Radiant / Infrared heating

• 23 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Many people are looking at better (more efficient) heating for themselves and their homes and it would be interesting to hear if anyone has had any success using radiant or infrared heating panels or systems. 
I had a couple of external ‘pod’ units that I used outside on cold evenings but have not used those recently. I believe that these units are meant to be better at heating people rather than space but as some I’ve seen are used as underfloor systems, that seems at odds. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

No experience of them but I looked a buying a flat with ‘Electric Ceiling Heating’.

It only scored ‘Very poor’ on the EPC so I decided not to follow that up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No experience of them but I looked a buying a flat with ‘Electric Ceiling Heating’.

It only scored ‘Very poor’ on the EPC so I decided not to follow that up.

I had expected them to be not that efficient but from a few comments elsewhere about use as underfloor heating and typical power use like a freezer I wondered if things had improved 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve got regular underfloor heating myself. Here’s the lowdown.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s a much more informative EPC than anything I’ve seen before. 😮

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can’t provide the certificate number, but the house rules do permit me to share the tool with you. Check out https://www.gov.uk/find-energy-certificate

For non-domestic properties, there’s an even MORE detailed report too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We borrowed an IR panel heater last week, when our heating was being reconfigured. I was impressed with how effective it was and could see how it would work in a room such as a small office, if you don't want to heat the whole house.

But, there's no way I'd consider them to heat an entire house. They're too expensive to run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My flat is also about 49 Square Metres as well, but even that is kinda pushing it for infrared heaters. My non-infrared underfloor heating works amazingly well though, especially with the Secure programmer (yes, Secure really do make more than just smart meters!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Electric wallpaper 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64402524

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Electric wallpaper 

If the price of electricity came down to meet the price of gas then why not ?! I’ll stick with my heat pump though.