Skip to main content
Solved

Why am I getting an error on PAYG phone app using my Android?

I'm on PAYG so downloaded the app to both my phone and tablet (both android)   I can access my account through the tablet but the phone just gets the popup message OVO has stopped, does anyone know how to fix this?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @sanddy24 ,

Sometimes re-installing the app fixes this. Have you tried that yet?

If that doesn’t work, please tell me what device you’ve got e.g. Samsung Galaxy A54 or Google Pixel 6a and what version of Android you’re running - if you can grab the app version too, that also helps. If you can tell me this for both devices, that’d be ideal.

Thanks!

Uninstalled and re-installed a few times, still getting the same message, phone is a galaxy S7,

MODEL: SM-G93F

Android version 8.0

Userlevel 6

Hey @sanddy24 

Sorry to hear you’re having issues.

Is it the same app on both devices, and one isn’t the pay monthly OVO app? It sounds like the pop up is coming from our pay monthly app which wouldn’t work with your PAYG account.

Would you be able to share a screenshot of the pop-up with us?

Clicking on the app brings up this message and this message only

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. This sounds like an issue for PayPoint to fix, as they’re the developer of that app rather than OVO.

The other snag I can see here is that you’re running a pretty old device at this point, for which Android 8.0 Oreo is the last available Android release it can get - the most recent is Android 14 with Android 15 coming in a few months from now. That’s quite a lag which may suggest that you’re right on the edge of what the app will support.

I’d say you’ve got at most two years left before the OVO Top-Up app - and most of your other apps - totally lock you out on that device.

Well I have the ovo app on my tablet running on android 8 so........

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’d also need to know what device your tablet is, since you don’t seem to have mentioned it yet.

Each Android device has a different build that’s unique to that model (and often each sub-model/variant!) so just because one works, doesn’t mean they both will even if they’re the same manufacturer.

The other snag is you’re still running that phone on Samsung Experience… Let’s just say it’s… Pretty broken these days… It was based somewhat heavily on Samsung TouchWiz and was later replaced by Samsung One UI which was a total rebuild. There is no alternative to that which you can still use on a Galaxy S7.

Might make it hard to fix unfortunately. Depends on PayPoint.

Thanka for the replies

Ok  so why did it work last year?

Not sure when it stopped as I had put the app on the tablet for handyness sake

My wife has a newer model S7 when she gets back I'll check her phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Android 8 support was terminated by Google on the 4th October 2021. Samsung would have killed support at around the same sort of time. As of right now, only Android 12 and later are supported upstream by Google. In a few months time though, Android 12 will also hit the bin.

Apps might continue to work after an Android version goes EoL, but it’s no longer guaranteed. As apps continue to get updated for newer Android releases, compatibility with older ones will slowly begin to break.

Well I cant be bothered buying a new phone every 2 years or so just to buy electricity so I better go and have a think

Thanks again for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries - and I’ve considered that possibility. You wouldn’t need to swap the device as often anymore.

Samsung has now committed to way more than two years of software updates for the most recent devices - and for most of that time, Android upgrades would also be included. This matches Google’s own stance with the Google Pixel range.

If you went with something like the Samsung Galaxy S24 or alternatively (for a lot less cash) the Samsung Galaxy A55, you’ll get up to four years of Android upgrades and an extra year of software updates on top of that - which should help it last longer.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just a thought - OVO’s app team did say at one point that they tested against Android 7 and up, so your S7 should be covered although as Blastoise mentions, PayPoint may not be quite so generous.  Some users found that clearing the app cache solved otherwise inexplicable problems, so that may be worth a try. Apps behave weirdly when their storage space overflows. Here are some pretty clear instructions: How to Clear App Cache on Samsung Galaxy S7 • Android Flagship