Solved

Cost effective heating and boiler settings: higher boiler temperature with fewer radiators or the opposite?

• 11 October 2023
  • 3 replies

When i have to put the heating on with my combi boiler is it cheaper to have the boiler set at 70 eco with less radiators on, or at 50 with more radiators on? My boiler man has serviced the boiler and set it to 70 eco for when i need the heating on. Any ideas welcome please! 

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 11 October 2023, 14:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @LSdevon , I think much of the answer is about insulation. If you leave certain radiators off then are those rooms/spaces shut off. If so there might be gaps around the doors etc. 

Most people that I have spoken to leave their radiators on but reduce the flow temperature of the boiler. 
The Heat Geek guys are good at explaining things

You should also be able to set your hot water temperature separately which might be more economical 

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at that! 

Userlevel 7

Great question, @LSdevon.

I’ve tweaked the title a bit to help others find it. Hopefully we’ll get some other tips here along with excellent advice from BPLightlog. 

Check out this topic about using infrared cameras to visually see poorly insulated areas of the home and what to do about them: