Solved

Scam email from SEG team at OVO?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I received an email this afternoon supposedly from the SEG dept at OVO. It addressed me as “Dear Valued Customer” rather than by name. It asked me to resubmit documents. This is many months since my original submission. My IMac refused to upload. 
I am thinking it is not genuine.

Thoughts? 

icon

Best answer by ChristopherS_OVO 28 March 2024, 11:59

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try resubmitting the docs directly to seg@ovoenergy.com - this is the official email address. If it was genuine, one of the team will pick them up from there.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Good idea! I will resubmit tomorrow. When I clicked on BLOCK on Outlook, the email address was as I expected. So I haven’t blocked it. 
I have actually given up the idea of SEG because it’s been so long since my initial application 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

If you have any security concerns related to OVO’s stuff, the infosec@ovoenergy.com inbox has your back. That team can’t help with general support (please send that stuff the usual way!), but they can assist with potential security issues.

Alternatively, feel free to post a forum thread saying that you have found a security issue but not the details. If either myself or one of the Forum Moderators spot it, we’ve got ways to help get it sent the right way.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you 

I’ll update if I can find out what has happened 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I phoned OVO this morning and it was a genuine email from them. So I will resubmit my docs. There was no explanation as to why I was address as “Hi valued customer” rather than my own name 

Thank you for you help and advice

Best wishes

Ladyrose

Userlevel 4

Hi @Ladyrose

I can shed light on the email you received. If you’re currently going through an application for a Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) account that hasn’t been created yet, the system will not know what to call you; it will address you as politely as possible. 

I can see @Blastoise186 has already shared the direct email address for our SEG team. You can always contact them directly, and they can answer any questions. 

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, thank you

The salutation raised doubts in my mind as it’s usually associated with scam emails.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for all the info 

I submitted all the requested documents but OVO have now asked me go proof that I own the system.

I have sent the a copy of the final invoice, proof of battery purchase and pages from our bank statements.

I’m at a loss as to what else I can send them.

I’ve emailed our installer asking for a letter confirming ownership so I hope to hear back from him.

Ladyrose

Userlevel 6

Hey @Ladyrose 

It sounds like you’re on the right track with those documents, hopefully this’ll be acceptable for the team.

Anything else like a confirmation email or like you’re awaiting, a letter from the installer is always helpful.

We’ve had some others in similar situations, these threads may offer some further insight on this:

Keep us updated with how you get on.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I received a copy of the final invoice by email this morning, from my installer, confirming payment in full in May 2022.

I’ve sent this to the SEG team so hopefully this is what they require.

Kind regards

Ladyrose

Userlevel 1
Badge

None of you will believe this but I have had yet ANOTHER email this evening asking for proof of ownership of our system.

I sent the invoice a few days ago. 

What on Earth is going on. I’m getting very cross now and if it isn’t sorted I’m taking my case to the Energy Ombudsman.

It’s a total farce and very stressful. Every email is signed by a different person. 

Ladyrose 😡

Userlevel 2

Hi @Ladyrose,

I’m really sorry for the issues you’ve been experiencing, that’s definitely not the experience we want for our customers.

I’m going to have our Forum Support team reach out to you so they can help you further with this.

Look out for a private message here soon: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you very much.

The situation really needs sorting out. 
I asked my installer for a final “paid” invoice showing MY name rather than my husband’s 

It arrived this morning so I will send sending it on to the SEG team. 
The header of the invoice is the only reason that I can think of for the quibbling. 
Ladyrose

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

And I have sent my opening export figures and a photo of my smart meter 👏👏👏

Thank you to everyone on the forum who helped and advised me and chased up my problem.

Fingers crossed all goes smoothly 

Kind regards

Ladyrose

Userlevel 7

Pop back if you have any further issues @Ladyrose but I’m glad it appears to be on the right track for getting sorted

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you

xx