on the line to OVO, I repeatedly said “so will I need to phone back later this evening when I’ve ran out”, the advisors just agreed with me, instead of helpfully pointing out, look, we close at five so if it’s not addressed before then, it’s a morning job. Perhaps I should have been aware of this, but it’s Xmas eve, I’ve two small people, etc. From a customer service point of view, pointing this out to me would have helped me and saved a lot of frustration later. As it was I just felt a bit fobbed off.

Userlevel 6

I can well see your point there. they should have said something.

(Maybe they thought you'd run out more quickly? Before they went home? That's not a real excuse though).

“Hello Police

Yes, hello, I’m in the woods and being chased by a seven foot bear.

Has he caught you yet?

No

Ok, phone us back when he has”

Sorry everyone, I do have a working meter now and all is well, so realise I should just settle back on the sofa. Thank you to all for the advice on here and best wishes all for the rest of the holiday.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Paddy and Mick are out hunting together in the woods. Suddenly, Paddy’s gun goes off unexpectedly and Mick crumples to the ground. Paddy, distraught, calls 999.

Paddy: I think I’ve killed my mate. It just went off in my hand. 

Operator: Calm down a minute please, Sir.  Let’s make sure he’s dead first. 

… Brief pause, then BANG!

Paddy: OK, now what?

We’ll all be back to normal next week, but meanwhile, Happy New Year 🍾

Userlevel 7

Hey @Andy55,

I completely understand your frustration, 

It is our policy that an emergency appointment is booked if a customer is off supply, however I absolutely agree you should have been advised the office would be closed.

There is the option to raise a complaint about the misadvise you were given. 

Hi I’m trying to put my credit into my meter and it just says call help??

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @TraceyReeves ,

Please contact OVO directly about this. More info at the thread below.

Userlevel 6

Hey @TraceyReeves 

Did you speak with the Support Team about this like Blastoise recommended? This is the only option to take in this scenario I’m afraid. 

Let us know how you get on.