Solved

Nonsensical target for Power Move Plus

Show first post

120 replies

Sorry @superted_76 but you have no idea

Okay 👌 

Yep, my target is 0.1 kwh. I was also out. all that was on was the small fridge freezer and the wifi router. If I get one more email telling me how to use less buy not using big appliances in that time I’ll scream. But it’s about moving power which is why my target is low. If it was a usage target rather than a move target I’d hit it every time

Yep, my target is 0.1 kwh. I was also out. all that was on was the small fridge freezer and the wifi router. If I get one more email telling me how to use less buy not using big appliances in that time I’ll scream. But it’s about moving power which is why my target is low. If it was a usage target rather than a move target I’d hit it every time

I’d comment but according to @BPLightlog im clueless so I’ll refrain 😂😂. 🐑 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Check the facts 

Many who don’t get much back from these events are already low users and as their targets are based on their own usage, there is little to reduce 

Check the facts 

Many who don’t get much back from these events are already low users and as their targets are based on their own usage, there is little to reduce 

That maybe so but does not detract from what I said in the first instance. And to say I have no idea is not to disagree with what I said. Like a politician it’s a diversion from the truth and the actual fact that in the UK we have ample power and ample means to spread it across the nation at low prices but choose not to do so. I do check facts but not the ones I’m led to believe. I like to think freely and gather information from a wide range of sources to make proper informed decisions. I do have an idea, just not your idea 🙏👍

Is Power Move Plus a big con. My first 6 targets were 0.4, 0.5, 0.4, 0.4, 0.3 and 0.3 KwH. For every KwH I save I will earn £3. I am lucky to save 0.07KwH so can only save coppers at best! We sit for an hour with just one light on and earn - yes, 21p! How are these targetsw set? They seem rediculously low and designed to earn as little as possible. How to spin this as a generous cost-saving enterprise when it is nothing of the sort. Shame on you, OVO!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You are probably classed as a Low user, for which you’re not really the target of these events.

Those who use more are the ones who’ll end up having more scope to make changes.

If you don’t want to take part, you’re not required to do so.

No shame on Ovo. It is not them who decide to hold a demand reduction event for a very short time.

Personally, I find the financial inducement is not worth it but, if they asked me to do it to protect the environment, prevent a power cut or help people struggling to pay for their energy, then I would be happy to help. 

Userlevel 4

Hi @PatrickOVO  - you sound like a fellow low energy user :) so power move plus is really hard for us to achieve as we use so little already.  My target is 0.1 and I think it may have even have been reduced because I did achieve it twice but now cant achieve it even though I’m doing exactly what I was previously. (I’m not sure but I think I saw that ovo quote the target to 12 decimal place and the actual target is 2 dp).  Being on Ovo’s Powder Move anyway I do keep opting in for power move plus because to me there’s absolutely no reason not to opt in (no penalty etc) and then if I get any pence its a bonus and if I don't well, so be it - I.ll still be on-track for my power move reward

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s also a good thing you’re not in South Africa either. They have constant grid issues out there, for which load shedding is extremely common. You can get totally disconnected during peak hours unless you limit your usage. This is not the case in the UK however.

The difference with things like OVO Power Move compared to what they do, is that you don’t get disconnected if you fail to meet the target. Out there, those who meet the limits get to keep their lights on. Those who fail and/or who don’t have Smart Meters get completely disconnected until the restrictions end for the day.

The alternative to the incentive based method that’s being used in the UK is exactly what South Africa does - those who don’t get their usage down and/or can’t prove it get disconnected. That’s really not a playbook that National Grid ESO wants to get out of the cupboard either...

Userlevel 2

Agreed, Blastoise, low users in power move who have already cut down to a liveable minimum between 4-7pm perhaps should not have been invited to join up with power move plus as it's pointless. I doubt anyone can beat my target of 0.1kWh! Of course, no way will I turn off the consumer unit just to earn 30p so really I should unsubscribe. I live in hope it'll be 7-8pm one day, I'll be raking it in!

An idea would be to rebrand as green saver or similar and invite anyone who regularly uses over maybe 2kW per hour into the scheme to be able to make a significant difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think you’re missing the point a little.

The idea is not to make this a get rich quick scheme at all, but more to prevent blackouts or load shedding. The incentive is just a bonus for helping out with that.

The DFS Scheme in the UK is entirely optional to take part in. The Load Shedding and Energy Limiting thing in South Africa is MANDATORY and you have to take part whether you like it or not.

NGESO is trying to avoid that scenario by doing voluntary schemes like DFS.

I mean I live solo in a fully electric 320 square meter foot studio flat and I still pay out £95 a month but with the powermove each time I’ve hit it and I was awarded just over £3 for the last one! I once got lucky and was on holiday and bagged £15 too😂 

Userlevel 3

Laughable! Just got email for power plus 5 - 6pm today. Target 0.1kwh,  maximum reward £1.........!!! Don't think I'll bother? 

0.1kWh?? Agree, that is simply ridiculous.

I was given a target to reduce my usage by 1Kwh from 0.5 KWh! Last I heard it is still illegal Tom turn your metre back.

What a joke.

Userlevel 5

@Nukecad (2 months ago)

Have to disagree with your tongue in cheek solution of switching off at the main consumer unit to achieve a 30p reward. Do this and the Smart meter hub would have no leccy to send a reading! No win situation all round.

My suggestion would be for everyone to switch everything on during peak hours and break the grid! Might actually force them to get their finger out and actually carry out the necessary upgrades that have been promised for decades.

Userlevel 6

Smart Meters take their own power before it goes through the meter, and well before the Consumer Unit.

So switching off at the CU would have no affect at all on the meter sending readings, it would just have a zero reading to send.

Not that it’s something I’d contemplate doing anyway.

I feel the agenda here is that OVO will reduce their costs, by encouraging clients to cut OVO’s costs during high value times, whilst OVO know very few clients will be able to attain the targets.

It is purely a profit making aim for OVO, they reduce their costs - nothing else. I doubt that there will ever be a count of how many/percentage clients received any real benefits.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@EasyLiving if you’re going to make claims by that, please back them up with compelling evidence. Otherwise, it’s a piece of cake for me to steamroll your claims (and I’m already tempted).