Solved

Chameleon IHD In Home Display (IHD) lost connection with smart meters - any tips?

• 17 November 2017
  • 13 replies

Hi, 5 days ago my IHD began showing lost connection. It had been working perfectly since install in September.

I’ve read on this forum that it could be to do with no mobile reception but we have that and can tell by the WLAN red light flashing frequently on the elec meter. (Plus it worked perfectly before).

Does the IHD need repairing with the smart meter?

Thanks
Will
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 22 November 2017, 22:04

The WLAN light is to do with the meter connecting to the mobile network and sending back data.

The HAN lights are to do with the meters (Gas and Electricity) talking to each other and also communicating with the IHD.

Which lights are solid and which are flashing?

Matthew

**Updated 16/07/2019**
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The WLAN light is to do with the meter connecting to the mobile network and sending back data.

The HAN lights are to do with the meters (Gas and Electricity) talking to each other and also communicating with the IHD.

Which lights are solid and which are flashing?

Matthew

**Updated 16/07/2019**
my IHD only works if it is directly behind my outdoor meters. if i try to move it any distance within the house it says connection lost. there is the outside wall between the meter and the display but no other walls.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
my IHD only works if it is directly behind my outdoor meters. if i try to move it any distance within the house it says connection lost. there is the outside wall between the meter and the display but no other walls.
Hey Magic9,
I’ve moved your topic onto this thread as I think it may be relevant.

You’ll need to keep your In Home Display (IHD) as close to the elec meter as possible for it to be able to display the correct information.

Lucy
My Smart meter (Chameleon) has been working fine for the last year, but is now showing 'Connection lost' and only the bottom of the signal 'wedge' is lit, I've tried switching it on/off, it is not far from the meter anyway (almost directly above it), and even if I move it into the garage right next to the meter then it doesn't show any stronger signal. On the Meter itself (liberty 100) the WAN light does 5 flashes every few seconds (which I think means it has good signal to the cell network?) I don't know if it is pure coincidence, but it is exactly 1 year (to the day) since the smart meters were installed, it hasn't previously had a problem connecting. Is there any means to reset/reconnect it somehow?

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Pauly - I've moved your post to this thread where you should be able to find the info you need.
Userlevel 3
Since I have just posted on how I fixed my IHD, here is a link to my post:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ihd-in-home-displays-64/fixed-my-chameleon-in-home-display-5636

Tony
Thanks for this which could have been really useful if my IHD had an on/off button! Smart meters for gas and electricity were installed last week. Elec works fine on the IHD but not gas. I have tried to ring OVO with no success. My Chameleon is ref. IHD3-CAD/CA30201. Any advice?
My Smart meter wan light is flashing but the IHD monitor has lost connection. Try switching it off and on but still not working. Help please
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks for this which could have been really useful if my IHD had an on/off button! Smart meters for gas and electricity were installed last week. Elec works fine on the IHD but not gas. I have tried to ring OVO with no success.

Hiya - no off button: just unplug it and make sure there's no batteries inside @svenforkbeard

@Pong more info on what to do if one of your smart meters aren't showing up on the IHD here!
You've told me the gas meter is not communicating with OVO and to leave it for 2 months (!) to see if it works. If it doesn't you're going to fit a relay. So I'm left with a fancy gas meter buried in the garden making it almost impossible to read (the old one could be read from above). Smart energy? I think not.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @svenforkbeard - the usual time frame for the meters to "settle down" after being fitted is 3 months. We wouldn't intervene before this time frame in case signal is still up and down and not settled.
The signal from the gas meter is nil, not up and down, and you told me it is three months, not two, before I have any idea how much gas I am using.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @svenforkbeard - I can confirm the time frame is 3 months. It's possible for the meter to get into communication with us within this period. If we've still got no comms after 3 months, we could safely assume it sin't going to happen and we can then look into a fix.

Thanks