Tutorial

Landis+Gyr E470 smart meter unofficial guide - How to tell if you've got the SMETS1 or SMETS2 version

• 12 March 2021
  • 63 replies
Landis+Gyr E470 smart meter unofficial guide - How to tell if you've got the SMETS1 or SMETS2 version

Show first post

63 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This looks like a normal electric meter. on a board. It is not a smart meter. Smart meter plugs into electric socket and stands alone, if mine is standard??? You have to apply to your gas/electric supplier for a smart meter. It does not cost you anything. 

It is in fact a smart meter .. it has the comms hub and network lights on it

Userlevel 2

hello there everyone

Thank you for your replies.

I wanted to check the reading on my meter to see if it ties up with the IHD.

I take it the reading on the screen is electricity but how do I select the gas reading?

Thank You

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

hello there everyone

Thank you for your replies.

I wanted to check the reading on my meter to see if it ties up with the IHD.

I take it the reading on the screen is electricity but how do I select the gas reading?

Thank You

The gas is on a separate meter. Probably in another spot .. outside maybe?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Smart meter plugs into electric socket and stands alone, if mine is standard??? 

No, that is a very common misconception. What you describe is just the In Home Display (IHD) which communicates with your Smart Meter (as photo). The IHD can be unplugged and the smart meters will still send readings to your supplier.

Userlevel 2

hi again BPLightlog

Sorry but the penny has just dropped.

I’ve realised that the meter in the house will be electricity but I have box outside where the main gas comes in that I haven’t looked at.

As you say there will a seperate

meter for the gas.

In my ignorance I thought that the box in the house did both

Sorry Guys

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

hi again BPLightlog

Sorry but the penny has just dropped.

I’ve realised that the meter in the house will be electricity but I have box outside where the main gas comes in that I haven’t looked at.

As you say there will a seperate

meter for the gas.

In my ignorance I thought that the box in the house did both

Sorry Guys

No problem. Shout if you need any help with that one 

Badge

OVO can’t quite set you up for Economy 7 just yet, but that capability is confirmed to be on the way. Keep an eye on this forum for updates in that regard. If you already have E7 when you join OVO though, that is fully supported right now.

As for E.On Next, it’s basically because their systems are completely incapable of handling it properly. There’s no easy workaround without leaving them completely and jumping ship.

Hi @Blastoise186 Just to circle back, I switched supplier to a certain French nuclear outfit who - after a lot of phone calls - just applied the E7 tariff and away I went.

Now paying EDF 7p/kWh at night (12-7am) and 54.5p/kWh during the day <gulp>. It's saving me a small fortune for the ASHP heating bill, so happy for now, as it's net around 2-2.5p/kWh for each heating kWh produced overnight after applying my COP of 3.8 for heating and 1.8 for hot water, and using my UFH screed as an enormous night storage heater. Just need to avoid turning on anything electrical during the day!

Next task is to find a cost effective battery to allow me to timeshift consumption from day to night... Any ideas anyone? Looking for 5-7kWh of storage and don't have any PV to complicate matters.

Userlevel 7

Next task is to find a cost effective battery to allow me to timeshift consumption from day to night... Any ideas anyone? Looking for 5-7kWh of storage and don't have any PV to complicate matters.

I’ll take some energy storage battery owners, @Edgunn and see if we can get you some recommendations: @BPLightlog @hydrosam @ArundaleP 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I use PylonTech @Edgunn which is a modular system with a LuxPower inverter/controller. This allows you to scale your system to match your budget and add when you want. Currently my 4 units give me 9.6kw of storage. 
The system is not perfect as it takes a few seconds to adjust its output to balance compared to demand but it has data available via an app and has been ok in the last 14 months. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I have a FoxESS system, now 18kwh of storage (but I have a heat pump to run). It works well, is parked in the corner of the garage and doesn’t require much interaction at all  

It was installed by GE solutions. They have their prices online. https://www.gesolutionsuk.co.uk

The Fox isn’t the most advanced on the market, but allows two charging windows for you to configure and is expandable like @BPLightlog’s system. The App is functional but not great. But the price reflects this. If you want all the fancy stuff like automatically calculating how much to charge over night depending on tomorrows weather, go for a Tesla. At least I think the Tesla does this. 

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone 

I have smart meters that were installed by SSE two years ago prior to migration to OVO

Can anyone tell me if they are version one or version two 

Thank you in advance for any advice given 

Jack

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Those are SMETS2 EDMI Gas and SMETS2 L+G Electric.

Userlevel 2

Hi There Blastoise 

I understand and thank you for your help 

Jack