Solved

Do I have to top up using OBCONNECT?

• 2 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Ovo are now forcing people to top up using OBCONNECT

Have just read their terms and conditions before completing

transaction

The following is just one of the paragraphs in the terms you must give consent to in order to make a payment:

The Account Information retrieved and shared may include your personal account details (such as name, address, email, phone number), transaction history, transaction amounts and descriptions, account name and number, currency, account balance, any overdraft balance, payment due dates and other information about your transactions.

I am disabled, it is incredibly difficult for me to leave the house, having read the above, I now have to walk 1 ½ miles to the nearest shop to top up the card and then walk back

Why does ovos vile new partner need my transaction history/overdraft balance/etc.etc.etc.?

Thank you ovo.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 2 March 2024, 14:19

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @rgq ,

Actually, you DO NOT have to use that method. OBConnect only comes into play if you use the Pay By Bank Transfer method. If you use any other, such as this one, OBConnect sees absolutely nothing at all because it doesn’t get involved with any other method - it’s purely for the Pay By Bank option.

In addition, using the Pay By Card method does NOT allow OVO nor OBConnect to see anything about your bank balance - only Open Banking permits that. Debit/Credit Cards do not.

The only reason that statement exists in the terms at all is because Open Banking permits that access. Even if OVO And OBConnect don’t use it, they have to tell you that they might have access to it via Open Banking because there’s no easy way for them to just turn off that access and reduce the scope to what they’d rather it be.

If you’re not comfortable with that, just use the Pay By Card method instead and fling the payment via your credit/debit card. The terms and conditions for that method can be found here along with the Privacy Policy, where there is no reference to OBConnect, Open Banking or anything at all that grants access to your banking data.

Either way, nothing gets shared unless you consent, you can revoke Open Banking rights whenever you want - and the access permissions expire after 90 days anyway.