Skip to main content

I am currently paying about 28p per unit in a fixed plan until November.  Since rates seem to have dropped to around 22p according to plans.ovoenergy.com for my postcode. it seems to me it would make sense to switch.  Will OVO allow the switch even though I am still within my fixed rate contract? 

You can switch plans whenever you like. The problem is you may have to pay the exit fee specified on your Plan page.

You may be able to get round this by upgrading, e.g. going from a one-year fixed rate tariff to a two-year. It rather depends on the terms of your contract; the confirmation email you got when you signed up for your current plan will include a link to them. 

Of course, depending on your usage, it may still be worth your while to switch and pay the exit fee. You’d have to dust off the slide rule to find out how much you might save by going for a cheaper tariff; if it’s more than the exit fee, it might be worth it. 

Thanks.  It looks like I can switch without paying a fee from August 28th so it might be worth hanging fire until then.  I don’t believe rates will change again until October.

I’d rather not go onto another fix though as I have had shocking service from OVO and plan to go to a different provider when it is feasibly possible when they sort out the complex metering fiasco.

I don’t believe rates will change again until October.

• Your current rate won’t change until you get to the end of your contract.
  • Fixed-price rates you might fancy are always changing; sometimes you have to be really quick to grab a favourable-looking one before it disappears.
  • The rates for the Standard Variable Tariff will indeed change on 1 October. It’s widely expected that the average will increase by about 10%.