News

Vehicle to grid (V2G) credits for April and May

Vehicle to grid (V2G) credits for April and May
Userlevel 7

Updated on 11/07/23 by Abby_OVO

The team will be bringing all customers up to date over the next few weeks to reflect April, May and June payments.

They’ll be sending out communications to impacted customers after the payments have been made.

Vehicle to grid export credits

We've spotted a technical problem which meant some customers didn't get some, or all, of their Vehicle-to-Grid credit in April and May.

We're really sorry about this. Once the issue's fixed:

• We'll get in touch to let you know
  • We'll apply all missing credits to your account balance
  • We'll monitor the issue to make sure it doesn't happen again

Thanks for your patience whilst we get this fixed. Any questions you have, post them as a comment below and I’ll get you an answer or point you to the right team.

25 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Tim_OVO ,

Thanks for creating this thread. My main question is whether you will be able to get a break down of the daily or monthly export values which are currently missing, or you will only be able to get the current export reading and use that to calculate how much has been exported. 

If it is the latter, and it occurs after the new price cap kicks in, you would need to estimate how much of the export happened before the new price cap (since the price paid for the export is based on the import price).

Should we keep a record of the export readings from our smart meters on the day the price change occurs?

Also do we have any idea how long it will be before we know when the credits will start again?

Another question, I assume that you will need to get the Export readings from the DCC? If so will there be any mechanism, by which we could also see the export values?

Thanks

Kihon

Userlevel 7

Let me get you an answer to these questions, @kihon. I will be back when I have it. 

if you use the Kaluza app you can get the data from there… go to history-select the month top right ..download csv file.

It would be good to have a timescale for resolution… it is also frustrating that V2G credits are not taken into account when setting Direct Debit amounts… apart from that it has been excellent

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Unfortunately, the app will only show what the V2G charger takes from the car. It will not show what is sent to the grid. It does not deduct what the house uses, and does not show solar exports.

You cannot really use it to check how much you should be getting. For example, the amount I got for April seemed low, but I cannot verify this in any way at the moment.

Kihon

My csv file shows shows columns:  time slot… imported from grid…exported to home…..exported to grid

…I dont have solar

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @SteveDxn ,

Yes, I get a similar set from Kaluza. I had not realized that the Kaluza export data contained more information than showed in the app (thanks for that :) ).  However the numbers seem a bit suspect (I believe they are using a current clamp sensor to estimate the values). Also, it does not show the energy being exported by solar. There is no way for me to tally the values from the Kaluza data export to the values I receive from Ovo as V2G credit.  The only reliable way I can see is to check the smart meter for export values regularly. (You can manually get the value from the smart meter)

In theory the DCC should be able to provide export readings, however none of the apps I have tried which interface with the DCC show export values.

Kihon

Kwl…. Solar is another dimension I may add this year… when I checked the data in the csv it did match the V2G credit

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Tim_OVO 

Just wanted to see if there had been any feed back on this issue?

Thanks

Kihon

Userlevel 7

Hi @kihon

I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

There is a email being sent to all those affected. It’s not been fully signed off and sent yet but I suspect this will be going out later this week. Thanks for your patience. 

No email received and no credits for 2 months… my direct debit is completely out of kilter to my real useage

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @SteveDxn 

Just to update you, I just called Ovo smart home support and they said that the payments should be made in the next couple of weeks. (In two payments, which I assume are for the two missing months)

@Tim_OVO  Do you know if the payments will include any missing from April? Or is it just for May and June?

Thanks

Kihon

Userlevel 6

Hey @kihon  

The team will be bringing all customers up to date this week to reflect April, May and June payments.

They’ll be sending out communications to impacted customers after the payments have been made.

Nope… no credits showing

Badge

Hi, while I too haven’t had the export payments, I’d like to follow on from a couple of comments made above: is there any move by OVO to include the export payments so DD can be reduced to what the house really uses? I am retired, on a pension with a single occupancy property; so like others, inflated regular electric bills puts a strain on paying for other commodities.

If calculations/processes are too I.T. time consuming to develop (given what’s happening in your industry), then utilising  a simple “V2G flag” to allow half (or any sensible fraction) of the computed DD to be paid will go a long way to help us.

Can we put this idea out to the bods that can make that call?

Userlevel 7

Hey @PeterS,

What a great idea that is!

I’m not sure what scope there would be for our product team to develop this, or what difficulties may arise but I'd advise using ‘suggest a feature idea’ option on the Forum to raise this. Other Community Members can then vote on it. 

Badge

I am not being billed for my electricity usage since 21st May 2023, even though Smart meter working. I have not seen a V2G export credit for the last two months. Are these two problems linked and as anybody else got the same problem?

Userlevel 6

Hey @IanJBelper 

Sorry to hear about these issues.

We’ve been aware of some issues surrounding V2G payments, and the team in charge of that is working on getting those payments issued to impacted customers in the next few weeks, see this topic for more on this issue:

I believe you should still have been able to be billed normally for your energy though during this time, and it shouldn’t be connected. You should get in touch with the Support Team to discuss this issue with the billing and they’ll be able to find out what the issue is and get that resolved for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Abby_OVO 

The credit for April/May/June has been applied to my account, however I have not had any credit added for July. When should we expect this? Normally it is applied a few days into the next month (ie the first few days of Aug)

Thanks

Kihon

Userlevel 7

Hi @kihon

Yes I’ve just confirmed that unfortunately we're delayed in making the July payments. We've finished the work to reconcile V2G customer's payments to the end of June, we're now looking at calculating the July payments.

When I’ve heard the latest ETA I’ll comment here to confirm. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @kihon

Yes I’ve just confirmed that unfortunately we're delayed in making the July payments. We've finished the work to reconcile V2G customer's payments to the end of June, we're now looking at calculating the July payments.

When I’ve heard the latest ETA I’ll comment here to confirm. 

Hi @Tim_OVO 

Just checking to see if there has been any update on this.

Thanks

Kihon

Userlevel 7

Hey @kihon,

Just asking the team for an update on this, will report back on this topic 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO 

Is there an issue with the V2G credit for September? It has still not been added to my account.

Thanks

Kihon.

Userlevel 6

Hi @kihon 

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with your September payment.

We’ve not had any reports of issues with the September payments. I’ll raise this to the team to check for any issues. It might also be worth sending an email over to smarthome@ovoenergy.com to have them check things out for anything account specific. 

I’ll pop back here when I hear back from the team.

Userlevel 6

Hey @kihon 

Back already. The team have said that  most payments were made yesterday, but if you’ve still not received yours, it should be with you today with the remaining one’s to be paid.

If you’ve still not received it after today, do let us know or send the team an email directly. Hope this helps.