Loop - Turn it Down: get rewarded for using less energy!

• 12 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Morning all,

as some of you have mentioned Loop before, I presume that you may have seen their ‘Turn it Down’ scheme .. I guess based on the National Grid. 

I use Loop (and SmartThings actually) and so have asked to participate but … who are Loop? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

They are intending to keep 20% of the National Grid reward to cover their costs which seems reasonable given they don't make money from energy supply. 

https://loop.homes/turn-down-and-save/#:~:text=What%20is%20Turn%20Down%20and,generate%20electricity%20at%20peak%20times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Interesting. Wonder if this can be combined with a scheme from an energy supplier or if it is one scheme per meter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Interesting. Wonder if this can be combined with a scheme from an energy supplier or if it is one scheme per meter. 

I’m presuming that as this is the NG test (one hour to be advised per event), it is quite different to any specific supplier scheme such as Power Move

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I can’t see National Grid paying the same person twice if they are on multiple schemes.

Edit: Found it in the Loop FAQs:

Can I sign up for this and other Demand Flexibility Schemes?

You can only take part in one provider’s scheme.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks @Tim_OVO for highlighting this thread, interesting to see what loop are doing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’d never heard of Loop until now - thanks for pointing it out ! I’ve just read that they have a solar panel and battery simulator so you can see how they would work with your individual electricity load. Anyone tried this ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’d never heard of Loop until now - thanks for pointing it out ! I’ve just read that they have a solar panel and battery simulator so you can see how they would work with your individual electricity load. Anyone tried this ?

It seems to make assumptions on predicting generation - the only thing is you can’t tell the simulation that you have one or the other so it’s a little on/off. It also takes no top level of available kw output from the system so again is not accurate as to replacing grid by solar/storage