Battery Options

• 26 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are often questions from those looking to install solar PV on their home regarding whether batteries are worthwhile. 
I've often commented how important batteries are to get the best from any generation system but perhaps today I can show why. 
It has been a reasonable day for solar generation and the batteries have taken excess power which would otherwise be ‘lost’ to the grid. 

The image above shows how solar has mostly powered our usage and added around 50% charge to our battery storage (consisting of a bank with 14.4kw storage capacity).

At present, it is slightly overcast but there is still 725w being generated which covers the house requirements and continues to add to the battery storage. 

If I wanted to boil a kettle at this point, the home requirements would jump to just under 3kW and so the solar PV would not be sufficient to cope. However as there is abundant power in the battery storage and the system can deliver around 3.6kw, we would not draw from the grid whereas without the batteries we would draw almost 2kW while the kettle was on. 
This is the situation faced several times each day as loads are switched on, often surpassing solar generation at that point. Charge in the batteries supplement the requirements and reduce the need to use power from the grid. 
The same will happen overnight as the sun goes down and without batteries, we would be using power from the grid at the tariff rate whereas our batteries today will cover our electric requirements throughout the night when we hope for another sunny day. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s so helpful @BPLightlog ! I’m trying to work out what size battery to get and what size pv. Your graph suggests you’ve set the battery to charge to 25% at night, so you have capacity for the solar during the day. Am I right ? Do you have to manually adjust that with the seasons ? In the winter you’d want the battery filled 100% overnight.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s so helpful @BPLightlog ! I’m trying to work out what size battery to get and what size pv. Your graph suggests you’ve set the battery to charge to 25% at night, so you have capacity for the solar during the day. Am I right ? Do you have to manually adjust that with the seasons ? In the winter you’d want the battery filled 100% overnight.

Actually last night I just let the grid supply power as Agile was low-ish priced. Normally a good sunny day fully charges the batteries as well as supplying the house and any excess is exported (for a price).

In winter, I can charge the batteries overnight if needed and so the flexibility to have several options is good for different scenarios - if you want to adjust. 
There are also some systems which can take inputs which forecast the weather ahead and charge depending on price. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

TIL:

State of charge - Wikipedia

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

TIL: 

Today I Learned

Userlevel 7
Badge

IYKYK

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

IYKYK

TIL2T

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Actually last night I just let the grid supply power as Agile was low-ish priced. Normally a good sunny day fully charges the batteries as well as supplying the house and any excess is exported (for a price).

In winter, I can charge the batteries overnight if needed and so the flexibility to have several options is good for different scenarios - if you want to adjust. 
There are also some systems which can take inputs which forecast the weather ahead and charge depending on price. 

Ah - so how are you controlling that ? I’d like to get a system which does all this by itself. One day I’ll be too gaga to know what to do, but I’d like it all to function properly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah - so how are you controlling that ? I’d like to get a system which does all this by itself. One day I’ll be too gaga to know what to do, but I’d like it all to function properly.

I control it via the inverter control (which is either via an app or a web interface).

For a weather controlled system, my inverter has an auto program which looks at the local weather and adjusts the overnight charge accordingly. 
When I look at charging at lower costs, it’s also automated where you can choose by cost or number of ‘slots’ (half hours) to charge. You have to choose one or the other though. Either weather view or cost/slots view. 
Also be aware that not all inverters have these extra features. I use a LuxPower inverter which does have these.