Skip to main content

economy 7 water heater running continuously since key overwrite 

I have a key meter and all electric Dimplex storage heaters and an immersion water heater designed to run on Economy 7. I had an overwrite on my electric key due to another issue. In the last couple of days I have noticed that I can hear the immersion water heater heating at all times of the day. Previously I only heard it heating up during the night on the Ecomony 7 times. I have been told by OVO already that my meter does not use the RTS signal so it’s nothing to do with the signal being switched off. I also noticed a storage heater switched on during the day today for the first time this winter heating up during the afternoon.   Im a bit concerned as to why this has suddenly happened and worried that it will start using a lot of electricity. So far it doesn’t seem to have but I’ve only just noticed it.  Can someone please advise?

Hi @Flora48 ,

Our records indicate your current meter is an Actaris ACE9000 KBD, does that sound right? This is based on what you’ve previously posted to the Forum.

Sounds like something’s up with either the meter or the way it’s been programmed. You might want to ask OVO to reprogram it again.

If that doesn’t work… Your best bet is probably to have the meter swapped out. Just a heads up though - I estimate you’ve probably only got around 3 years left before the meter expires anyway so now might be a good time to replace it.

Not sure what type of meter I have but you have given me a very good answer. Thank you 

Hey @Flora48 

Sorry to hear about this, but I’m glad to see Blastoise186 has already stopped by with some great advice here. 

Keep us updated with how you get on with this, and if you’re still having trouble, definitely pop back.

On further investigation I have noticed that the water heater is definitely running all day and using large amounts of electricity. I switched off the off peak switch and the heater immediately stopped heating (I can hear it heating up).  An I correct in thinking that I need a new electric meter as suggested?

Probably not - something probably just needs to be reconfigured via the key.

However, you are welcome to request a Smart Meter upgrade instead if you wish - it’s totally up to you but that’s probably what I’d do.

Very interesting because the problem only happened after a key overwrite. This was the mquestion I was going to ask you! So how do I get OVO to understand that they have to sort out my key? I had 2 key overwrites recently and it seems that they have caused the problem? I was on the phone for hours to OVO last week trying to get another key issue fixed. Or then if I want a smart meter I have the other issue with OVO saying that they couldn’t move the earth that was in the wrong place. It then took a visit and 3 emails from SSEN to OVO to tell them that the earth can indeed be moved by OVO but it was difficult and I was hoping not to have to explain it again to them. This was why I decided to keep the key meter until this happened.  

You OK to hang in there for a day or two? I need to fling this one backstage to discuss with the others.

We’ll come back to you as soon as we can!

I’m very grateful for your help. It’s been a very difficult process to say the least 

You OK to hang in there for a day or two? I need to fling this one backstage to discuss with the others.

We’ll come back to you as soon as we can!

Any updates @Blastoise186? If not I can ask internally.

Sorry this has been a difficult process for you @Flora48 

Emmanuelle_OVO more than happy to message or phone you to discuss a solution 

Unfortunately not I’m afraid @Emmanuelle_OVO ,

Everyone I’ve been asking can’t think of any advice on this one. Sorry!

Hey @Flora48,

I think Blastoise is right, a meter exchange may be the best option in this scenario. You’ll need to contact the support team.

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

Unfortunately we don’t have capabilities on the forum to call or book appointments.

Please keep us posted with how you get on.