Solved

Why is my smart meter electricity import usage higher overnight than during the day?

• 7 September 2022
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My usage graph on the web site is showing electricity usage of between 0.7 and 0.11 kwh per half hour overnight between 10.30 pm and 6.30 am.  During the day, my usage is as expected, but there are lots of 30 minute times when my usage is zero, so the overnight cannot be appliances that are continually turned on?

I then looked at a time when I was on holiday, and virtually everything in the house was turned off - this was in the summer, so no heating, immersion heater, all pcs and tvs turned off.  In this case, I had between 0.5 and 0.7 kwh between 9pm and 5.30 am, and virtually zero during the day?

What could I have that uses electricity overnight but not during the day, or is this not a true reading?

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 7 September 2022, 12:44

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @janetbeal ,

Just so you’re aware, the OVO Forum is patrolled by forum volunteers such as myself. We don’t work for OVO so we can’t access your account from here.

Could you show us some photos of your smart meters and also screenshots of those usage graphs please? We’re really good at puzzle solving, so chances are good that we can figure this one out!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

July by day - I was on holiday, returning on the 8th.

half hourly for 3rd July - on holiday, so nearly everything turned off

half hourly for 2nd Sept - shows higher usage overnight than most of the day.  Spikes are reasonable - making tea early morning and mid afternoon, cooking dinner in the evening.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks! I’ll see if I can figure anything out, but I also know that @nealmurphy and @juliamc quite enjoy this type of puzzle. I’ll see if they’re free. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Bookmarked for later ! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

many thanks - let me know if you need any more information

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This one may stump me!

2nd Sept has peaks at the correct times, so not a clock issue.

You'd expect the graph to be pretty uniform when away and with slightly higher use during the day as the fridge freezer would be working harder due to higher ambient temperature.

That's a very low daytime baseload.

Just to get some background. What used all the electricity on the day you got back on the 8th?

I assume you don't have solar?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have solar panels, with a diverter to the immersion heater, so in the summer I hardly use the gas boiler to heat water as the solar panels do most of this.

I have an air con unit in one room, so electricity usage was higher on the very hot days this summer, and I do use a fan overnight - but not when I was away on holiday. 

The high usage on 8th July was charging my electric car when I got back from holiday.

Badge +1

@janetbeal 

so when do you normally charge your car?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

half hourly for 3rd July - on holiday, so nearly everything turned off

half hourly for 2nd Sept - shows higher usage overnight than most of the day.  Spikes are reasonable - making tea early morning and mid afternoon, cooking dinner in the evening.  

So it’s the solar that’s giving you virtually zero import during the daylight hours and why your baseload is higher overnight (but still low)?

@Tim_OVO can we get @janetbeal some nice badges?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ooh, so intriguing @janetbeal !! Am I right in thinking you have an EV which you charged when you returned home? The overnight usage isn’t too huge but could there be a small electric heater somewhere on a timer eg greenhouse or something ? Keep us posted...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks - the solar makes sense of why my usage is higher overnight - I should have realised!

The question about when I charge my car - I have a smart charger, so if I am getting solar power it drops the rate to match the solar.  If I boost the charge then it has to use electric from the grid.  I try to charge during the day when I have solar and let the smart charger do its thing, but sometimes I need to boost so that I get faster charging.

I don’t have the tariff that gives cheaper electricity for car charging overnight as this would be overall more expensive that the Nov 21 fixed rate that I am currently on.

Thanks for all your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

🙄 should have refreshed the page before chipping in with my remark !

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks all, I have not used the forum before but will definitely keep looking to see if there are any useful hints.