Solved

Main fuse cut out upgrade needed for electric vehicle (EV) charger installation - how do I arrange this?

I had an electrician round this afternoon to discuss fitting a EV charge point and he said that we need an upgraded fuse cut out, the house was built in the 1930s and it's probably the original fuse cut out (the fuse element is just a piece of copper wire!).
I need this upgrading to something safer and with at least an 80A fuse.

The electrician was also asking what earthing facility is at the property and how the earth is provided in the street.  There doesn’t seem to be a DB earth terminal.

Who do I contact?  (I live in Staffordshire, distribution ID 14)

Many thanks

Steve

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 14 April 2023, 21:44

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 14/02/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Hiya!

That’ll be National Grid AKA Western Power Distribution. Try this one: https://www.nationalgrid.co.uk/contact-us/contacting-national-grid-electricity-distribution/ways-to-contact-us

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You may have a TT system rather than PME if you live outside a conurbation. A TT system uses a local earth with an earth rod but there should certainly be an earth connection somewhere. 

Userlevel 7

All good with your next steps then, @SteveDoddsMTB

Keep us updated on your journey to getting an EV charger fitted. You’re probably not alone in needing this sort of work done so it will be handy to have it documented here for anyone coming after you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have an EV charger and a heat pump. I also have a 60 Amp main fuse. Should I get this upgraded to 100 Amp before I get solar installed ? I hope to get battery storage too in due course. The thermal image shows the main fuse was warm when both the charger and heat pump were operating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m surprised that your main fuse is 60A. It’s obviously only when you’re using everything together that this comes into play (apart from a fault) but mine was upgraded when I had solar (to 100A) and I don’t yet have a Heat Pump or EV. 
The thermal image doesn’t necessarily show a fault  as it will depend on what was ‘on’ at that point. You normally use a Thermal Camera to look for hot spots (or cold spots) and yours is just showing a general glow on the active parts. The indicated temperature is also not excessive but if it were me, I would suggest an increase on fusing

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @BPLightlog that’s confirmed what I was thinking. The EV charger was installed first, then the heat pump on the government EoH trial. It’s been like this for 2.5 years. It’s only now the solar company advised upgrading that I’ve started to think about it.
I’m on the Cosy tariff with Octopus which has a 3 hour afternoon cheap rate so it’s possible I’d have ev, dishwasher, washing machine and heat pump running. What would happen if I then switched on the kettle 💥‼️ Better not push my luck… Octopus have the meter tails upgrade request so I’ll just have to wait for them before I get anything else installed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Having said which, I think the PodPoint charger pedals back if there’s a heavy load detected on the line. Can’t remember where I got that impression??

Userlevel 7

@Soo P @Chris78 @ScottC27 @CWM all have the PodPoint charger - have you heard of this dynamic charging based on current load?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ive not seen it happen. the only time ive seen the charge reduce down to 4Kw was in the summer on a very hot day the car was in direct sunlight but it was the car responsible for the change due to temperatures not the charger 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I now have the main fuse upgraded to 100 Amps 🥳 

Do I need to update my PodPoint charger with this information somehow? Was originally installed when the main fuse was 60 A

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don’t think so, it should be automatic depending on the kW rating of your charger 

Badge

I now have the main fuse upgraded to 100 Amps 🥳 

Do I need to update my PodPoint charger with this information somehow? Was originally installed when the main fuse was 60 A

EV charges have a max of 32 amps on single phase, so can´t see why you would need to change anything. 

Mine had a sensor installed to potentially limit it, but, with 100amps and still on gas, I cannot see it ever limiting the output until we have a second car charger and a powerful heat pump installed.