Solved

Faulty FIT Meter- Whose responsible?

• 24 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi

The FIT meter for my solar panels have stopped working. It is showing the same reading since June 2023 which is 3 months ago.

Who do you contact? Is it OVO or do I need to get in touch with an electrician?

Thanks

B Burnett

icon

Best answer by bjburnett72 28 September 2023, 15:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @bjburnett72 , presuming you’re talking about the FiT generation meter, it would be your installer or an electrician

Userlevel 2

My generation meter used to throw a wobbly every so often depending on the grid stability - I just switched it off, counted to 10 and switched it on again.  Following the DNO Accelerated loss of mains programme and a few tweaks to the LoM protection and associated settings, the “Fault SPI network system interface protection triggered” alarms stopped. These adjustments also upgraded the relay system from G59 to G99 and my generation system now meets the requirements of the G99 notification process. The generation meter hasn’t stopped since these changes. 

(For background info: The G59 relay is the protection interface with the grid which protects against surges and disconnects the the source when there is a loss in mains grid. A change to the protection settings are required as it has been identified that they are currently too sensitive which can result in various issues.

All owners of generation systems commissioned or connected before 1st Feb 2018 have a requirement to comply with the required changes to the relay by 31st August 2022. After that date, owners who have not made the change may be the subject of an enforcement programme.)

It would need installer input to effect these changes, your average spark wouldn’t know where to begin !

Userlevel 7

Hey @P50WKB  that really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

@bjburnett72 if you would keep us posted on how you get on would be great to hear how your experience was and whether you went down the installer/electrician route. 🙂

Updated on 21/02/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Hi all

Thanks for all the feedback. I emailed the FIT team at OVO and this is the response I received.

---

If you are having problems with your installation or generation meter, this would fall to the responsibility of your installer to investigate and replace any faulty equipment. If you do have any parts of your installation changed, you need to ensure you inform us as soon as possible.

Please report any installation changes to us via email - fits@ovoenergy.com.

If your original installer is no longer trading as a business, we would then advise to source a new local installer to see if they are able to assist you with any issues. If you are not able to do this, then please contact your local citizens advice for support.

---

Hope this is helpful to all. I am in the process of getting my solar panel installer back to fix my FIT meter.

regards

B Burnett