Solved

Should I commit to a fixed deal, or should I wait?

• 27 September 2023
  • 16 replies

I have a 2 yr fixed dual fuel contract finishing on the 29th Sept.

The fixed deals for the same from Ovo have been reduced slightly in the last week, but are still higher than some other suppliers and above the price cap rates that come in on 1st Oct.

Shall I wait to see if OVO will reduce again for fixed deal, go onto standard variable, go onto standard variable for a short while and then get a better fixed deal? 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 27 September 2023, 17:35

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

From my understanding it looks the the cap is due to come down again soon.

Currently the fixed tariff for me makes no sense to me, its roughly the same as the current pricing but looks to be higher with the new cap, just hoping ovo bring out a tariff more in line with the cap assuming as early reports suggest it will be going down.

Any idea’s if the fixed tariff options will be updated or will we all be sticking to variable as it has that feel similar to the university price cap in that everyone just charges the max because they can?

Userlevel 7
Badge

It rather depends on what you mean by ‘worth it.’ There are many customers who would rather know precisely how much they’re going to spend on energy for the next year than save a few pounds for a few months by staying on a variable tariff which is just as likely to rise again sometime over the next twelve months. Cornwall Insights have a pretty good crystal ball; you might have a look at their predictions for the next year: Cornwall Insight's final forecast for the October price cap

Who would have thought that strikes by liquefied natural gas workers in Australia could lead to higher energy bills in England next winter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For what it’s worth, my four penneth is to wait until October to see how suppliers react to the new levels. It is a shot in the dark whatever you decide of course 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I do wonder if we will ever see much competition on standard fixed rate tariff again. 

I suspect much of the focus will be on time/type of use tariff from now on.

Not a surprise there isn't much switching between suppliers going on, although it has picked up. 

https://www.electralink.co.uk/2023/08/price-cap-helps-switching-increase/

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

It rather depends on what you mean by ‘worth it.’ There are many customers who would rather know precisely how much they’re going to spend on energy for the next year than save a few pounds for a few months by staying on a variable tariff which is just as likely to rise again sometime over the next twelve months. Cornwall Insights have a pretty good crystal ball; you might have a look at their predictions for the next year: Cornwall Insight's final forecast for the October price cap

Who would have thought that strikes by liquefied natural gas workers in Australia could lead to higher energy bills in England next winter?

As someone who managed our workplace contracts with the craze of fix now as the increases are endless we almost fixed in at £1 a kwh last year. letting our contract go variable has saved thousands, we have now fixed at a price not far off domestic pricing. So for me personally fixing for peace of mind is a mixed blessing, I was one of the people who fixed at 60p kwh just before the price caps come into play as I was worried about it going sky high. I’ve traditionally been against variable prices, but historically at least in my mind variable were always higher.

After seeing the caps I can’t see the price cap simply doubling, I just feel like its variable will now be capped and fixed just above as you can.

I’m probably going to do as @BPLightlog  said and wait till October price predictions come through. If the ovo fixed tariff’s come close to the current predicted prices tba 25th I imagine I'll consider fixing. In my mind prices will probably start to rise again the closer we get to the new year. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thanks for your real-life story; it’s always helpful to hear of others’ experiences. I fixed a few months early in 2021, which meant that I missed out on the first couple of alarming price hikes. It really hit hard when that contract ended in January this year:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 10/10/23 by Abby_OVO

It’s a personal decision I’m afraid. We can’t easily advise there.

Hey @Tricia,

Yes the new rates will be effective from the 1st of October, this will allow you to compare to the fixed rate plans.

This FAQ may be helpful:

You can also check out all of our available plans here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/home-energy-plans

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I suspect the variable rate will be higher in Q1 and Q2 2024 so fixing now may be as good as it gets. So over the cold months in the new year the variable rate will be more expensive. 

The longer you leave it, the higher the risk fixed rates may creep up as winter approaches, even though the weather is relatively mild and gas storage is pretty full. 

Just a personal view. 

I don't think any supplier is looking to build much market share apart from time of use type tarrif now. Those times are gone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

I suspect the variable rate will be higher in Q1 and Q2 2024 ...

This is what trusted prophets are saying.

Userlevel 7

Hey @spidermorse47,

It’s a tough decision, considering what’s happened in recent years with the energy crisis. I’m facing the same decision myself! 

Keep us posted with what you decide 😊

Userlevel 3

I was told on the phone by an OVO agent last week that a new tariff will be announced on 1. October with lower rates than the current 1 year fixed rate tariff. My contract ended on 25th and he advised me to let it go to variable rate for a few days then sign up for the new fixed rate tariff online after 1. October.  Fingers crossed he knew what he was talking about! I'll know in a couple of days! 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Tricia,

Yes the new rates will be effective from the 1st of October, this will allow you to compare to the fixed rate plans.

This FAQ may be helpful:

Userlevel 7
Badge

I was told on the phone by an OVO agent last week that a new tariff will be announced on 1. October with lower rates than the current 1 year fixed rate tariff. 

If you visit your renewal page, you should see the new rates both for fixed and variable tariffs.

Thank you for all the replies. Sound and logical in all you say, I'm sure they will help my decision. 

Userlevel 3

The renewal page is not yet showing a change for the 1 year fixed rate tariff. It should show on Sunday or Monday! 

Userlevel 7
Badge

The renewal page is not yet showing a change for the 1 year fixed rate tariff. It should show on Sunday or Monday! 

I think you’re rather missing the point of fixed-rate tariffs. OVO and other energy companies determine their prices depending on what they expect to have to pay in the future. Until the price cap was introduced some years ago, they were pretty much allowed to charge what they wanted to, and it was simply supply and demand that kept prices in check. This wasn’t working for many customers, though, who didn’t shop around for better deals but simply stayed with the same company year after year regardless of whether they were paying over the odds. The price cap was intended to prevent this, and set a limit on how much companies could charge.

The cap used to change twice yearly, but since last year it’s been calculated every quarter depending on how wholesale prices moved, bearing in mind that companies have to buy what they expect to need in advance, at prices set by the wholesale market. Now it’s possible for customers to know what they will be paying for the next quarter.

This has been pretty volatile over the past two years, so those who rely on knowing what they can expect to pay over a longer period - a year or two - have the possibility of buying at a fixed price. The price a plan is offered at can change anytime, as suppliers follow the changes they see in wholesale markets. However, once a customer accepts an offer at a specific price, it won’t change over the length of the contract. 

So there will not be any change in the offer price for fixed tariffs simply because a new price cap enters into force. The supplier is gambling on having a certain number of customers on a particular tariff; this is the reason why there are exit fees if the customer chooses to end the contract early and start to pay at a perhaps lower variable price, which will change with the price cap unless something drastic happens in the next year or two.