Solved

Cancelling smart export guarantee (SEG) contract - what's the best way?

• 27 September 2022
  • 14 replies

Hi

I'm just wanting to cancel my SEG contract but haven't had any luck getting through to the right people at Ovo. I sent an email asking to cancel on 1st September and have sent follow up emails with no reply. I called last week and was told someone would call me back that week but no one did. I've moved from Ovo to Octopus and want to join Octopus Agile for my export of electricity which pays much more than Ovo do 🐙 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 27 September 2022, 16:44

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Hey @Natshew,

Sorry you’ve been having issues.

You can email our Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) Team on seg@ovoenergy.com.

Or you can simply sign up with the provider you wish to be with and they’ll notify us about the change.

You can end a contract at any time by providing 28 days notice. But if you are in the first 12 months you will have to pay a £15 exit fee, unless you are within your cool off period. 

You will be asked to submit a final meter reading at the end of the 28 days and your final SEG payment will be made at the end of the following month.

There is more information about this in the terms and conditions that can be found on our webpage

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Hi, I have had exactly the same issue. I wish to cancel my contract. I emailed the SEG team on 2nd August. I phoned subsequently as I had had no reply. I was reassured that they had received my request and that it would be dealt within the  28 day notice period. I have had no contact from them since.

Userlevel 1

To update. I phoned the SEG team. I was informed that response time is 4-6 weeks and that the response to my phonecall telling them I emailed them 28 days ago giving notice would be in a further 4-6 weeks. This is clearly breach of contract if a customer gives notice of ending a contract and cannot end it at the end of that timescale. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @SarahH 

I’ve taken the below information from the terms and conditions on the website;

‘You can end this contract at any time by providing 28 days’ notice but you will have to pay a £15 exit fee if it is within the first 12 months of your contract start date. (Although you don't have to pay this exit fee if you cancel in your cooling off period).

We will ask you to submit a final meter reading to us at the end of the 28 days and your final SEG payment will be made at the end of the following month. We will only be liable for SEG Export Payments up until the date on which you switch to another SEG Licensee.’

I’m going to check in with the team on this too just to be sure for you. I’ll pop back on this thread when I hear back from them.

Userlevel 1

Thank you Abby. I gave 28 days notice and have been unable to leave due to lack of response.

Userlevel 6

Hey @SarahH 

I’m still awaiting clarity from the team at the moment, but I do believe that if you’re looking to switch the contract to another provider, you can just sign up to them and this should also close down your OVO contract from when the new provider takes over. 

I’ll hopefully have more clarity today, and I’ll come back on here to let you know.

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much Abby, that's great to hear. I should have done that weeks ago! There's a lot less information about switching SEG than there is switching energy providers. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @SarahH 

No problem at all.🙂

I’ve just spoken with the team there who’ve confirmed that all you’ll need to do is sign up with your new desired provider, then let our SEG team know the date you started with the new provider and the reading for that date to ensure they're not underpaid. They’ll closed the account based on these.

Userlevel 1

Hey @SarahH 

No problem at all.🙂

I’ve just spoken with the team there who’ve confirmed that all you’ll need to do is sign up with your new desired provider, then let our SEG team know the date you started with the new provider and the reading for that date to ensure they're not underpaid. They’ll closed the account based on these.

Excellent. That's what I will do then. Thank you.  As a point to pass forward, please could this information be added to the OVO webpages about SEG. It would be useful for both people opting into and out of OVO SEG. 

Userlevel 1

Is it easy to get out of ovo seg agreement 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Pario , if you’re looking to switch your SEG provider as far as I’m aware, you can apply to your chosen provider and they will notify your current provider. A bit like an energy switch. 
Your energy supply doesn’t need to be with the same company as SEG

Userlevel 1

Hi 

Thanks for getting back to me what it is 

That in the last 12 months I have sent back to the grid on top of my consumption 2935 kW

Getting only 0.4p from ovo and paying 0.32p kW

And my usage with over for the whole year is 3464 kW as of this week having done the math iam thinking of getting battery storage to reduce my fuel costs what do you think? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We added battery storage to our system 2 years ago which has helped to lower our usage. If you do the maths on getting the price of the batteries back it does take longer than solar PV but as prices continue to rise (in general) we thought it was worth it. 
Some companies give better rates if you have both import and export so you will need to double check any offers. 

Userlevel 1

Hi that's good advice thank you for all this I will digest and get  it sorted thanks again 

Kind regards Arthur