Solved

Trees breaking power lines - can OVO help?

• 6 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Over the last two years we have had four power cuts, due to trees falling on the powerlines.

The power lines in question, go through a relative narrow tunnel surrounded by pine trees.

Storm Arwin dislodged some and since them it has gone from bad to worse and any new storm causes new damage. The engineers come in and fix the cables, however leave the surrounding trees alone.

I am interested to know , if it is up to OVO ( SSE) or the land owner to clear a sufficient wide area to prevent further damage.

icon

Best answer by Firedog 6 January 2024, 18:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Ruud ,

If my understanding is correct, it’s up to the landowner. As an energy supplier only, OVO is not responsible for any kind of power lines at all, however a DNO may need to assist with anything that’s close to a power line.

I’d recommend having a chat with your DNO to find out more about how to do that safely.

Userlevel 7
Badge

It’s the electricity distributor (the Distribution Network Operator, DNO) that’s responsible for keeping tree growth at a safe distance from overhead power lines. In Scotland, that may be SSE Networks. There was a separate electricity supplier called SSE that was bought by OVO, but suppliers only sell electricity to customers - they don’t distribute it around the country.

As far as I can tell from this helpful page, the DNO has a legal duty to keep trees under control, normally in consultation with the landowner. OVO can’t help, I’m afraid.