Solved

Why have I lost smart half hourly usage data on Daily usage section of online account?

Show first post

275 replies

Userlevel 2

It’s gone fine till these past ten days.

I’ve been an hour on the helpline only to find it’s the middle of May before anyone can come out to see what’s happening between the gas meter outside and the smart meter. I’m now queued on the OVO  WhatsApp. It’s so stressful, exacerbating my M.E.

Is there a simple way to take a manual reading from the gas meter? I can’t navigate the website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s gone fine till these past ten days.

I’ve been an hour on the helpline only to find it’s the middle of May before anyone can come out to see what’s happening between the gas meter outside and the smart meter. I’m now queued on the OVO  WhatsApp. It’s so stressful, exacerbating my M.E.

Is there a simple way to take a manual reading from the gas meter? I can’t navigate the website.

The gas meter can usually be read by pressing a button to wake it up. 

Userlevel 2

Do you know which button?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It depends on the meter but I just press button A on mine so the reading here for example is 02374

Userlevel 7

Hey @Technophobe,

Sorry for the issues you're having,

Still no luck and according to the app, no readings for gas have gone in ten days. I have a disability and filling in the online form is problematic, also having to go outside to attempt to get a reading from the meter. This is incredibly stressful. I do not want to get into estimated readings!

If you’re added to the Priority Services Register we can send regular meter readers to your property, we can also ask that a Smart Meter Health Check is performed so that if your meter has lost communications with us our team can investigate.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you so much, both of you. Yes, I had a smart meter health checker sent, but it's completely beyond me. I think the smart meter has lost connection with the WiFi, but that doesn't explain why electricity readings come through daily without a problem, but not gas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you so much, both of you. Yes, I had a smart meter health checker sent, but it's completely beyond me. I think the smart meter has lost connection with the WiFi, but that doesn't explain why electricity readings come through daily without a problem, but not gas.

Is the gas meter a distance from the electric? It’s the electricity meter that has the communication hub and so the gas meter has to link to that for the readings to be passed on. The gas meter works off battery so it’s not as good on data feeds

Userlevel 2

The gas meter is outside and a good distance from the electric, but the readings have been perfect till recently.

Userlevel 2

It depends on the meter but I just press button A on mine so the reading here for example is 02374

Thank you!

Userlevel 2

Well, the smart meter has somehow sorted itself out or perhaps I've managed to do it. The app is still saying no gas readings have been possible since March 18th and requesting a manual reading which I've now been able to do from the smart meter. However, gas usage from boiler coming on at 8a.m. today is already registering at £3.47 and the heating has been off since 7p.m. last night! I'm starting to wonder if smart meters are as reliable as first thought in certain circumstances. There seem quite a range of variables. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well, the smart meter has somehow sorted itself out or perhaps I've managed to do it. The app is still saying no gas readings have been possible since March 18th and requesting a manual reading which I've now been able to do from the smart meter. However, gas usage from boiler coming on at 8a.m. today is already registering at £3.47 and the heating has been off since 7p.m. last night! I'm starting to wonder if smart meters are as reliable as first thought in certain circumstances. There seem quite a range of variables. 

If the cost is from your display (IHD) it might still be catching up. The readings from your meter are the main feed for cost and bills

Userlevel 2

So, the app info may not be accurate either? In terms of it saying no readings possible since March 18th? The readings will have gone through daily between then and now anyway? It all seems terribly complicated and a bit unreliable, but these things aren't easy for me at the best of times! Thanks again.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I moved from Shell to OVO on the 13th April since when I have NO usage data in the app.  Was working fine when I was with Shell and I can see all my data fine in the Loop app

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, the Loop (and other) 3rd party apps use a different data set. For any switch it can take a while for the meters to re- sync. Worth keeping an eye on and updating readings manually in the meantime if you can to prevent estimated readings

Userlevel 2

Again no data for gas 16/05/2023 no gas data for 17/05/2023 no gas or electrify data for 18/05/2023. Spoke with OVO on phone said dealing with it by TECH Team nothing as of yet smart meter at premises was definitely wrong way to go all this does is help government and OVO as for consumer it is a no no. Anybody else having problems on OVO Website.  

getting daily elec reading cost, but mo gas costing

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @nudge , meter readings ok or not?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

My meters (both) have just had a few days ‘off’ but are back recording now. I tend to send readings if they’ve not recorded for a few days just to prevent any estimates being used

Again no data for gas 16/05/2023 no gas data for 17/05/2023 no gas or electrify data for 18/05/2023. Spoke with OVO on phone said dealing with it by TECH Team nothing as of yet smart meter at premises was definitely wrong way to go all this does is help government and OVO as for consumer it is a no no. Anybody else having problems on OVO Website.  

I’m missing data for the 14th when I look at it through billing and breakdown of charges, but they’ve charged it and the detail is actually there when I look directly through the usage tab. 

My online account and ovo app still isn't showing my monthly energy usage in costs just KWH, this has been going on since 1st March, I've given up phoning them so hopefully one day they'll get round to fixing this problem  my d'art meter is sending readings so don't understand why they can't convert readings to costs.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Then i would simply put in a complaint and sit back and wait. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

complaints@ovoenergy.com

Then after 8 weeks ask the Energy Ombudsman to intervene if it is still not resolved. 

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

Seeing kWh but not costs on the monthly usage page is regularly raised as an issue on this forum from time to time. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Mat 

Sorry to hear about the usage graph not showing costs. Can you confirm if this is for the charts that show your usage for each month and day, and not just for every half hour? If it’s just every half hour, the online account is correct in not adding the costs. 

Graph isn't showing costs for monthly and daily been this way since 1st March 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Graph isn't showing costs for monthly and daily been this way since 1st March 

The Daily usage page has never shown cost data

An Idea was raised 9 months ago, vote on this if you would like to see it in the future

The monthly usage page should be showing cost data. 

In the past OVO have said this needs the IT team (Kaluza) to fix for individual users who are impacted. If you have logged this with OVO, they will have hopefully passed on the case. It is a relatively common issue raised on the forum. I haven’t heard of any long term fix from OVO. 

I never had this problem with SSE. No point phoning ovo they just fob you off with the same excuse they'll log it with I.T 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I never had this problem with SSE. No point phoning ovo they just fob you off with the same excuse they'll log it with I.T 

I suspect you are correct, the front line OVO staff won't be able to do anything else. 

Putting in a complaint via email with all the info on it, including a link to this thread and then just leaving it for now is probably the easiest thing if you did want to do anything else now.

Alternatively download one of the regulated 3rd party apps while you are waiting if you haven't already, albeit the data they use is slightly different

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

https://glowmarkt.com/bright

https://loop.homes/