Skip to main content
Solved

Is this a typo on energy cost confirmation?

• 7 September 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi I am moving next weekend and set up a new account with OVO through an app called Tili which my estate agents required me to use. I set it all up fine for a fixed term at £99 a month. Today I have received confirmation from OVO and although my direct debit amount is correct, they have put the costs as below which must be a typo as otherwise that is insane and impossible! I’ve tried contacting them through live chat but that is useless and the phones aren’t open until Monday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Yes, there’s some odd calculations there. 
You can check yourself by using the unit prices and multiplying by the kWh expected usage. 
So

0.2404 x 1939 for Electric and

0.0644 x 9266 for Gas
Don’t forget to add on the standing charges too

At a quick glance without calculating it all then it looks to be a factor of x100.

ie. £9900 a month instead of £99.

Looks like a programming/input error for that message and the figures for the rates and SCs have been used as £’s instead of pence?

Have you logged onto your new account and seen what it says there?

As long as it’s just that message that is wrong and things are correct on the account, particularly the required DD amount, then I wouldn’t worry too much.

Thank you both! I finally got through on the live chat and they have confirmed it is incorrect. I checked against the Tili confirmation and OVO’s confirmation and yes it is x100, the decimal point must have been put in the wrong spot! I know energy prices have gone up but I think that’s a bit excessive! 

Good to hear that is all that it was.

I'll hold my hand up that I've done similar myself on spreadsheets and forgot to divide by 100 when entering things as just pennies so they end up being calculated as £s instead. (and I'll bet I'm not the only one who's done that).

Usually it's not a difficult error to spot because the results then end up 100 times too big.

Hey @Jess24 

Sorry about the confusion you had there with the tariff details.

Glad to see some of our volunteers have already stopped by to help clear things up for you.

Feel free to pop back to the Forum any time if you’ve ever got any questions or issues, we’ll do our best to help out.😊