We've got a new battery and solar panel, any tips?

• 5 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Array: 6.8 kW, 16 x 430W panels.

Battery: 5.12 kWh

Inverter: 6 kW

Hello,

I am having my setup completed today for a new-built house. I asked the electrician if I double the battery, and he's saying the battery may charge itself with the grid, so it's best to monitor the usage.

We use the dryer and washing machine a lot in the house, and we have just installed underfloor electric heating. We also have a big server drawing a lot of power, which we had to power down for a year due to electricity costs.

As the battery is modular, we are thinking of doubling up, but it does not make sense to charge the battery from the grid.

Any tips and opinions would be much appreciated.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Juice911 , if you looked for an off peak or time of use (ToU) tariff, that might work for you. It’s something we use from another supplier. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you. We are new to this and haven't received much explanation on how things work.

Now, we need to do some research on how to best utilise the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you. We are new to this and haven't received much explanation on how things work.

Now, we need to do some research on how to best utilise the system.

Unfortunately that’s fairly typical , installers generally being ok to install but nothing else. They are often not aware of how the whole system works together (or is supposed to).

Depending on your control monitor, you should be able to set things up to charge, discharge and prioritise as you need - it can take some time unless you automate things. 
Hopefully you have, or can get, some instructions on ‘how to’ for your system 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Juice911, 

Welcome to the Forum! 

It sounds like @BPLightlog has you covered on this one. One of the most exciting parts of installing something new is learning how it works. 

Keep us updated on your progress with the installation. 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello

I wanted to share an update on our recent efforts to monitor the energy consumption of our major appliances, with a particular focus on the dryer, which has seen heavy use in our household over the last six months.

We've been diligently recording the power usage and are pleased to report that our system is capable of efficiently running the dryer, oven, and microwave simultaneously at peak times. This has been a significant relief, and the missus is feeling much less guilty about using the dryer 2-3 times a week now.

We are changing the dishwasher and washing machine timing now, they are runing off solar.

On average, our daytime usage hovers around 0.5 kWh per hour. Remarkably, we've managed to export 113 kWh over the past 6 days, despite four of those days being cloudy.

Looking ahead, we're exploring automation solutions to optimize our overnight charging and take full advantage of our export tariff. We believe this will further enhance our energy efficiency and cost savings.

Thank you for your support and advice as we continue to improve our energy management strategy. We'll keep you updated on our progress and any new developments.

Regards,

Juice911

Userlevel 2

Hi @Juice911,

This is great to hear. We appreciate you keeping us updated on your journey, as this may also be useful for other community members just starting their solar journey.