Skip to main content
Solved

When are 70,000 THTC consumers going to get smart meters and affordable unit rates!

• 22 December 2023
  • 1 reply

My Sept-Dec 2023 usage was close to £1500 for a well insulated 3-bed detached all electric bungalow on the Moray Coast kept at between 18-20C by Dimplex Quantum storage and Monteray panel heaters all set to 'Home All Day' on their automatic timers.  So much for the OFGEM National Average consumption figures, am I alone in struggling to afford paying for the Green Revolution? 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

THTC is a legacy tariff type that was created several decades ago. The value of it in 2024 compared to 1980 has somewhat… Diminished… However. in quite a few cases where folks are in Load Managed Areas mandated by the DNO, there is no option other than THTC - this would be beyond the control of any supplier, not just OVO.

There are only two known suppliers that have THTC support at all - OVO (because of the SSE integration) and Scottish Power. All the rest don’t seem to support it as far as I can tell.

Most other suppliers are not keen to take on THTC customers.

Probably worth mentioning that OVO never originally wanted to offer THTC - it’s only because they inherited it from SSE that they’re supporting it at all. The rates are however, unchanged from what SSE used to offer. If memory serves, they haven’t changed for a couple of years before the switchover either.

With that being said, OVO is working on Smart Meter support for THTC. I’ve been informed that they should start being ready in the first half of 2024.