Question

How do I contact OVO Customer Services if I need some help?

Show first post

232 replies

I can talk to someone by pressing #?

Why is it better to stay with the active supplier? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yes you can. It’ll get you past the account check and into the main menu. It’s pretty easy from there.

Right now, there’s really no incentive to switch supplier tbh as there’s no competition. You’re best off staying put because you won’t get better deals elsewhere and probably not much better customer service either.

Thanks for the info on speaking to someone. 

Would be easier if the voice message said about speaking to someone by pressing the # key.

I’m not impressed with customer service so far - errors on the webpage, errors on the call, email contact (listed on this very thread just a few months ago) now doesn’t work, one can’t email the company to send pics etc. 

Pretty poor so far. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can upload files and pictures via live chat. It’s actually faster than via email.

What errors are there on webpages? I can flag those to be fixed quite easily if you can tell me where to look.

As for the voice messages… I’ll flag that now.

Thanks for flagging the voice messages.

Pros and cons with live chat. Ones I’ve used don’t allow for a record of the chat, or picking up again with the same person (who would then have history of the case).
I personally like the email chain for this very reason of keeping a track of where we are.

I hope the live chat isn’t Whatsapp too, as I wouldn’t want personal info to go through a third party. 

The errors on the webpage relate to not accepting the account number from the ovo letter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You don’t have to use WhatsApp, that’s just one of the two systems. There’s a dedicated one at https://help.ovoenergy.com that appears in the bottom right corner when it’s active and runs on an internal system. You can see the history there as long as you’re in the same browser and don’t wipe cookies out.

The internal system keeps track of everything said on it.

That’s good to know that there is another system to WhatsApp.

The internal system keeps a track, but that’s the issue - I wouldn’t have a track of what was written, but on email I would . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can just copy/paste it out.

However, there’s another unique trick to OVO that I promise you won’t get elsewhere.

You’re onto a good idea here, feel free to make it official via https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ideas 

Sounds a little odd to copy and paste the conversation out, to put... somewhere…? When you guys would have a copy of the full chat.

An email however would mean we both had a copy of the full chat.

Which unique trick is that? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can suggest ideas to OVO via this forum using the link I posted. It’ll always get an official reply and if OVO likes it, could be implemented.

I don’t have access to internal stuff as I’m just a volunteer who helps out on the forum

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Steve Herridge 

You can send OVO private messages via their Twitter and Facebook pages.

You just need to include your name, address, account number and date of birth for security purposes.

The OVO staff their can access your account 

You get a permanent audit trail of any conversion including date and time stamped record of anything sent from a named OVO employee.

You can attach images if needed.

Replies are not instant but have always been much better than emails even before emailing ceased with OVO. 

Why do I have to have a Twitter or Facebook account in order to send messages?

Why are you using a third party for messaging?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Why do I have to have a Twitter or Facebook account in order to send messages?

Why are you using a third party for messaging?

You don't have to use ovo or twitter. Use one of the other methods if you want to.

It was just an alternative suggestion. 

I don't work for ovo. I regularly use Facebook and twitter for contacting companies and often find it the best way. I see i have contacted over 20 companies via twitter over the years. It is very common. Nothing unusual at all in ovo using it. Lots of energy companies do the same Octopus, Eon, EDF etc. Seems reasonable OVO should offer it along with other methods. 

Just because something is common doesn’t make it right.

I am paying over £100 per month, so I would expect OVO to have there very own private live chat and a phone number where you can talk to someone.

Why on earth would someone trust there account details to a third party like Twitter, Facebook etc. Those companies have no business knowing anyones OVO account details, whether it be common practise or not.

Having a ‘volunteer’ on these forums tell me the secret # key to actually talk to someone is really odd. 
OVO need to make it much more clear and obvious on how to phone through to a real live person. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Steve Herridge there is the webchat and phone contact numbers which were given earlier in this thread. What others are attempting to help with is other forms of communication via PM (private message).

This is an open forum for discussion and help where no one has access to your account. I’m not sure why you’re so upset with other members (not OVO employees) trying to help

I’m not upset.
I’m trying to make things easier for customers to get in touch with OVO and not to rely on forum volunteers.

As covered:

The email address listed in this chat is now not in operation.

The telephone number given on the OVO website will not go through to a person.
A volunteer on this forum said to press # to get through to a person. This info is not mentioned on the recorded phone message or anywhere else that I can see.

Does the webchat use a real person and not a bot/ai? 

OVO make things exceedingly difficult to get in touch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just because something is common doesn’t make it right.

I am paying over £100 per month, so I would expect OVO to have there very own private live chat and a phone number where you can talk to someone.

Why on earth would someone trust there account details to a third party like Twitter, Facebook etc. Those companies have no business knowing anyones OVO account details, whether it be common practise or not.

Having a ‘volunteer’ on these forums tell me the secret # key to actually talk to someone is really odd. 
OVO need to make it much more clear and obvious on how to phone through to a real live person. 

It is a fair comment, although not all accurate. 

Twitter and Facebook can't read the private messages to OVO.

Just in the same way WhatsApp which OVO use can't read your messages.

Or this forum software provider which can't read any private messages here.

OVO make it very clear about phoning. 

You don't need to use this forum or any of our suggestions as OVO customers or any of the various ways OVO offer to contact them. You don't have to post on this forum. 

Simply phone OVO and ignore the volunteers here if you are more comfortable. 

https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

I appreciate any help on here for sure, so don’t take anything the wrong way.

Just don’t put all your faith in a social media company. My first search came up with these:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53510574

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5275067/Twitter-denies-claims-reading-private-messages.html

Thanks for the link.

I’m gonna phone tel:03303035063 tomorrow and report back exactly what is said, just so you’re in the know.

Thanks again

Just a word of warning to any OVO customers tempted to bypass the phone queue in favour of the ‘chat’ option.  

You’ll notice that whatever you ask they’ll take an age to reply, so long in fact that you’ll find yourself typing ‘are you still there’ and ‘Hello’ on a few occasions, the reason ?….they’re ‘chatting’ to other customers at the same time.  So you’re no better off than you would be waiting in the phone ‘queue’.

You have been warned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, this is VERY common and totally normal with just about any Live Chat tool. The whole point is to be able to serve several customers at once. It really does speed up service times at the end of the day!

I take it that you’re affiliated to OVO judging by the number of responses I’ve seen on here with your name ?

I realise it’s common practice now but does that make it any more justifiable ?

It certainly speeds things up for OVO having one person looking after possibly three but being on the receiving end of the chat with an agent taking up to ten minutes at a time to deal with each line of dialogue doesn’t exactly speed things up for the customer, I entered the ‘chat’ with a simple enquiry which could have been dealt with verbally in 10 minutes, the ‘chat’ took over half an hour.  

Frustrating…yes….inefficient…yes…will I choose to use chat again.  No.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My only affiliation with OVO is that I’m a customer, just like you. Nothing more, nothing less.

The fact I have over 6k posts on here is purely because I spend absolutely tons of time helping out on this forum. I even have twice as many posts as the Community Manager does, and he’s an OVO employee (who has been here since 2017!) while I am not.

Commendable…but I have part time job, undertake voluntary work in animal welfare and have my own dog to take care of, therefore have neither the time or inclination to give my time, unpaid, to a profit making organisation, nor have I time to spend half my afternoon on long winded ‘chats’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I have a lot of volunteer roles myself, and I really do mean a LOT.

Either way, I’ve provided you with an answer to your question. If you don’t want to use Live Chat, you don’t have to.

Userlevel 1

@PRERAPH My recent experience with OVO chat was exactly the same as yours. I frequently use Amazon chat and the agent responses are immediate!