Solved

I'm looking for the best tariff- I have a solar battery charger without an EV?

• 15 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello

I am currently on Octopus Agile as Octopus wont allow me on their Go tariff as I dont own an EV.  This is not likely to change anytime soon so I am looking for other suppliers who offer off peak Tariffs which would allow me to charge my batteries overnight at a better rate than what I get during the day.  I have spent a fortune on my solar array in the belief that I would be allowed on off peak tariffs only to find I am unable to.  I hardly generate anything currently despite a 12KW installation with 9KW of batteries - I’d like to charge said batteries over night and consume that energy the following day!

Does anyone know if other companies can offer me anything?

thanks

Sam

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 15 November 2022, 16:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @kermitdafwog , I would think that the only other option currently is Economy 7 but again switching suppliers or tariffs is not good at present. There is the Loop/National Grid trial which might be some solace but I thought that Octopus were running part of this off-peak trial too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What version of the Agile tariff are you on @kermitdafwog ? What's your cap? I think, long term, Agile is a good option. As @BPLightlog has said, Economy 7 could work. The day/night rates vary a lot between suppliers, regions and method of payment. You may be able to find one with a night rate of less than 10p/kWh if you're lucky and don't mind a high day rate to make up for the cheap night rate.

Hi Both

My inverter requires me to be in front of it to change the self use times which is a real pain as its in the loft

I am taking part in the off peak trial this evening funnily enough - its from 5 until 6pm so we’re going to turn everything off at 5 to see how we fair.  

I dont think i have a cap, might check the app later

thanks for your response all

Sam