Solved

Nonsensical target for Power Move Plus

Show first post

120 replies

Userlevel 2

I’ve also got the 0.1kwh target. Ridiculous. 

I’ll be looking to increase my peak hour consumption over the coming weeks, as that’s what I’m being incentivised to do. It’s the only way I can land myself a more realistic target in the future. 

Ah, but -

That doesn’t work because the time period for the next trial may be a totally different time of day. so a different target depending on what you normally use during that period.

I think PM+ events are likely to be within peak times. And even if they are not - I have nothing to loose as a low user already. I have all to gain by shifting my cooking, laundry and other high consumption activities into peak times. Madness!

Why they don’t just charge more per unit during peak times is beyond me. And charge less outside of peak times. Would save us all these challenges, power move, power move plus, senseless targets..

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Please don’t shift your high consumption activities to peak times @ima ! 

Userlevel 3

Has anyone been notified of their result of the latest Power Move Plus target? Or do we only get an email if successful? 

Userlevel 2

Please don’t shift your high consumption activities to peak times @ima ! 

Well.. obviously I won’t actually. But the point stands that I’d have everything to gain by doing so, and that means there’s something very wrong with these incentives. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Octopus have their Agile tariff which alters throughout the day, or Cosy which has cheaper and peak rates for heat pump users. OVO ought to get their act together and come up with a Time of Use tariff. 🤦‍♀️ I’m sounding like Transparent !!

Userlevel 2

Octopus have their Agile tariff which alters throughout the day, or Cosy which has cheaper and peak rates for heat pump users. OVO ought to get their act together and come up with a Time of Use tariff. 🤦‍♀️ I’m sounding like Transparent !!

Very interesting re Octopus, I wasn’t aware. Will be having a look, and most likely transfer over if what they offer makes sense for me. Many thanks Julia!

Userlevel 2

I have just joined this Forum group to ask the same question. Target of 0.5kwh right in the middle of the current Power Move window. My position is better than others with 0.1kwh target so I suppose I should be grateful. Reading the replies gave me a lot of laughs so all was not lost😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@ima here’s the Agile prices for tomorrow: they vary all the time and could go up to 100p for a kWh. Not for the faint hearted !!! 

Userlevel 6

Even with such dissapointing targets it's all data for the trial.

The figures collected will show that many (most?) of those willing to take part had too low a usage to make much of a difference, so too low a target, and that many given such a low target didn't think it worth bothering.

Userlevel 4

How did you do @Simon 1402 with your 0.5 target??  Against my 0.1 target and with leaving the house for the whole hour (so my usual curfew of 1 light + tv only were both off) I made a reduction of…..wait for it …. a whole 0.07 kWh (woohoo, National Grid must be so grateful) AND I have been rewarded with 21 whole pence  :) :)   

I have been rewarded with 21 whole pence  :) :)   

I got exactly the same. Honestly, sitting in darkness and cold for an hour reading my Kindle is not worth 21p. I won’t sign up for the next one unless it’s outside the 4-7pm window.

I am an OAP living in a 1 bedroom flat. I am fully on Smart Meters

I signed up to Power Move in September. I was obviously too late to make any difference for that month, but I still started to use my dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer on a timer for 0300 hours in the morning when I used these appliances, about once per week.  I expected to get a reward for this of the £15 advertised. NO!!!  Apparently my efforts were on vain! 

Now. I have just received an email advising me that on Thursday 16th November I earned the great sum of 9p, YES 9p!!! For going below my target of 0.1kwh by going 0.03kwh below this. WHAT???!?!!

For the whole of this month, November to date I HAVE BEEN IN HOSPITAL for.major heart surgery.  I live alone in my flat when I am there, so NO ONE has stayed.there for this month.  Yet I have only achieved a 9p saving!!!

So no reward for the October use of appliances in the early hours, and now only a tiny, tiny, 9p reward when I have been away !!

I have now started a complaint process with OVO, then it will go to Ofgem.,as this "Power Move". No more, no less.  This is a disgraceful way to treat customers by tricking them into cutting power usage, but giving little to no reward.  That "reward" is no doubt going to OVO profits as they collectively over their customer base are reducing their use of expensive power!!

I will await the outcome before switching suppliers and taking this much, much further.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You got rewarded for Power Move Plus, not Power Move - they’re different schemes and that reward sounds correct to me.

Userlevel 3

I managed to use only 0.04 kWh against my 0.2 kWh target so I've been rewarded with 48p 😆. Tbf, I wasn't at home so other than my fridge-freezer and router, nothing else was switched on (I may have left my dishwasher on but not running - doh 🙄). 

48p is 48p and I did contribute to reducing power usage during that peak hour but if I'm at home for the next PMP, I definitely won't be sitting in the dark, without the TV just to get a 48p reward.

Here is the main text from the email that I just received:

Your Power Move Plus target.

Your personal Power Move Plus target for this event is 0.5 kWh.

Avoid using non-essential electricity between 5pm and 6pm on Thursday 16 November and for every kWh you shift below your target, you’ll receive £3 towards your energy bill.

It is impossible for me to achieve even 1 KWh below the target of 0.5 KWh! 

Can any Ovo person, or anyone else for that matter, make any sense of this? 

It was out with only our standard appliances on and we didn’t meet the target. Not sure how to meet the targets if you’re not even in the house and you’ve only got your fridge/freezers working!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi everyone,

Just received the email saying I didn’t reach my target of 0.1kwh on 16th Nov. I’m not surprised, I live on my own and there was little more I could do to reduce power use in that time. Like the idea but not sure I’ll bother again 😒

Userlevel 4

We earned 9p won't be bothering again!

Userlevel 3

🤣 my email informed me that I will be credited with........0.03p for my great effort. My target was 0.1kwh and apparently I managed to reduce usage by 0.01!!!

My Power Move average, so far this month, is 8.72%.

How did you do @Simon 1402 with your 0.5 target??  Against my 0.1 target and with leaving the house for the whole hour (so my usual curfew of 1 light + tv only were both off) I made a reduction of…..wait for it …. a whole 0.07 kWh (woohoo, National Grid must be so grateful) AND I have been rewarded with 21 whole pence  :) :)   

Never even opted in - complete waste of time. My overnight usage is about 0.05 so could theoretically have earned £1. 35. Wow! 

OVO failure

I posted my situation of an OAP, living alone. With Smart Meters of not meeting the Power Move Plus target for October when I only used my dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer on timers for 0300 in the morning for the month of October.  I also posted about my 9p "reward" for going below a 0.1kwh target on 16th October when my flat had not been occupied during November to date as i.am in hospital for major heart surgery!!

They have deleted the post!  Wonder why!

Complaint procedures have been commenced

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Via Hugo rather than OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Lizziekent it looks like you broke the House Rules with that particular comment and it was removed as a result.

What, by stating what has happened and this is all an OVO confidence trick?  Show me anyone who had gained any real advantage from Power Move, let alone me when I have been in hospital for the whole month and they failed to account for the use of appliances out of hours for the month of October.

This Forum should allow for free speech as I have politely done, but obviously OVO want to keep this poor customer service/offers under wraps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Free Speech is allowed here, but there still has to be some rules to prevent things from going too far. Same story for just about every forum out there - regardless of topic.

If you have a problem with that and wish to complain about it, forum@ovoenergy.com is the way to go.

As I said previously, you are confusing Power Move and Power Move Plus. They are not the same:

Power Move: Get £15 if you use less than 13.5% of your daily power during 4pm-7pm on Weekdays based on averages - shutting everything down all day will not usually help much with this

Power Move Plus: Get specific rewards for meeting specific targets on certain days

You probably got rewarded for the latter

But no one has stated what rules were broken,  if any, as no foul language or threats, or anything but the FACTS were mentioned . Yes I stated it is a confidence trick. But why not.  It certainly looks like one for some form of business gain.  I can say that as I was in high level retail sales management  business, and I have seen some bad examples of promotional tactics.

It is for OVO to answer all our doubts on this subject  NOT close down the debate.  All we want is answers