Solved

Chameleon IHD3 Pylon display without a Smart Export Agreement. Am I giving my surplus away for free?

• 31 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi, I have just had Solar installed in the very dull month of March and occasionally the the IHD shows that I am exporting small amounts back to the grid by showing the Pylon icon without me having an Export Tariff agreement

I realise that if the Export readout shows zero, there is no cost or reward

If the readout is below zero does this mean I am exporting without reward

Or is my export, when  the reading to below zero automatically being deducted from previously or future import electricity

I hope this not too stupid a question

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 31 March 2023, 14:16

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Hospur . Yes the pylon shows when exporting back to the grid which might happen intermittently even without an export tariff. 
The solar PV system has to balance generation with demand and needs to ‘get rid’ of excess and so puts it back into the grid. It does not count towards future consumption, hence the SEG export tariffs 
What sort of system do you have?

Badge +2

Thank you for your interest

Interestingly when I first stated to think about my “Project” I discounted Solar as my principle objective was to charge batteries during off peak and discharge during on peak, but when I became aware that if batteries were installed at the same time as Solar the whole project was Zero VAT and that I could dispense with one 5kwh battery, the saving app £4,500 would finance most if not all of the cost of the Solar part and enable me potentially to charge my EV and Hot water for free as opposed to off peak, it seemed like a good idea. What I did not realise was that the easy way of obtaining SEG approval was via MCS authorisation,  which has created a problem though I do not believe it is insurmountable. Do you have a view?

My installation was carried out by an NIC approved contractor with a qualifying officer who are new to Solar and they thought that when my project was completed they could apply for MCS authority and back date my project, but apparently not

The system is a 2 string SE & SW facing roofs 4.2kwh total coupled to a SunSynk 8.8kw Inverter (Peak use 7/8kwh twice a day) and 4 x 5.1kwh Sunsynk stacking batteries. I have 1 non essential Consumer unit to control the Inverter, EV and Cooking equipment and 2 Essential Consumer Units covering the rest of the house which offers me a flexible choice. I have an immersion off an  auxiliary on the inverter which ties into excess Solar above house needs and also a Zappi that works in the same way. I have installed a change over switch that isolates all Grid electricity to connect a Generator should the need arise

My current electricity cost is 4p off peak and 14p on peak but will revert to 12p and 44p when my contract ends in June. As I use 7,000kwh on peak p.a. which makes a differential of 32p kwh between off & on peak and multiplied by 7,000kwh equates to £2,240 annual saving subject to being able to avoid any on peak grid use and there should be as yet an unknown saving at off peak costs as batteries should be able to part charge from the Solar for at least 8 months of the year. My normal off peak has been around 4,500 kwh charging the EV and Dishwasher

The total cost is around £20,000 and I am not a believer in Rate of Return. I had the money in some shares and in the bank that equated to around £500 return before tax and it will now return around 12/14% tax free and installing this system has given me a good level of satisfaction with the bonus of trying to do my bit for the planet

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Interesting. I think you may struggle without an MCS certification. I also wonder if your installer was in touch with the local DNO as they need to approve any potential excess grid feed although you seem to have most of that covered. 
Some of the problem with not wanting to feed to the grid comes from the speed with switching significant loads. Many systems take a little time to balance hence you seeing some export. 
The payback will, I’m sure be worthwhile as energy trends don’t completely reverse and if you have covered you prime kw needs, you should be fine. One of the things to note - I’m sure you’re aware - is the load at specific times so making sure that your peak needs are supplied from the system whenever possible.
There are several solar PV and battery owners here and I’m sure they’ll be interested too. There are some decent EV tariff’s available too but it sounds like you also have that covered

Badge +2

Forgot to add we did get DNO approval which was very quick as I live on a 20 year old estate that has new PME infrastructure and I already had 100amp cut out

Userlevel 7

Nice set up, @Hospur - thanks for outlining this. You’ve got a few nice forum badges for all of that green tech. Now others on the forum can see you have that bit of tech and might end up asking for your advice. 

As BPLightlog mentions, EV tariffs, have you considered ours: