Solved

My smart meter and Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) - what is a vend code and pin code?

My smart meter requires a pin code. What is it????
What is VEND code????
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 17 July 2017, 19:29

What is VEND code????

Well, @Pugin25 you've only gone and asked the first VEND code related question on the OVO Forum - nice work! I've tweaked the title a bit so other VEND queries can be solved using the answers in topic.

I recon you're actually referring to your In Home Display (IHD). On this device you can access a page which asks for a VEND code, and another which asks for a PIN code. For Pay monthly customers, both are irrelevant. Just leave the IHD a minute or so and it will refer back to the default screen.

Just as an FYI, a VEND code allows a Pay as you go customer to manually add their credit if a top up fails to go on to the meter remotely. This an be entered onto the IHD or the meter itself. As for a PIN number, this is used by an engineer to un-link the IHD from the meters.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
What is VEND code????

Well, @Pugin25 you've only gone and asked the first VEND code related question on the OVO Forum - nice work! I've tweaked the title a bit so other VEND queries can be solved using the answers in topic.

I recon you're actually referring to your In Home Display (IHD). On this device you can access a page which asks for a VEND code, and another which asks for a PIN code. For Pay monthly customers, both are irrelevant. Just leave the IHD a minute or so and it will refer back to the default screen.

Just as an FYI, a VEND code allows a Pay as you go customer to manually add their credit if a top up fails to go on to the meter remotely. This an be entered onto the IHD or the meter itself. As for a PIN number, this is used by an engineer to un-link the IHD from the meters.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Updated on 12/07/2019
So what about the PIN number I require??
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
So what about the PIN number I require??

Well @Pugin25 that PIN number is only used by an engineer to un-link the IHD from the meters. You won't need to enter a PIN number - leaving the IHD for a minute or so will get you off that screen and back to the default screen.

Tim
@Tim_OVO I also need a PIN. We had a smart gas meter installed but the engineer has not linked it to our IHD. The electric meter had been fitted previously and was already linked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Tim_OVO I also need a PIN. We had a smart gas meter installed but the engineer has not linked it to our IHD. The electric meter had been fitted previously and was already linked.

Hi @matthewwoods

No need for a PIN number. This tells me the IHD is already linked up, at least with one of your meters. To be sure, I'd suggest you ring our Care team. Whilst you're on the phone, they can link up your IHD with your gas meter, or be able to confirm it's already linked: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers#contactnumbers.

Tim
I was informed a vend code is the 20 digit number on your receipt once you top up on pay as you go customer ... so keep hold of every reciept until you check your top up has been accepted
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I was informed a vend code is the 20 digit number on your receipt once you top up on pay as you go customer ... so keep hold of every reciept until you check your top up has been accepted

That’s right. If the top up hasn’t automatically gone on then you’ll need the vend code to manually add the credit to your meters. For more information, check out https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payg/smart-payg/how-do-i-add-credit-manually-on-a-smart-meter.html.

Lucy
So here begs the question Why do OVO make absolutely no reference to the Vend code in their on line web site smart meter tutorials. Is there something sinister about it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Uggss

The vend code that Lucy mentions is on the top up receipt of prepayment customers. This won't be something a pay monthly customer would need.

Any mention of pins on the In Home Display is for the engineer, when linking it up to your smart meters. Just leave it for a few minutes and it will reset to the homepage. 😎
Begs the same question. Humans are by nature inquisitive and if they encounter something in their daily lives they want to know what it's for. Wouldn't it be much easier for OVO to include that piece of information on their web page?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Good point @Uggss! I'll pass this on 🙂