Skip to main content

Hoping someone here can help because this has been an on-going battle since before OVO took over SSE and it’s gotten progressively worse recently. 

I live in a house that’s meters haven’t been checked, inspected, whatever since at least 1993.  I have two meters - one for my storage heaters and water tank, and one for standard electricity.  I’ve been trying to get this changed to either a smart meter if available OR just a standard single meter with a day or night rate. 

I have email chain(s) going on with SSE/OVO (One email chain is using @sseenergyservices.com and the other is @ovo.com hence posting here) that I seem to just be going around in circles.  I finally got through to the Electric Heating Team (EHT) about two weeks ago who changed me onto a single rate THTC tarrif, so both my standard and heating meters are at the same rate - but based on the readings that I’ve been providing, it’s still nearly 500 a month just for two storage heaters and a water tank.

Has anyone else had problems being switched to a single meter?  It’s driving me insane and I can’t change providers even if I wanted to because I’m currently bent over a barrel with an old meter system that they won’t change that no one else supports.

Edit: Just to add, it’s Radio Teleswitch Total Heat Total Control (THTC) to be specific.

What’s probably worth noting however, is something that both myself and @metalsman have been trying to make clear (thanks for the assist by the way, much appreciated!).

The stance we’re taking on the Forum is to try and avoid making promises that we’re not 1,000,000% confident about - such as whether you can simply come off of THTC anytime soon. We’ve opted for this because we don’t want to get peoples hopes up only to throw you off of a cliff later when it doesn’t happen - it’s much better to burst that bubble now and replace it with a new one “later” if that makes sense.

As it so happens, I was chatting to a couple of National Grid engineers about THTC today (as in their DNO engineers who used to be part of Western Power Distribution) since I’m able to do that from time to time, these guys work on the 11,000V substations and transformers as part of their day jobs, so they know what they’re talking about. Didn’t get tons of time per se, but enough for a quick chat. Please note that I don’t normally get direct access to these engineers - it’s literally just a one-off thing and I can’t just turn it into a free-for-all to ask whatever I want for hours on end. I can only get maybe 10-20 minutes a day with them for a few days this month and that’s about it (and I kinda want to make the most of that for more than just one thing!).

They also seem to be taking the same stance - much of the infrastructure stuff is considered sensitive info that cannot be shared publicly because of the risks involved. Likewise, they share the views that the infrastructure up north desperately needs to be upgraded before anyone can even think about permanently nuking THTC completely.

While these specific engineers don’t work up in Scotland, they know how this stuff works pretty well and the discussions I’ve had - while they can’t be posted here - has given me some new info that I can use to further my research in the background.

Appreciate the update. 

It's interesting to note that when THTC was introduced it benefited both the regional energy boards, by managing demand, and the customers, as they were offered attractive tariffs and modern heating systems (storage htrs) to assist to the uptake. It seems nowadays that we have DNOs and separate energy suppliers the only party who still benefit from THTC are the DNOs. The energy suppliers only see THTC as an inconvenience but because its still being used to manage demand the customers are stuck with probably the most ineffective and expensive heating systems - at a time when the government are trying to encourage people to install more energy efficient heating systems. I do appreciate it's not an easy fix but the customers do appear to be getting the raw end of the deal by having no choice and very limited communications. 

Howdy!

Please watch this space, some hot news is on the way regarding the future of THTC. So hot in fact, that I’ve not even had a chance to write the post yet - I literally just got told it today.

At the moment, it’s not ready for primetime juuuuuuuuuuuust yet, but I’m going to start working on getting it written up later this week and hopefully get some initial feedback. I want to make sure it covers as many bases as possible because I can already foresee it blowing up the internet pretty rapidly - and I REALLY don’t wanna mess it up! :)

Please allow me some time to get things written up and checked over, as well as getting permission to make it public (I need OVO’s permission for this one!). We don’t yet have an exact date as to when I can spill the beans, but please keep watching the Forum - feel free to check in anytime and we’ll try to tell you whatever can be made public at that point.

Brilliant posts. Thanks for all your help. I had no idea that Utilities was such a 'minefield!'. I suppose like everyone I just expected, to able to get an energy package that suits my needs. These Energy/Utilities must have something like a 'thirty year plan' to work to. I know the infrastructure/hardware is so out of date, and that technology leaps ahead, and I am stuck somewhere in the middle with my THTC!!!! Not going to do anything rash, just stay with OVO and monitor the costs and see what the future brings. This forum has been very helpful, learned more about the state of Utilities in the UK than countless phonecalls to OVO. Thanks again🙂

Well, in some ways being me has its privileges. I was able to access OVO’s Smart Meter Lab again today - which is HIGHLY restricted access - and had the chance to speak to one of my internal contacts at OVO. This person prefers to remain anonymous which is a request I respect, but they know an absolute ton about this stuff - literally more than I do - and have helped me out several times in the past when I’ve gotten stuck myself.

It’s because of that visit that I now know the planned future for THTC and it’s actually quite interesting - not least because this time, I actually got to see the physical THTC Smart Meter Test Rig rather than just a photo of it on a slideshow.

We were in there for maybe a good hour or so, which was plenty of time for the “Brain Frying Machine in the Cabinet of Doom” that is the Arqiva WAN Rebroadcasting Unit to have fried our brains - except it didn’t because that stuff doesn’t happen outside of comics. And if that monster can’t fry my brain after being directly exposed to it for an hour, then neither can Smart Meters that are 100x less powerful. :)

You’re enjoying all this teasing, I suspect...

You’re enjoying all this teasing, I suspect...

To be brutally honest… I actually don’t enjoy having to keep stuff secret - I genuinely want to just get it out there into the world now. Alas, NDA’s and embargos are a thing and I have to respect them.

As soon as I’m able to make it public, I plan to do so and you’ll know once it’s live when you see it. Ultimately, given that I’ve not even had a chance to sit down and write the private draft yet, there isn’t anything I can get reviewed right now. It’s probably going to take me a while to write this beast out anyway - researching this stuff is complicated.

The other way to get faster access to some of this stuff is by becoming one of the Forum Volunteers, which would allow you to learn certain things more or less at the same time I do.

I had an email about this earlier today.

It stated that due to the RTS signal being switched off in 2025 we needed to have a new smart meter installed.

It also confirmed it would be set to economy 10 hours, and confirmed the hours in the email.

I've booked in to have one installed and then went on the online chat to get it confirmed that it was 100% economy 10 hours and they confirmed it all again in the chat.

And you are definitely on a THTC meter?  Are you based in Northern Scotland or elsewhere?

And you are definitely on a THTC meter?  Are you based in Northern Scotland or elsewhere?

Sorry I was replying about the RTS part! We just have one meter Economy 10!

We've just had the update today to say we can finally have a smart meter with economy 10 hours. 

Before today they said we couldn't switch due to our meter using the RTS as our boiler charges in off peak hours and for our heating etc. 

Just wanna jump in here a sec! The latest info from my records that I’m allowed to post publicly is this, in case it helps:

Flat Rate → Smart Flat Rate: Available now!

RTS Economy 7 → Smart Economy 7: Available now!

Local (Non-RTS) Economy 7 → Smart Economy 7 Available now!

RTS Economy 10 → Smart Economy 10: Will be Available from July 2024

Local (Non-RTS) Economy 10 → Smart Economy 10: Will be Available from July 2024

THTC → Smart Meters: Not ready yet.

Please wait for my update post for the full details of all known tariff setups - I’ll be starting to write it up this week and once it goes public, you’ll know for definite what the status of everything is at that point

Just wanna jump in here a sec! The latest info from my records that I’m allowed to post publicly is this, in case it helps:

Flat Rate → Smart Flat Rate: Available now!

RTS Economy 7 → Smart Economy 7: Available now!

Local (Non-RTS) Economy 7 → Smart Economy 7 Available now!

RTS Economy 10 → Smart Economy 10: Will be Available from July 2024

Local (Non-RTS) Economy 10 → Smart Economy 10: Will be Available from July 2024

THTC → Smart Meters: Not ready yet.

Please wait for my update post for the full details of all known tariff setups - I’ll be starting to write it up this week and once it goes public, you’ll know for definite what the status of everything is at that point

Any update? I'm now being offered a slot in mid july (ZE1 postcode) to install a smart meter, currently have a 3 meter, 2 mpan storage heater setup, so looks like there's been some progress. Although I'm removing the storage heaters and moving to a single meter setup for an A2A, OVO have said I can do this when they install the smart meter, but I'm going to contact them first to make sure the engineer is aware of this plan. I have a letter from OVO saying they'll do this after my complaint to the ombudsman was upheld so let's see how it goes.

Howdy!

If you’ve been offered the upgrade, we strongly recommend you accept it.

That’s a sign OVO has identified your account as being eligible for upgrade. :)

Can't quite believe this, but when I logged in to our account today there was a message offering us a smart meter... it's booked for 15th July!!  We're expecting a sharp intake of breath when the engineer looks in our hall cupboard and sees the THTC meter but fingers crossed for a positive result...... I'll update on progress on 15th.

Hmm… Seems like I’ll have to switch over to OVO from octopus seeing as the new meters are FINALLY happening now. Good luck Cassie!

@Blastoise186 Is there any ETA on when your writeup on the news Re; THTC smart meters will be approved for publication?

It’s currently under review by one or more internal teams. A powerful contact of mine is leading that review. I’ll know more soon.

Can't quite believe this, but when I logged in to our account today there was a message offering us a smart meter...

You get personal messages within your online account?  I don’t see a ‘messages’ section on mine, but they do send me emails.

We got a message on the home page saying we could have a smart meter.  There was a "book now" button which I clicked and there was a choice of appointments. I chose one and got an email to say the appointment was confirmed. That was yesterday....and I knew it was too good to be true. Today an email arrived saying the appointment was cancelled....but we can book another one!! There's no way to book another one because the link on the home page has now changed to an advert for an energy saving check. 

Waiting patiently for Blastoise186 to share his news on the way forward for us...🤞

Nothing new from me at the moment I’m afraid. All I can say is that my contact - and the Forum Moderators - did an initial look-see through the article and couldn’t find any obvious errors. It’s now with an entire team to dig deeper and go through it with a fine tooth comb.

What I can tell you however, is that a lot of people behind the scenes agree that it needs to smash it first time and my article isn’t the only thing that needs to be that way - literally EVERYTHING related to the RTS Meter → Smart Meter Migration needs to be absolutely perfected or it’ll all implode in a giant fireball.

With that being said, we intend to have it cover as many RTS Meter types as we can reasonably do the research for - what’s happening with THTC is definitely on the to-do list for it and the current draft has some of that already written in.

Until they approve, I can’t have it posted publicly. Forum Volunteers do get early access to this stuff (and more!) though - you might receive an invitation to join us if you stick around and help out for a while.

I will let you in on a secret or two though. Firstly, the project in question has had an absolute ton of man hours ploughed into it. If you just consider the time I’ve spent doing my own research and handling stuff here on the Forum, you’d be talking roughly a couple of hundred hours or so. If you add in OVO’s teams… We’re talking probably 10k+ man hours so far if you factor in everything RTS related.

I can also tell you that at one point (back in ~2020), the industry was considering the option of using the Secure Liberty 114 which has seven terminals and might have worked… If it wasn’t for the fact it’s a SMETS1 unit and the industry REALLY didn’t want to be deploying any more of those after 2018… It would have just caused more headaches than it’d have solved - and that’s without factoring in the Twin Element functionality of that model. By comparison, the SMETS2 Aclara SGM1416-B that’s used for tons of Economy 7 installs is Single Element but has some extra magic tricks just in case.

For now, try https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com again. If you ARE eligible, it’ll offer you a slot. Otherwise, try Live Chat at https://ovoenergy.com/help or 0330 303 5063 to see what can be done.

Nothing new from me at the moment I’m afraid. All I can say is that my contact - and the Forum Moderators - did an initial look-see through the article and couldn’t find any obvious errors. It’s now with an entire team to dig deeper and go through it with a fine tooth comb.

What I can tell you however, is that a lot of people behind the scenes agree that it needs to smash it first time and my article isn’t the only thing that needs to be that way - literally EVERYTHING related to the RTS Meter → Smart Meter Migration needs to be absolutely perfected or it’ll all implode in a giant fireball.

With that being said, we intend to have it cover as many RTS Meter types as we can reasonably do the research for - what’s happening with THTC is definitely on the to-do list for it and the current draft has some of that already written in.

Until they approve, I can’t have it posted publicly. Forum Volunteers do get early access to this stuff (and more!) though - you might receive an invitation to join us if you stick around and help out for a while.

I will let you in on a secret or two though. Firstly, the project in question has had an absolute ton of man hours ploughed into it. If you just consider the time I’ve spent doing my own research and handling stuff here on the Forum, you’d be talking roughly a couple of hundred hours or so. If you add in OVO’s teams… We’re talking probably 10k+ man hours so far if you factor in everything RTS related.

I can also tell you that at one point (back in ~2020), the industry was considering the option of using the Secure Liberty 114 which has seven terminals and might have worked… If it wasn’t for the fact it’s a SMETS1 unit and the industry REALLY didn’t want to be deploying any more of those after 2018… It would have just caused more headaches than it’d have solved - and that’s without factoring in the Twin Element functionality of that model. By comparison, the SMETS2 Aclara SGM1416-B that’s used for tons of Economy 7 installs is Single Element but has some extra magic tricks just in case.

For now, try https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com again. If you ARE eligible, it’ll offer you a slot. Otherwise, try Live Chat at https://ovoenergy.com/help or 0330 303 5063 to see what can be done.

Thousands of man hours - at last we start to see action!  Can I suggest that doing a lot of research could have been avoided if only OVO had asked customers, who had already done hundreds of hours of research and the same number of hours writing to MP’s, for their feedback and experiences. As a person who has been researching THTC for over 12 years (its been in my home for over 26 years) I read a lot of misconceptions in this and other sections of the forum over the RTS service and its impending shut down and the implications on customers.

My tuppence worth for what its worth is that there is a distinction between “dynamic” and “dumb” radio switching. Nearly all (there are a very small number of exceptions) Economy7 and 10 meters that have RTS meters are actually dumb as they have set switching times dependent on the supplier so do not need radio teleswitching - existing SMET2 smart meters can carry out that function. You can see from a previous post there are solutions ready now(as of July) for “set” times but THTC that uses “dynamic” timing is “tbc”

The issue is with “dynamic” teleswitching where the times of the “cheap” (I use that word advisedly as they are not cheap) rate can vary daily.  In the case of the THTC tariff (other suppliers have differing tariffs e.g. Warmwise but use dynamic switching) the difference can be hours per day as the radio signal duration is dependent on the weather.  What is guaranteed by the THTC tariff supplier is that we will get between 5 and 12 hours “cheap” rate dependent on the weather forecast. So you can see that times can vary And herein lies the rub - heating and hot water must be on separate circuits to the rest of the household supply which normally means 2 meters and 2 consumer units.  To replace the 2 meters with a single smart meter capable of differing times of supply each day has been the problem especially as the smart meter installer has to ensure the installation is not to the detriment of the customer. This means that the customer should not have to change wiring within their house at their cost. Now that is a cost the suppliers do not want to have to bear hence the drive to find a solution now that the radio signal has to be switched of next June.

While I am at it, I should explain why I use the word cheap in inverted commas. How come suppliers can offer 4 or more hours of overnight cheap rate electricity at 6p per  kWh - actually OVO have an EV tariff of 7p per kWh at ANY time for compatible EV’s - yet customers on their “cheap” rate for heating have to pay, in my case, 19.6p per kWh.  This is a total rip off as the customer on THTC tariff has no option to change suppliers as other suppliers will not touch them or even quote as soon as you say your existing tariff is THTC because of the dynamic switching times. The only alternative is to rip out their electric heating and replace it with an alternative. AND you still have the hassle of getting the smart meter installed to replace the 2 MPAN setup at present.

I see however that OFGEM are running out of patience with those companies who are dragging their feet over smart meter installations and “smart” meters that don’t actually work.  They wrote to companies at the start of the year highlighting their concern on the lack of movement on this issue.  They have now opened a formal compliance notice against companies who are not meeting their obligations under the terms of their licence - including OVO. This appears to have instigated the “thousands of man hours) quoted above.
Ofgem opens compliance engagement into British Gas, EDF, E.ON, Octopus, OVO and Scottish Power relating to smart meter obligations | Ofgem

It should be noted that the opening of these compliance cases does not imply that Ofgem has made any findings about non-compliance. 

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Totally agree with the comment re the "cheap" rate that's 19.6p per kWh. The least OVO could do, to compensate us for the length of time they have been looking at a solution, is give us a really competitive tariff. We might even stay with OVO after this is all sorted out!!! 

That’s because stuff like Charge Anytime can act like a guided missile and gobble up spare super green mega cheap eco juice in the exact 30-minute slots where it’s available - RTS stuff like THTC cannot do that. This is just part of the reason why CA is so cheap in comparison.

As for the rest? If you manage to score an invite to the Smart Meter Lab at OVO’s Bristol Office… Let’s just say a friend of mine works there and he could quite literally talk to you all day about RTS, THTC and Smart Meters. I’ve made use of two such invites to date - and they help a ton.

The easiest method that we know of to score said invite without being OVO Staff (and specifically OVO Staff assigned to work in said lab) is by becoming a Forum Volunteer on the OVO Forum - we get invited down there from time to time. Perks of the job, so to speak.

If you did your research properly, you’d also know that OVO has Heatwise among the tariffs on it’s books - this almost identical to Warmwise but a slightly different setup. Ultimately, OVO’s tariff range was never just Flat Rate, E7, E10 and THTC - there were literally TONS of stupidly complex tariff and meter types that OVO inherited from SSE.

Oh, and OVO has Warmwise on its books too - that’ll be because of SSE Atlantic that got folded back into SSE before the SSE to OVO Migration ever happened.

And herein lies the rub - heating and hot water must be on separate circuits to the rest of the household supply which normally means 2 meters and 2 consumer units. 

Thanks for your insight. I’m afraid I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to replace these old two-meter systems with a single modern one.

However, having separate circuits for heating and hot water is quite normal for those on special arrangements like Economy 7. I’m not sure that it’s necessary, but it may simplify things a bit. It hasn’t been a requirement to have separate meters for these circuits* for many years, and I suspect that originally it was an anti-fraud measure designed to prevent customers from running other stuff at the cheap rate. It should be a simple matter to feed separate CUs from a single smart meter, with no other rewiring needed (I have three CUs in my little one-bed cottage allegedly heated by cheaper E7 electricity). 

This may be part of the problem, though. Unlike Economy 7, Economy 10 plans allow for cheap-rate periods in daytime, typically 1-4 PM and 8-10 PM, to get round the problem of storage heaters running out of steam before they’re most needed on cold winter’s evenings. It may be that these plans are often so much more expensive because there’s nothing - other than a separate heating meter and sealed CU, that is - to stop people doing their washing and drying, cooking and washing-up during cheap-rate daytime hours. You can imagine the effect this would have on the inadequate distribution networks Blastoise mentioned. 

*  Here’s a 30-year-old dual-rate meter with an electromechanical timer that switches power on and off to the heating circuits and also switches between registers on the meter:

If you did your research properly, you’d also know that OVO has Heatwise among the tariffs on it’s books - this almost identical to Warmwise but a slightly different setup. Ultimately, OVO’s tariff range was never just Flat Rate, E7, E10 and THTC - there were literally TONS of stupidly complex tariff and meter types that OVO inherited from SSE.

Oh, and OVO has Warmwise on its books too - that’ll be because of SSE Atlantic that got folded back into SSE before the SSE to OVO Migration ever happened.

And if you read my post correctly you will see that I said I had researched THTC over the last 12 years - why would I research tariffs that are not available in my area?

Tons of stupid tariffs they inherited? - that only proves to me OVO did not carry out due diligence during their audit of the sellers books. And research shows that these tariffs available in  Scotland were introduced by the then legacy suppliers to prevent them from investing in the network as it did not have the capacity to supply all those customers who had no access to alternative gas supply. Hence load managed areas in many parts of Scotland (now belatedly being corrected).

Also, you stated in a much earlier post that we have to stop using the old legacy supplier names - you told me off for that and here you are quoting them willy nilly!

Actually, many of these tariffs - if not all of them - were created by the electricity boards prior to the privatisation in the 1990’s, a time when pretty much all roles were handled by a single entity across an entire region. Following the split, the DNO role and Supplier role were effectively split up and demerged into different companies - which is partly why we have the current system that exists today.

OVO and SSE (nor ANY other Supplier) did not create THTC - a predecessor to the whole system did. It was those predecessors i.e. the electricity boards who refused to invest in the infrastructure - and later the DNO’s up north who took that stuff on.

These tariffs were a necessary evil back then and unfortunately - to a lesser degree - remain a necessary evil even to this day. The reason that the Forum Volunteers here do all this research is to have as much coverage as possible. I’m nowhere near Scotland and yet I still have a pretty decent knowledge of what’s going on with the grid up there - I have industry contacts for that.

As for lack of due diligence? Please provide proof to back up your claim, otherwise it’s easy to be picked apart as speculation. Do you seriously think OVO wouldn’t have looked into that after all? I know for a fact, they did. Ultimately, SSE wanted to quit the retail market and if OVO didn’t take that part of the business on, someone else would have eventually had it dumped on their doorstep instead.

The only way to get the full story is by digging very deep into non-public sources - even I struggle to do that.

While I’m at it, the thousands of man hours I referred to is NOT just for research. Sure, Research and Development is definitely in there, but you’ve also got stuff like:

• Customer support
  • Designing and Testing stuff
  • Writing TONS of new code across loads of systems around the industry - and not just OVO’s systems
  • Upstream manufacturing
  • Engineer Training
  • Deployment

And a whole bunch more. Even just deploying a fairly bog standard Ubiquiti UniFi and Google Workspace setup (this doesn’t even factor my more powerful tools and toys like Addigy, Faronics Deploy/Deep Freeze Cloud, Ninite Pro, website builds and Sophos Central) takes me around a day or two to deploy just for a small business, so try scaling that up by a few million sites and you start to get some idea of just how big these projects can get.

Oh, the day or two deployment time is also factoring my ability to speedrun because I’ve done it enough times at this point. Previously it used to take me up to a week!