Skip to main content
Solved

Is being part of Power Move really worth it?

Hi

I am very conscious of the electricity I use, long before Power Move. I use my washing machine in the morning so I can hang out the clothes early and get them dry. I’ve never had a tumble drier. I use my dish washer at night as the eco wash takes nearly three hours. I usually start making dinner after 7pm and only use the TV or radio between 4.00 and 7.00. I never leave the TV on standby but switch it off at the plug. Recently, with the better weather, I’ve been outside more at this time so not using any electricity other than fridge. Despite all this, I have never been successful in a Power Move period.

So, I ask, is this worth it?? 

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The next Power Move Challenge has been announced. Please note the rules have been updated for the Summer Challenge. It starts on the 1st July and runs until 30th September.

The TIMES are the same as before - you need to shift heavy usage away from 6pm to 9pm Weekdays.

However, Weekends have now been added as permanent Off-Peak - any usage during Weekends (regardless of time) will now count towards your Off-Peak usage and help with the targets.

The goals are:

Monthly reward  
0 to 6.50% £10
6.51% to 7.50% £5
7.51% to 8.50% £2

The challenge may seem harder at first, but since Weekends now count as Off-Peak, it’ll actually balance out pretty easily.

We’d like to remind you NOT to deprive yourself however. Do not go without essential usage just to meet targets - it’s the big stuff that makes the difference, not the small things.

As a further reminder, please remember this is OVO Power Move, NOT OVO Power Shutdown. To get the rewards, you must move heavy usage outside of the Peak times, don’t just shut everything down because that won’t do anything - you’ve still gotta use that same stuff to hit the targets!

Userlevel 3

Well l find it hard sometimes l do my washing either different times. or later on after nine. cooking is a bit different not waiting till nine bit late. my husband is diabetic so got to be careful. got email to say haven’t quite made it but nearly there. need to reduce my energy not use it between 6 and 9. But difficult at times.

Userlevel 7

I find that if you want/need to eat between 6-9 then cooking things earlier and reheating in the microwave when wanted helps.

5 mins (or even 10) of microwave use isn’t a lot.
1000W microwave for 5 mins = 0.083 kWh.

Stews, casseroles, rice dishes, pasta dishes, etc. are all ideal for doing that of course, but things like pie/sausage and mash and so on can also be done that way.
Tip: Hot Dog sausages straight from the jar/tin take about 30 seconds to microwave.

As the power move is between 6-9pm from Jul through to Sep, I am no longer meeting the target. The only source of electricity I am using is watching the TV. 

Previously, when the power move was between 4-7pm. I was able to meet the full target  credit on all three occasions  as I did not switch on TV till 7pm.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @powersaver

​​I’m sorry to hear you’re not hitting the target. Power move is about shifting some of your heavier usage away from peak times, and if you don’t use a lot of power, this could make the challenge a little more complicated. We have a few threads with discussions I have left below with some helpful tips. Hopefully, this will be helpful, and you can find a way to meet the targets 😊