deaf not BSL user

• Carbon Cutter*
  • 5 replies

I’m deaf but don’t use sign language OVO not responding to my emails what else can I do? My bills are astronomical and risin by hundreds every month 😪😪

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

My bills are astronomical and risin by hundreds every month

That sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, but we’ve seen some pretty strange things with big bills recently. When you say ‘bills’, are you referring to:

• the statement you get each month by email?
  • the balance shown on your account online?
  • the amount you’re paying by Direct Debit each month?

If you give a few details of the situation, we may be able to make some helpful suggestions. In the meantime, you could try contacting Support via their chat option. Email is sadly not to be relied on.

Your disability may render you eligible to be on the Priority Services Register, which may make things a bit easier for you, e.g. when you contact Support.

Hi thank you for replying

sadly its not an exaggeration.  First let me say I am writing on behalf of my sister in law who is deaf/blind and learning disabledshe is a registered Priority Customer. And so am I as I  am  profoundly deaf.
She lives alone in a 1-bedroom flat

This is a bill she pays in full online monthly 

.Sep/Oct 23 was £163 this was after the bill ‘migrated’?

now Mar/Apr 24 is £993 ….  

I tried the chat it was just giving me a list of questions then a yes/no response and I wasnt getting anywhere.  I tried text relay and I was on hold so long the relay operator hung up on me! I have sent an email to the “hello” address but I see you are saying it’s not very reliable so I’m losing hope here…. Meantime…. she insists we pay her bills

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

When you use Live Chat, just say the keyword “Agent” without the quotes to bypass the bot.

Userlevel 7
Badge

I have sent an email to the “hello” address but I see you are saying it’s not very reliable … 

One of the problems with email is that there is in most cases an email address associated with the account, which you can see on the account holders Profile page. Only email from this address is likely to be dealt with, and if the sender is also on the Priority Services Register, it should be dealt with a bit more quickly. Does this help at all?

Userlevel 3

This issue raised here is one of the very reasons I have not signed up for Direct Debit payments. This is supposed to be averaged across the year. However you hear stories of people being charged large amounts and building up large credits too.

I continue to pay pay mine promptly on demand each month. This amount varies and means I’m about to benefit from lower bills over the summer as electricity usage is less. However, as we all know OVO Energy will not introduce variable Direct Debit payments such as used by mobile phone operators, local councils and many other companies and organisations. Perhaps there is a reason why?

I have sent an email to the “hello” address but I see you are saying it’s not very reliable … 

One of the problems with email is that there is in most cases an email address associated with the account, which you can see on the account holders Profile page. Only email from this address is likely to be dealt with, and if the sender is also on the Priority Services Register, it should be dealt with a bit more quickly. Does this help at all?

Thank you I will definitely try the ‘agent’ 

Userlevel 6

Hey @MayF 

I’m glad our community have stepped in already and offered email as an option for you.

It does sound like the bill has been a ‘catch up’ bill and covers more than just the next billing period, it’s likely it covers time previous to the billing period, but the Support Team will be able to access and clarify what’s happened.

While I can’t be 100% sure on the reasoning behind the increase in bill without access to the account, but I’ve linked below to a couple of topics related to back billing and historic billing that may be of use if the new bill is for a longer period than the typical billing period:

Keep us updated with how you get on.

When you use Live Chat, just say the keyword “Agent” without the quotes to bypass the bot.

Thank you. Well the ‘agent’ did work and quite quickly 10 minutes unfortunately I made the mistake of telling him I was typing on behalf 

I was typing on behalf of someone and he pretty much shut me down and suggested the email. As they needed “proof of identity” Now I am assuming this will mean send a copy of a power of attorney to the email address! 
and as said before the email address doesn’t seem to be very reliable . Looking at other convos here… she was migrated to OVO back in Sept 2023 but there was no mention of any catch up .and looking now ata bill of almost £1000 is just overwhelming Why not just tell her how much is owed so she can get back to realistic monthly payments as before and which she will gladly pay!  I have sent another much more detailed and forceful email to the hello address but I’m not expecting a reply. It’s a little bit of comfort seeing that there are others going through similar things

Userlevel 6

Hi @MayF 

If you do need to submit a Power of Attorney document, you will need to submit this via email at hello@ovoenergy.com or by post using our Bristol address:

OVO
PO BOX 5280
Worthing
BN11 9RG.

I’ve linked below to a helpful topic on submitting Power of Attorney documents:

The following topic may also be if use to you:

you all for the replies Situation at present.  The “hello” email responded to me, however I missed it.  I saw it when I checked my mails today. It was sent 5 days ago and was requesting a photo of the meters. Today was a second email saying there had been an error in the billing and my account was now £410 in credit ! ….. this is apparently without seeing photo of meters

The 2 emails were sent by 2 different people The request for photo from an *advisor* and the account information came from a *billing agent*

Nice that account is in credit but feels like it should be a lot more 

Userlevel 7

Have you sent the photos through of the meters now @MayF

You could try  contacting Support via their chat option to check they’ve been received and can be added to the billing case. 

Yes I sent that yesterday. I will wait to see if I get a reply today. If not the. I will try the chat option.

Thank you