Solved

OVO Power Move, can you tell me more?

• 17 October 2022
  • 65 replies

Show first post

65 replies

Userlevel 7

@f0rtune happy to share the latest as and when I get it. 

As for checking the for consumption data, the best bet is to make sure we have daily readings: https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Userlevel 1

It's that time of night (7pm) to put on the Kettle, Washing machine, Dishwasher etc.

Merry Christmas everyone ❤️

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi there,

Now that Shift and Save appears to be over, I’ve seen something else called Power Move!!!   What’s that all about???

Rgds,

Steve

😂😂😂 Apparently it’s dance moves !! 😂😂

Obviously totally different to OVO description!! 
Think our “power move” with OVO finished at end March 23 ……🤣

Some of us gained a little, better something than nothing !! 😅 

We’re launching Power Move – helping our customers reduce demand on the energy grid and save up to £100 each this winter

06 October 2022 | OVO

As you’ve probably seen in the news, the energy sector is at a crucial point, and we need a resilient grid to get us through this winter. So, to help play our part for both our customers and the wider National Grid effort, we’re launching Power Move – an innovative new trial that will help our customers to cut usage during peak times and save money on their energy bills. 

How does it work?

We have analysed customer data to determine that between 4pm - 7pm is when demand on the energy grid is highest. (Did you know that the average household uses 19% of their daily total usage during these hours?) At these times of peak demand, there’s less renewable energy to go round, and so dirtier carbon-heavy power fills the gap. 

Running from 1st November 2022 - 31st March 2023, the trial rewards our customers for moving non-essential energy use to times when the grid is greener and less congested. We’re looking for participants to cut their average consumption during the peak hours to less than 12.5%. 

For the average household, that could be the equivalent of moving three loads of washing per week from peak time to a greener time of day. £20 will be rewarded for each month that this is achieved on average, so there’s the potential to pocket £100 over the course of the trial. 

I think the only way to save a £100 each over winter was to move abroad for the winter 😂😂

I did amd itstill didn't work !

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Power Move was the other trial that ran at the same time as Shift & Save. I’ve got access to both groups, so I’m well positioned to answer questions you guys have.

The basic idea was to shift usage away from the peak 4pm to 7pm slot. Do that across an entire month and you got a reward. Unlike Shift & Save however, you had to do it every day , get an average target across the month and the reward was a fixed value each month.

Userlevel 3
Badge

So why was I only offered Shift & Save by OVO, where I could have earned more and reduced my peak power use by more??

Rgds,

Steve

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You could only be on one of the two at once. Power Move launched first but had a VERY small limit as to numbers (iirc just a few hundred or so). Shift & Safe had space for a couple of thousand members.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Do you think they will continue one or both schemes??   There’s still a peak of demand in the early evening, and gas is still having to be used to cover it!!!

Rgds,

Steve

So why was I only offered Shift & Save by OVO, where I could have earned more and reduced my peak power use by more??

Rgds,

Steve

Same here!! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Do you think they will continue one or both schemes??   There’s still a peak of demand in the early evening, and gas is still having to be used to cover it!!!

Rgds,

Steve

I think we might start to see different types of tariff, octopus have one where the rate differs during the day, similar to the old Economy 7, but more variations at night, morning and evening. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think Shift & Save only has a future if the National Grid continues with DFS because the two are highly integrated with each other.

Power Move however… That’s independent of DFS and I wouldn’t be surprised if OVO starts to offer it more widely.

Userlevel 7

Power Move will be available to choose for anyone with a smart meter. More details coming soon. AND you’ll have access to the Power Move group when it’s been updated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice!

In that case, I’d probably enable Power Move on my account even if I kept failing it. :)