Solved

Trying to reduce my bill at OVO as I have an Air Source Heat Pump

• 7 March 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge

I would like to enquire whether anyone has had very expensive bills from OVO with an ASHP.  My bills each month are between £500 and £600.  I have read on their website that you can get a reduction for some part of the bill if you have an ASHP, but finding it hard to received information on how to go about this and what information OVO need to prove the installation.  Does anyone have any knowledge please?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 8 March 2024, 10:57

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @gailrobinson ,  if you already have your heat pump installed, I’m not sure if you can still get any grants

https://www.ovoenergy.com/heat-pumps

https://www.ovoenergy.com/heat-pump-plus

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you’d like to give some more info on the heat pump system you have we may be able to help get those bills down ! 
Can you post some photos of the various parts of the system, say when it was installed, what temperatures you have heating and hot water set to, whether you run a schedule for either, number of bedrooms/bathrooms. The more info you can share the more help we can give !!

Userlevel 7

Hey @gailrobinson,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community, 

I can see our Community Members have already stepped in to give some helpful advice here. I’m sure if you post some photos, juliamc will be able to give some more pointers about how to get your bills down.

I just wanted to share the following topics which might hold some useful information to you:

I’ve also added a ‘heat pump’ badge to your account so other heat pump users can identify you 😊

Badge

Thank you for your help, here is more information on my air source heat pump.  

It is a Daikin Altherma Hydro Split Air Source Heat Pump.  I took a photo a couple of minutes ago.

I am trying to get my bill down as it is very expensive?

Hoping for some advice.  Our property has a large footprint as it is a long stone barn.

Thank you

Gail Robinson

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Gail. At first glance I’d say your underfloor heating at 40 deg is very high, 30 is much more appropriate. Can you say a bit more about the timings you have set ? (I’m assuming you do have underfloor in both zones - my controller is set to ufh but actually I have radiators!)

The longer the hp is running the more efficient it is, you can lower the temp rather than shorten the hours it’s running for.

Is the house at the temperature you want, and what temp is that ?

Badge

Hi Julia,  Thank you, I will lower the underfloor temperature and look at the settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Are you using a ‘WD Curve’ ie a weather dependent curve, or is it a Fixed flow temperature for your heating? Fixed flow is not as efficient as WD. 
Installers sometimes set the system up with fixed flow then tell the homeowner to just use the room thermostat to adjust the required room temperature. This is nearly always a bad idea for heat pumps!

The preferred method is to use a WD Curve whereby the ‘leaving water temperature’ (or LWT) in the emitters (ufh or rads) changes according to the outside temp, the colder it is outside the warmer the LWT. This curve takes a bit of time and patience to get right but when it’s correctly defined the hp can tick along gently just producing enough heat to balance the heat loss from the building. It can run all day (and night) long not using much electricity at all.

You can check which yours it set to on the controller screen under Main zone > > Setpoint mode > and whichever is set is highlighted in blue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@gailrobinson Have you had an opportunity to look at your heat pump settings ? Has it helped ?