Skip to main content
Question

no electricity

Wondering if anyone can help because OVO support are about as useful as a chocolate teaspoon and completely unavailable/unhelpful

I have no electricity my smart meter says we have used up all emergency credit and we are now cut off. However we are not a prepayment account never have been but for some reason it's flipped us to it. OvO support said sorry your not prepayment I don't know what the issue is but also we are closing now, call back Monday. I'm without power for Saturday night and all of Monday. (My account is in credit by £320.)

This happened to us last year about 5 times and spent countless hours on the phone to support who have no clue how to fix it and being hung up on because they couldn't fix it. Don't know what they did in the end but it took about a month and 3 engineers coming in to add even more emergency credit onto the meter including replacing the meter twice.

Can anyone help us get power over the weekend please? Northern powergrid wasn't interested too and God knows how we plan to feed the baby.

Hi @Robbiek500 ,

I have flagged this to the Forum Moderators for advice. Please wait until they return on Monday morning. There’s unfortunately nothing I can do until then.

Can anyone help us get power over the weekend please? 

Please try OVO’s support team on social media. They should be there today, e.g. at https://x.com/OVOEnergy. Post a brief description of the problem (e.g. Emergency: we are off supply with a small infant, but the DNO can’t help), then follow up with a DM giving your name, address, date of birth, address and postcode and OVO account number. They have always sparked for me.

Hey @Robbiek500

I’m really sorry to hear this has happened. As @Firedog has pointed out, our Support Team is available through social media at the weekends, or we have team members who work our emergencies on 0330 175 9669.

Have you managed to speak with anyone yet to restore your supply? If you could update us, we can work on supporting you where we can! 

… we have team members who work our emergencies on 0330 175 9669.

Could you please expand on this, @Chris_OVO? We have been saying for years that sadly OVO has no support for off-supply emergencies unless you happen to be on a pre-payment meter, which isn’t the case here. Is that a general emergency phone number we can pass on?

… OVO support are about as useful as a chocolate teaspoon and completely unavailable/unhelpful

@Robbiek500  I hope you read OVO’s article about dealing with emergencies. With an infant in the household, you are eligible to be registered for priority services. I’m not saying that being on the register would have made any difference in your case, but it might have done. It does mean, though, that any call to support should be handled by an agent trained to help OVO’s more vulnerable customers, especially when they’re in a bad situation.

Thank you it has been resolved. Was off supply for 24 hours but we eventually got through to support by calling boost instead who where more than happy to assist. They cleared the emergency credit and placed another £5 on till I could speak to the OVO team today.

Never been given a reason why this continues to happen sadly and we are on the priority register when this started happening as baby was only weeks old and had no way to heat up bottles. The issue actually affected both gas and electricity supply at the beginning.

Thanks for the help.

@Firedog  the number 0330 175 9669 doesn't actually work on weekends. Tried it just kept telling us they are unavailable and the opening times are monday-friday

Hey @Robbiek500,

Glad to hear that you managed to get back on supply. Apologies for the late response as I only got the notifications this morning from the volunteers. 

It’s a strange one as something must be causing your meter to “change modes”. I know you mentioned that the meter has been replaced a couple of times so it can’t be a hardware issue. The Care Team should be able to investigate this and find the cause. Did they advise they’d raised a complaint for you as you were left off-supply?? 

@Firedog for any PAYG customers the number I provided can be used for emergencies or any of the live chat/Whatsapp/Social Media channels can also be used.

For monthly customers we don’t tend to see many emergencies that would leave them off supply unless it’s something like a meter failure. In that case again Whatsapp (0330 175 9695) or Social Media (see link below) can arrange emergency appointments for an engineer to attend within 4 hours. 

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy/

https://x.com/ovoenergy?lang=en

https://www.instagram.com/ovoenergy/?hl=en

@Robbiek500 The number should work at the weekend. I’ll look into this please bear with me! 

Thank you. I just had my gas go off supply and do the same. Spoke to ovo and they are clueless to the reason. Was put on emergency credit because they have two systems and one system says I'm on prepayment for electric and credit for gas and the other system says I'm credit for electric and prepayment for gas and the operator was beyond confused. 

Hey @Robbiek500

It sounds like something is commanding priority and altering any changes the care staff are making. I seen this when I worked in tech before that sometimes you’d be presented with an issue that you’d resolve and it would either revert immediately or gradually over time. It would normally take a little bit of digging to find the root cause so I imagine that’s what care are looking into for you just now. I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you. 

I’ve been asking about the call lines at the weekend so once I have an update i’ll come back to you.