Looks like my Power Move spring challenge is going well!

I didn't think I would be able to achieve Spring power move because it cuts into my Dinner time. But looks like it's all fine. 

I have dual tarrif, so I set my water boiler & room heating to kick in during the off-peak periods. Also try to get things like washing (and sometimes drying) during night so that it finishes by 6 am in the morning. 

Only hard bit is moving my dinner times after 9 pm, which means late dinner, late sleep. 

7 replies

Well done. I also managed it. Wasn’t so sure I would. 

I managed by delay starting my washing a dishwasher for early morning. I only use my dryer for towels. The rest goes on my dry buddi which is hardly anything to run :) 

Userlevel 3

Well l never achieved my target. though l do use my appliances different times either early or after nine. but cooking is a bit different as we don’t want to eat after nine much to late. so l am not worried about it have enough to think about sometimes.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Lowest use yet. Just a pity it's not £15 any more

Userlevel 1

I failed having had success every time in the winter. 6pm to 9pm is going to be impossible for me. I work full time, come home at 6 and can’t and won’t wait til 9pm to watch some tv or have dinner. I also start work at 7:30am so up early so go to bed about 10pm so obviously virtually all my consumption is within these hours. Oh well did my bit last time and am already a low user. I also don’t use my tumble dryer and if doing washing,  done whilst I am sleeping but when my monthly bill for gas and electricity is £86 and I’m in credit by hundreds of pounds not going to sweat it 

Userlevel 1

I've only ever had a y credit from the one-off Power Move Plus days. I'm a single person household and use  very little power anyway. I always do my washing early (Economy 7 time), vacuum, iron, mow lawns, and try to charge laptop and phone, in the daytime. Where possible I cook before 6pm but certainly can't wait for my meal till after I'm. Bad for you to eat that late anyway. My evening is my time to watch TV and I'm not prepared to sit in solitary silence every evening. So it seems that one 'luxury' scuppers my chance of ever getting below the target, so I've given up worrying about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge

6pm to 9pm is going to be impossible for me.

Sorry to hear that. I suppose you benefit in the long run from everybody else’s efforts to lower that 6-9 peak and make for a healthier future for all of us.

I also start work at 7:30am so up early so go to bed about 10pm …
… my monthly bill for gas and electricity is £86 ...

That sounds a lot, unless you’re not alone racking up a bill like that. It depends a lot on where you live, but for an average GB home, £86 means spending £58 on fuel and £28 on standing charges. I wonder if you might not be able to reduce your overall usage, not just during the peak period.