Power Use and Grid balancing

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is more gathering thoughts from power suppliers and those in the know than a question for the general user. 
Given the increasing cost of power for the consumer, the drive towards electrification with EV’s and the need to balance the grid network, which is more important - reducing power use or moving power consumption to off peak ?

I would imagine that government have instructed power companies to follow a route towards reducing power need, however, as the modern family adds technology to its everyday use, the general requirements will undoubtedly increase. 
Coupled with this, the UK grid is currently not best placed to cope with increasing demand, especially at peak times if significant extra requirements such as EV are added to the mix

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

We have an EV and I always make sure I charge it when there is max renewable electricity according to the National Grid ESO app. It’s only a guide as it’s ‘when to plug in’ doesn’t relate to regions but there’s a map which helps. It’s like Ovo’s Greenlight but easier to interpret. Sorry OVO! I use that app to set the washing machine and dishwasher too though I realise their use is trivial compared to the car. Right now my area is 58% wind generated power so perfect to plug everything in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the info on the National Grid app - I wasn’t aware of that. We have a hybrid as I’m still hedging my bets on future tech. I’ve always looked at the carbon indicator on the OVO site but NG has better info and shows the diverse power grid we have in the UK. 
I’m really keen to use what we can to make better choices on power consumption 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think reducing peak demand is the primary issue. If you can avoid addional power sources having to come online to satisfy demand then that is ultimately a good thing.

EVs will be charged at the cheapest times if at all possible. This is generally when the grid is the greenest anyway.

Out of interest, you say you are hedging your bets on future tech. What in particular are you waiting for? Yes, technology is improving all the time. But if everyone kept waiting for the next big thing to come along none of us would have computers or mobile phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@nealmurphy I tend to agree, especially as energy storage is improving and off peak adds to the lower carbon use. We have had solar PV for over 13 years and added battery storage about a year ago. 
My view on EV’s is the need for infrastructure improvement. The charging system out and about is not ideal at present. There are still developments in hydrogen technology as well so we’ll see how things go. I’m keen to do my bit to reduce carbon emissions hence the current hybrid. But taxation and other policies tend to play with a heavy hand as well

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@BPLightlog agree about the EV charging infrastructure.

As for hydrogen, I can't see that happening any time soon for light vehicles. Shell seem to be concentrating on goods vehicles now, so the 500 hydrogen cars on the road now only have 11 filling points available.

https://www.electrive.com/2022/10/18/shell-quietly-closes-all-hydrogen-filling-stations-in-the-uk/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I notice a few more companies still in development of hydrogen cars but it is a longer term resolution. 
More significantly National Grid appear to be pushing peak use reduction significantly now. 

National Grid raises discounts for off-peak electricity use

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Going off on a slight tangent... there's an app called "When to plug in" that shows the carbon intensity of our electricity at various times of day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Going off on a slight tangent... there's an app called "When to plug in" that shows the carbon intensity of our electricity at various times of day.

Is that the same one that @juliamc mentions above? National Grid ESO. I hadn’t heard of it before but not have it and take a look each day. Unless you’re in Scotland, it’s a bit depressing at the minute as we’re generating mostly from gas

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It looks similar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Trail that Octopus are involved with

https://octopus.energy/blog/equinox-flexibility-trial/

https://www.nationalgrid.co.uk/news-and-events/latest-news/save-money-while-helping-the-grid-equinox-heat-pump-flexibility-trial-kicks-off

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Trail that Octopus are involved with

https://octopus.energy/blog/equinox-flexibility-trial/

Lots of info there @Jeffus - just what I like!

It’s good also to see some work being done in this area, especially as technology and devices become more widespread 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Interestingly electricity demand has been decreasing year on year, although obviously we have very few heat pumps and electric vehicles so far apart from the early adopters. 

Another interesting site for those that like these sort of things, including the above screen shot. 

https://grid.iamkate.com

They are all basically using the same open data set that anyone can access. 

There is also the Octopus Agile data that is used in many home automation systems. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks @Jeffus , I had seen similar stats elsewhere but I’m not sure that the last few years can be taken as ‘normal’. Earlier years, certainly with the drive towards more efficient machinery. 
You are right of course about the limited take up of EV and such like at present and there is the problem of the supply infrastructure not being built for those sort of loads, especially in cities. 
As with so much else, it will be a mix of technology, legislation and the supply/demand balance which will begin to make it’s mark. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Record day for wind on the 26th Oct.