Solved

Can I replace a storage heater without economy 7?

Badge

Just joined this Forum. I have THTC running storage heaters, one of which is now beyond repair so need to replace it with something. I am told by OVO there is no current (sorry for the pun) solution. Is it not possible for new, modern heaters to work with THTC? 

I am relieved to find from this Forum that I am not the only one with this problem.

icon

Best answer by thelearner 5 April 2024, 16:18

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @Rayboy ,

Please post photos of everything - this will help us advise you better.

Thanks!

Badge
These are my meters

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thx, that’s as expected.

You can replace the dead heater with another storage heater on a drop-in like-for-like basis and it should just work.

Or were you planning on something else?

Badge

Thanks for your quick reply. The problem I seem to have is that the new models I have seen require Economy 7. Are you aware of any simple model that is not too fancy. I am afraid my ancient brain struggles with all this new stuff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… I think I know a trick for this.

Let me fling this backstage - we’ll be back soon!

Badge +1

You should not need Economy 7 - I replaced one of my dad’s old Dimplex with the Dimplex Quantum range, and he has just had others replaced last year, also with Dimplex Quantum. All I did was set the required temperatures - the THTC signal puts on the power for charging the bricks. 

Some of his older quantums only has the single feed cable from the THTC heating consumer unit. All the new ones need 2 input cables, one that is on 24/7 (for control) and the THTC heating cable 

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/en-gb/products/installed-heating/storage-heaters/quantum 

All his ones were replaced with brand new units - not cheap - but I have seen many nearly new heaters for sale - but they are very heavy when the bricks are installed. New ones come with bricks in 25kg boxes for handling reasons. 

Ask Dimplex if in any doubt - but my dads ones work fine. 

Badge

Thank you very much for this info. I feel very comforted. Why could OVO not just tell me this instead of all the run around they have been giving me. I was worried that it would just not work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Most of the Support Team haven’t been briefed on THTC yet. As a Forum Volunteer, I currently know more than they do - this will change once the new solution has been made available.

That’s why it’s best for most THTC questions to come here first - we’re better equipped to answer.

Badge

So glad I found and joined this Forum! I will keep you informed of progress.

Rayboy

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As has been mentioned, storage heaters aren’t tied to a tariff however THTC is a system that has to change at some point. 
Your choice really depends on if you intend to stay with some sort of off peak heating with storage heaters or if you intend to move away. 
There will be a metering solution at some point  but whether it will be able to maintain the same timings for off peak is doubtful. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We love our Quantum storage heaters. They work perfectly with THTC and are really controllable. You set the temperature you want and that's what you get....different temperatures at different times and the rooms can all be different.  If only we could leave OVO and get the benefit of much cheaper electricity.....maybe in the next year???

Badge

Once again thank you so much for this. My wife and I were so worried that nothing would work. This is all so very confusing to us. Life seemed so much simpler when we were married in 1963. Then, we just lit a fire in the grate. Now, simply keeping warm is a problem.

Rayboy