Solved

I've just moved in, called up to set up an account but didn't receive a welcome email and can't log in into my online account?

Show first post

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Flet ,

I’m sorry, but the OVO Forum isn’t the right place to submit account specific complaints, as forum volunteers such as myself cannot handle them, nor access your account.

With that being said however, I do have some thoughts - and to manage expectations, please be advised that everything I say is in a personal capacity and not the official views of OVO Energy.

To me, parts of this complaint aren’t valid. By moving into a property supplied by OVO, you are giving deemed consent to initiate services and supplies that OVO is providing, even if you haven’t yet set up an account. The amount of usage in those three days would have been minimal anyway, so you’re maybe talking 20p or so of usage charges and less than £2 of standing charges. These can be wiped if you can prove when you actually took on the property, such as with that contract of sale. You can also tell OVO the date you moved in as anything in between is for the estate agent to deal with.

The Estimated Annual Consumption figures will be recalculated if you are seen to use less energy than predicted, but it takes at least one season to get sufficient data for this. Having a smart meter will also make this easier. The best way to reset the EAC is to use less energy than what the previous householder did.

To set up an account and get things going, please call 0330 303 5063. You’ll want the option of having a new account/recently signed up from the menu.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Flet,

I’m sorry for the issues you’ve experienced getting in touch with Support.

To set up your initial account this will need to be done over the phone as it’s a verbal contract. Once this has been set up you will be able to manage your account online

When you move into a new property you inherit the supplier at that property, in your case OVO. You can choose to switch to a new supplier but would still need to set up an interim account to pay for the energy used in between.  

We’ve got a really great guide which might help answer some of your questions here:

You can disregard that occupier letter once your account has been set up as you will receive a new one in your name from the date you took liability of the property. Don’t forget to submit the meter readings from the day you moved in! 

I hope this helps.

I recently contacted OVO and a helpful (I thought) customer services rep called me back. I opened an account over the phone and was asked during the process by the rep if I had received the email giving account details. I had not. Will be with you shortly she said. It still had not arrived by the end of the conversation. I”ll ring you back this pm (yesterday) she said at about 3:15 or failing that will email you. No call or email received and the account opening email has not been received either. Not a good start and maybe I just cancel now. Even the opening was strange as the quote the rep gave me was more than double that which I got when I checked on line before making contact.

Userlevel 7

Hey @ColinG,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Once you set up an account, if it’s a new switch, you usually get an email within 24 hours, or a letter within 5 working days for your Welcome Pack to arrive. I wonder if your communication preference was set to paper? I’d advise checking your Junk/Spam inbox. 

New account information may not be sent for up to one week (email) or two weeks (post) if you’ve moved into a property already supplied by OVO. 

If you are a new customer switching to OVO the system you would use to get a quote online is the same system we’d use to sign you up internally. It may be that the advisor added in extra details such as your annual consumption figures which has made the quote different to what you initially put in. 

If you are moving into a home OVO supplies the quote would be based on the previous usage of the property, if you used the ‘Quote and Switch’ tool previously, it wouldn’t have used this data.

You won’t be billed based on the estimated direct debit, you are billed based on the price you pay per unit of energy you use and the daily standing charge. As long as the rates are the same as those you were quote online this is fine. 

Hope this helps. 

On the basis I did the account opening over the phone (it is a switch) I do not know what your rep put in re paperless or otherwise in terms of communication. I have still not received the email and am not happy with the answers or help I am getting. Please cancel my application immediately. If this is how new customers are treated I really fear for the service I would get as a paying customer.

So again - please cancel my application immediately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

On the basis I did the account opening over the phone (it is a switch) I do not know what your rep put in re paperless or otherwise in terms of communication. I have still not received the email and am not happy with the answers or help I am getting. Please cancel my application immediately. If this is how new customers are treated I really fear for the service I would get as a paying customer.

So again - please cancel my application immediately.

Hi @ColinG

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you.

Unfortunately no one on the forum, including the ovo moderators like @Emmanuelle_OVO can access customer accounts.

If you want to cancel, then give OVO a call

0330-303-5063

You have 14 days from your contract start date to cancel.

Have you tried calling OVO first and asking them for an update on your switch, double check your details and resend any emails? Worth a try. 

Hello, I tried to open an account with OVO Energy last week (7 days ago) , and it told me to wait for an email within the next week, I haven’t received any email yet….

I entered my details, set a monthly price of £85 per month and entered bank details,  I then went onto a screen where I told me I would receive an email asking me for a meter reading and they will get back to me with a bill, I want this over and done with ASAP 

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This question is better suited to the Support Team. Please ask them via https://ovoenergy.com/help 

Userlevel 7

Hey @ALANRODGER12,

Probably also worth a check in your junk inbox. The Support Team will be able to let you know if there has been any issue with the switch.