Should the aim be to reach net zero, sub net zero or zero carbon emissions?

• 14 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are various discussions about reducing carbon emissions and many ( or most?) refer to net zero .. but .. it that the best target? 
We already see the effect of global warming on climate and depending on your situation, that can already have an effect on life. 
More often than not, most refer to a Net Zero target which in effect ‘levels’ the rise but does little to reduce warming. This then moves to ‘Sub Net Zero’ so that some reduction is expected but probably not for quite a number of years. 
And finally, Zero emissions meaning that nature can really begin to work its magic and repair the planet. 

10 replies

Userlevel 7

I wholeheartedly agree with you @BPLightlog, you’d hope that Net Zero was the first milestone with a view to working towards Zero emissions. 

The reason ‘Net Zero’ might be referred to more frequently is because it seems a more attainable goal, for now. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Absolutely…hopefully we’ll all work towards something better than simply running up a down escalator. An ecologically expensive down escalator.

Were you thinking of anything specific? So much to choose from, unfortunately.  Our individual actions all do help, of course. And it’s so encouraging to see energy firms like OVO and others (especially the other well-known one beginning with “O”) championing greener and ever more flexible and responsive approaches. Difficult given our particular energy infrastructure and policies.

Perhaps group pressures on public-facing corporate/commercial entities like supermarkets and banking/pension fund managers can continue to be effective too; and politically (in the UK, or, specifically, in England I guess) Net Zero (or better) arguments often seem quite clearly aligned when comparing current (Parliamentary) Parties? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It was more the thought of perhaps almost reaching Net Zero and I can imagine a general expression of ‘phew’ where old habits return rather than everyone pushing on from there towards further reductions. 
Whilst I’m not a fan of a big stick to cajole general habits, there does appear to be evidence of cost being a significant factor in choices. This needs some caution of course as some will need additional help but given the material world be live in, I expect more adjustment will be made when cost is more of a factor. 
In general, I was more interested in people’s thoughts on a goal and how energy, food consumption and other factors might affect their lives. 
I do think that those with the capability to reduce emissions by moving consumption out of peak demand should be encouraged to do that

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yes, I’m with you on that. And if it means financial encouragement, so be it…it’s a big incentive for me (and I’m moderately green) so how much more so for those of us who don’t consider themselves “green”.

The financial costs for all of us on the Planet in carrying on as we largely are amount to trillions as I understand the forecasts, so a bit of cash encouragement expended now in easing our dirtiest consumption is well worthwhile.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I agree with @BPLightlog . Cost is definitely a factor. Whilst electricity is over 4 times the cost of gas it doesn't make economic sense to make the switch. With the cost of installation and the disruption whilst pipework and radiators are changed are a one-off, an ongoing cost can swing the balance.
Maybe the green levy on electricity should be replaced with a "black" tax CO2 production?

I sometimes wonder if legislation to protect the consumer can hinder implementation.

I have just watched the skill builder videos suggested by @juliamc. The suggestion from Roger was to use a fan heater on the odd occasion of unusually cold outdoor temperatures which was countered because the regulations require the system installed to be capable of heating the dwelling without additional support. So a larger system is installed to meet an increasingly rare event, where the owner might be willing to put on a jumper.

I believe in Europe and America you can fit plug-in "Balcony Solar". These small PV systems (below 1000W) are truly plug in, offsetting base load and sometimes exporting. You get no payment for the export. This doesn't seem to be an option in the UK. Like fitting loft insulation a decent DIYer could fit the panels on walls or ground mounted frames and reduce much of their daytime load and get a warm and cosy feeling when they are exporting to the grid. Because this is offsetting the much higher daily electricity rates the payback is much shorter. And you can pack them up and take them with you if you move house

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Funnily enough, I’m planning this year to instal a couple of small 300 Watt panels on my house wall, small because there’s not much gap between the bathroom window and the external soil pipe.  And hanging them vertically brings its own challenges…

So what you say about the American “balcony Solar” systems is very interesting indeed. I have often wondered why we don’t have any such modular unit marketed here in the UK. Even without the panels, a small battery, charger and inverter would help shift, say, 200 to 400 Wh away from the peak hour period. But add a few panels and you’d really be in business…

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Of course @waltyboy , anything which is attached to the grid needs approval but you could use something with its own output feed. 
I have an off-grid system with a small panel array and a small wind turbine which gives me an extra capture system with its own power sockets giving me a separate feed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Sounds an interesting auxiliary setup you've got there, with PV and wind hopefully complementing each other nicely. Do you find that a small turbine (even in windy Cumbria!) contributes a useful amount? Say, averaging 2 kWh or more daily over the winter months? I’m guessing we’re talking here about a turbine under about 0.5 kW for a smallish garden or outbuilding? 

Yes indeed, UK rules on grid connection would need addressing, and I guess that simply approving inverters as zero export wouldn’t quite cut it;  perhaps if one or two household circuits could easily be isolated during peak hours (living room and combi, say) then a small additional off grid system could work. Complicated, though, to install, it would need automated rapid transfer switches that wouldn’t leave a house plunged into darkness or freezing conditions! But could be handy in a (short!) power cut when most households don’t have PV panels, or if they have they often don’t have automatic battery backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sounds an interesting auxiliary setup you've got there, with PV and wind hopefully complementing each other nicely. Do you find that a small turbine (even in windy Cumbria!) contributes a useful amount? Say, averaging 2 kWh or more daily over the winter months? I’m guessing we’re talking here about a turbine under about 0.5 kW for a smallish garden or outbuilding? 

Yes a very small unit but it was just a test really and I don’t get much at all from it. Probably only 10% of the solar. 

Yes indeed, UK rules on grid connection would need addressing, and I guess that simply approving inverters as zero export wouldn’t quite cut it;  perhaps if one or two household circuits could easily be isolated during peak hours (living room and combi, say) then a small additional off grid system could work. Complicated, though, to install, it would need automated rapid transfer switches that wouldn’t leave a house plunged into darkness or freezing conditions! But could be handy in a (short!) power cut when most households don’t have PV panels, or if they have they often don’t have automatic battery backup.

Even with the batteries used as an auxiliary supply on power outages, they have to use an islanding technique to prevent any export and prevent any problems for those working on the network. Most of the systems I’ve come across use separate sockets for this option. 
The off-grid system I’ve put in is small enough to be portable and I can therefore use it wherever I need

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thank you @BPLightlog, very interesting stuff indeed.