Solved

Will anything happen to my generation payments if I get a Smart Meter?

• 17 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge

I have solar panels running under the FITs system. I get an amount for the generated power and a deemed amount at 50% of the generated.

If I move to a Smart meter what happens to the FITs payments?

Will I end up out of pocket by moving across?

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 17 October 2023, 16:44

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BrandyCat , theoretically your deemed export would become measured instead and so it depends on that difference. The generation side stays the same driven by your separate generation meter

Badge

Thanks. I was hoping that was the case.

I had been told that the whole amount becomes measured as export. The export being after I had used any power internally. I would lose quite a bit then!!

My last payment was nearly £500 for the generated and £17 for the deemed amount. So the only bit at risk would be the £17, depending on how much I use or export ranging from 0-100%?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Updated on 26/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Your generation is entirely separate (I’ve been through this myself) and stays as is. If you export less than the deemed 50% then you’d lose (or gain) that amount but the export is a lot lower payment anyway as you know.
You would be able to see your export figure on your smart meter. You should have a separate generation meter which would stay. 

Book a smart meter here today! Or check out this really handy topic on booking a smart meter online: 

Badge

That’s brilliant, thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I wish to move my generated/metered export to a new licensee. My question is: who instigates a move, the current or proposed licensee? and how long does this take? and any other tips when changibg licensee please

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I wish to move my generated/metered export to a new licensee. My question is: who instigates a move, the current or proposed licensee? and how long does this take? and any other tips when changibg licensee please

I recently moved my exports. Timing depends on whether you have an MPAN assigned or not. 
I applied to my new chosen supplier and they got things ready. When it was time - mine took a few weeks - I told the existing supplier that I wanted to end my export tariff and then I sent their confirmation email to my new supplier 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks. I have an export MPAN, just want to change from present licensee

Userlevel 6

Hey @jaybell 

BPLightlog has left some really helpful advice on this already for you, but I just wanted add that we’ve also got a really helpful topic all about this, I’ve linked that topic below:

Hope this has been helpful.😊 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes, thanks.  Had I been able to find the thread you refer to I would not have needed  tp pose a new question!

What’s surprising is the length taken : unlike switching consumption suppliers!

Userlevel 6

Hey @jaybell 

Not to worry, glad you got the answer you needed in the end.😊

What’s surprising is the length taken : unlike switching consumption suppliers!

I do understand that this is a longer process than your typical energy supplier switch when switching the solar agreement, with faster switching for energy suppliers it also seems a lot longer than that switching process. Hopefully things won’t take too long for you.

Pop back any time if you’ve ever got any other questions at all.🙂