Skip to main content
Question

Previous Tenant Final Bill Being Sent to Debt Collectors

• 7 September 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi, Here are the details of my issue:

I Moved In: 01 July 2024

Previous Tenant Moved Out: 30 June 2024

I successfully set up my OVO Account with a meter reading early July and have been paying ever since. I also told OVO in July about the letters for the previous tenant

Also Since then I have continued to receive OVO letters addressed to the occupier regarding the final bill for the OVO Account of the previous tenant that is completely different to mine. Now I see that it is being sent to Debt Collectors.

What do I do? Will this affect me? Will the debt collectors charge me? I am so confused and I have no Idea why OVO arne’t addressing this.

It isn’t that much of an unusual situation following a house move to get bills for a previous tenant/owner, usually just addressed to ‘The Occupier’.

There are legal reasons why it happens.

See this thread from a week ago where I explain why it happens and how to deal with it:

Hey @Ironwarrior887

I can see @Nukecad has already linked you to a helpful article where they explained this in more detail. It isn’t something that you need to worry about as you’re only financially liable from when you get the keys to the property. If you like I can merge this thread with the existing one so we can keep this all under the same area and try and offer as much advice as we can?