News

Are you part of an OVO Smart Home trial? Request to join our private trialist group!

Are you part of an OVO Smart Home trial? Request to join our private trialist group!

Show first post

197 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There’s two horses in the village @sylm_2000 - why would he need a backup? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@sylm_2000 sadly due to the fault and the installers design creating a single point of fail, i don't have a viable backup

Userlevel 7
Badge

My heat pump was meant to be installed Monday but it didn’t occur to me the installation would take nearly all week and with the south east being cold and loads of snow, I could do with heating and hot water in the house so it’s been postponed till the 22nd Feb! 

Once it is installed, I will be taking pictures and making a post :grin:

Userlevel 7

Wow great to hear your installation is confirmed, @NinjaGeek 

Keep a look out for some padlocks and private area access….

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thanks @Tim_OVO! Just out of interest, because I was an OVO customer and will be coming back. Will my gen 1 smart meter just work again and not need to provide meter readings? Also, what can I do about having the heat pump installed? Is it better I go with EV everywhere tariff or is there one with a heat pump in mind?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah… this is good to hear.

So I have two requests please:

1: Start a new Topic in the Smart Home Products area (this one!) called OVO Heat-pump Trial and put into it the basic stuff like you’ve just shared above. Ie your new Topic will contain all the public comments and discussions telling everyone what a heat pump is etc.

2: Go to the Welcome page for the Smart Home Trial Treehouse and introduce yourself. Then start a new Topic in that Treehouse, similar to mine for PowerVault Battery installation. That’s where participants should write all the technical stuff, faults, moans & groans etc, out of the public eye!

That will leave this Topic only for discussions about joining the Trials.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@NinjaGeekwrote

Is it better I go with EV everywhere tariff or is there one with a heat pump in mind?

Put that question in the new Topic you’re about to create within the Treehouse. I’ll answer it there!

[Edited 20feb21] There is now a topic in the Smart Home Treehouse about tariffs. Those on the Trials can find it here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

OVO ‘Smart Home Trial’ private area is live!

Have you successfully applied to take part in one of our Smart Home Trials? This includes:

If you’ve had the new technology installed in your house already, we want to hear from you!

Leave a comment below, and I’ll add you to a private area with other trial members. This means you’ll be able to:

1. Share and discuss the latest developments of the trial and the technologies involved. 
  2. Get advice and support from other trailists and experts. 
  3. Have access to a safe and private space to document your experiences and learnings.

Can’t wait for you to join! 

Hi, I've just had the Daikin air source heat pump and eight new radiators fitted as part of the trial and i feel so fortunate and thrilled to bits. All the guys from Reina were so nice and it was a pleasure to have them here for the week - even though it was the coldest week to be without hot water and heating! It's all done now and my house is toasty with oodles of hot water!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Wow… an air-source heat pump and radiators, @Gingernut49 - very interesting.

May I expound please:

a: Radiators usually require water at 70°C or above. It is possible to use water at a lower temperature, but the radiating surface needs to be appropriately oversized.

b: A heat-pump is less efficient when the difference between external temperature and water-heating temperature is greater.

So if the outside air is at 15°C and you want 75°C to feed to the radiator circuit, then the system must raise the temperature by 60°C.

Compare this with underfloor heating, which typically uses water at 45°C. Thus the heat pump only needs to achieve a 30°C increase. That’s half the energy!

Have a look what I’ve written here at the introduction of a Topic about Heating Systems.

So those wonderful people from Reina must have done some pretty nifty calculations to ensure that your house was viable to have this heat-pump installed.

And that means we’d love to hear more about your site please! :slight_smile:

Any hot water storage tank?

Photos?

Userlevel 7

Great to hear from you, @Gingernut49 - I’ve just given you access to the private area we’ve got here on the forum, just for Smart Home trialists. 

I’ll tag you in a topic there so you can follow the email link. Or you can navigate to it using the menus :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Wow… an air-source heat pump and radiators, @Gingernut49 - very interesting.

May I expound please:

a: Radiators usually require water at 70°C or above. It is possible to use water at a lower temperature, but the radiating surface needs to be appropriately oversized.

b: A heat-pump is less efficient when the difference between external temperature and water-heating temperature is greater.

So if the outside air is at 15°C and you want 75°C to feed to the radiator circuit, then the system must raise the temperature by 60°C.

Compare this with underfloor heating, which typically uses water at 45°C. Thus the heat pump only needs to achieve a 30°C increase. That’s half the energy!

Have a look what I’ve written here at the introduction of a Topic about Heating Systems.

So those wonderful people from Reina must have done some pretty nifty calculations to ensure that your house was viable to have this heat-pump installed.

And that means we’d love to hear more about your site please! :slight_smile:

Any hot water storage tank?

Photos?

A huge amount of kit.

The water is 50° which is plenty hot enough and the radiators are thicker than the old ones and very smart. My house is certainly warm now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

My heat pump was meant to be installed Monday but it didn’t occur to me the installation would take nearly all week and with the south east being cold and loads of snow, I could do with heating and hot water in the house so it’s been postponed till the 22nd Feb! 

Once it is installed, I will be taking pictures and making a post :grin:

I went ahead with my installation last week, despite the arctic weather and was warm enough with two fan heaters. Of course I missed the hot water but fortunately I live alone!

I live in Kent too and have had my Leaf since December. 😀

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

OVO ‘Smart Home Trial’ private area is live!

Have you successfully applied to take part in one of our Smart Home Trials? This includes:

If you’ve had the new technology installed in your house already, we want to hear from you!

Leave a comment below, and I’ll add you to a private area with other trial members. This means you’ll be able to:

1. Share and discuss the latest developments of the trial and the technologies involved. 
  2. Get advice and support from other trailists and experts. 
  3. Have access to a safe and private space to document your experiences and learnings.

Can’t wait for you to join! 

@Tim_OVO I’ve joined the Zero Carbon Heating trial, installation of the heat pump started a couple of weeks ago during the cold snap and still working through some teething issues which I look forward to discussing in the forum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks @hydrosam !

Yup, Zero Carbon Heating Trial sounds valid to me.

We’ll get you sorted out as soon as I can catch Tim, as he's the one with the keys. If we don’t manage to grant you access today, we’ll aim to get you in by Monday or Tuesday.

Just a heads up. We’re still working behind the scenes with getting things fully set up and Tim is working hard to reach out to the right teams. Please don’t panic if things looks a bit empty when you first get access.

Oh, and mind out for the weird quirk this forum has when your permissions get changed. It has a nasty habit of logging people out, but you can log straight back in afterwards and get back into the forums.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

How do I know where I'm posting? It's not clear on my phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah yes, that’s something I can help with.

When you’re on Mobile, the category for the topic you’re currently reading is shown just below the search box. When you create a new topic however, you can choose the one you’re after.

Here’s one I made earlier!

Don’t worry if you create topics in the wrong place though, any of the Moderators will be happy to call a tow truck for you and move it to the right place.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you!

I'm an expert on Facebook and Twitter so I'll soon get the hang of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Update: Since I posted a photo of my Storage battery installation earlier in this topic, there’s been a lot of progress to get the system commissioned.

I won’t bore you with the technical details, but suffice to say that everything’s now in hand…

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I'm on the zero carbon heating trial.. installation not complete yet but soon...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome to the forums @juliamc ! We're glad to have you with us.

Could you fill out your profile when you get chance? We often use the details in there to help with the advice we give to other members.

Granting access to the Treehouses is something that needs one of the Moderators to help out with, and they’re not usually around at the weekends. We’ll aim to get you sorted out on Monday though once the mods are back. In the meantime, please feel free to explore the forums.

We hope to see you in the Treehouse soon!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve just had a Daikin heat pump and new rads installed so would be happy to chat in the private forum.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello Everyone,

We have just had our Daikin HP installed + 12 Radiators last week… Installation went well, the team from Northern Gas did an excellent job… House is nice and warm. Still trying to understand how to best use the system and could do with some advice on how to use the boost function….

looking forward to sharing our heat pump experience with you all…

RAJ

Userlevel 7

Very nice to meet you both, @mrmojorisin04 @RAJ - and it’s great to hear your installations have been completed!

I’m going to be giving you both access to our private area for trialists in a few minutes, and I’ll tag you in the topic you’ll want to see first.

Please be aware that when I do this, you may be forced to log off. So any messages you’re halfway through writing might be lost….

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We really need to get someone to fix that bug...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

We hope to see you in the Treehouse soon!

How do I gain access to this ?