Complex Multi-Rate Meter & Heating types

• 27 September 2023
  • 49 replies
Complex Multi-Rate Meter & Heating types

Show first post

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Is replacing with a SMERT2 the only way of keeping my Economy 7 tariff. 

Yup, SMETS2 is the only way forwards. Stocks of Traditional Meters - including Traditional E7 - have pretty much depleted to zero across all suppliers, so there’s not really any alternatives at this point.

No-one has made those timeswitches either in forever, so if that breaks, replacements will be hard to source.

I have already contacted the service centre re this and they say that they can't book me an appointment for a Smart meter  as there is a block on my account. But they are looking in to getting this taken off. I will suggest as you said trying to book the appointment manually and also let them know how old my meter is. Thanks again Sylvia 

Oh sorry just one other thing, if this doesn't get changed before end of March when radio switch signal gets turned off will that mean my meter will stop working correctly ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not in your case. That timeswitch you have is local - the RTS Shutdown won’t affect it. For anyone else reading this, please bear in mind that only local timeswitches are exempted from this particular shutdown.

However, it’s getting old so it’s probably going to wear out at some point.

Oh wow thank you, I was so worried about this happening. I can relax now and give the folk I  the service centre a bit peace now 😆 LOL. Much appreciated. 

Hello

I have a flat with electricity supplied on the Simpler Energy - Domestic Economy. MPAN is *Edited by Mod*. There is a smart meter installed. I am in scotland.

I see from my online account the rates are

Peak unit rate (07:30-23:30 GMT) 

31.46p per Kilowatt hour kWh

Off-peak unit rate (23:30-07:30 GMT)

19.16p per Kilowatt hour kWh

The flat has a single Dimplex storage heater in the living room & hot water tank with single immersion. There is a Timeguard Digital economy 7 programmer with boost located in the kitchen model ref TRTD7N.

How do i know if i have an economy 7 meter ? If I do not have economy 7, how is water warmed ready for delivery and how do i get heat ‘into’ the storgae heater ? 

Presumably the solution may lie in how the digital programmer is programmed ?

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mjsc , the fact that you’ve identified on peak and off peak charges indicates an economy plan and economy 7 normally relates to 7 hrs of off peak usage although you have listed 8 hrs (23:30 - 7:30) 

Your storage heaters should be set to heat up during off peak and this should be the same for your hot water. Both heating and hot water can be then used during the day without using too much power at peak times/costs. Any Boost setting usually allows the appliance to add power at peak times giving a boost of energy/heat but of course that costs more as it uses peak charges

If you would like a little more information such as for your meter then photos help to identify. Please don’t post any personal info 

Userlevel 7
Badge

We’d really need to see pictures of your meter to be able to help at all, because it can get really complicated up there north of the Tay-Clyde line. When and how power is delivered to your heating equipment can be governed by various mechanisms. Some smart meters can be set up to switch power to a separate heating circuit at set times, which could easily conflict with your Timeguard switch. Many customers will have remote-controlled switching, which again can interfere, although this shouldn’t be affecting you if you’ve had a smart meter installed.

There are many tariffs that give eight offpeak hours like yours (23:30-07:30). Your OVO account should automatically charge you at offpeak rates during the period given in your (legacy?) plan, but again these timings may not always coincide with what the switches do. 

It might also help to see a screenshot of your MPAN, which tells OVO and us a lot about the supply to your flat. You should see it on a recent bill; it looks like this:

The box at the bottom reading 1234 5678 in this picture contains an ID number which could be used to identify you and where you live; it might be best to obscure this bit before posting if you’re concerned about privacy.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The poster’s MPAN is in the question @Firedog 

Userlevel 7
Badge

The poster’s MPAN is in the question @Firedog 

Yeah, I saw that. It’s the rest of it - the top line - that tells us what sort of supply this is. 

hello folks

thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

This query may be beyond your ken but i shall ask.

There is a Timeguard Digital economy 7 programmer with ‘boost’ located in the kitchen model ref TRTD7N. Boost could be 30,60 or 120 minutes.

if i press boost does it supply a boost of power to both immersion and storage heater ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The boost button should trigger both at once in most cases. If you’re not sure, feel free to give it a go and see what happens.

Please note that using the Boost Button will cause those heaters to run at Peak rates - we’d recommend only using it if you really need to.

We’d really need to see pictures of your meter to be able to help at all, because it can get really complicated up there north of the Tay-Clyde line. When and how power is delivered to your heating equipment can be governed by various mechanisms. Some smart meters can be set up to switch power to a separate heating circuit at set times, which could easily conflict with your Timeguard switch. Many customers will have remote-controlled switching, which again can interfere, although this shouldn’t be affecting you if you’ve had a smart meter installed.

There are many tariffs that give eight offpeak hours like yours (23:30-07:30). Your OVO account should automatically charge you at offpeak rates during the period given in your (legacy?) plan, but again these timings may not always coincide with what the switches do. 

It might also help to see a screenshot of your MPAN, which tells OVO and us a lot about the supply to your flat. You should see it on a recent bill; it looks like this:

The box at the bottom reading 1234 5678 in this picture contains an ID number which could be used to identify you and where you live; it might be best to obscure this bit before posting if you’re concerned about privacy.  

Hello Firedog, pics of my new meter as attached and I have also attached a pic of the old meter, prepayment type.

Thanks for your help

What do the two little spectacle like icons mean ? - both located in the bottom right of picture 1 & 2 ?

And also the two arrows marked ‘+R’ & ‘+A’ in pics 1 &2  - what do these signify ?

Does the average punter need to know about these meanings ? Curious…

Thanks all

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The icons on the bottom right are the supply status.

If the bar is down, the supply is currently on/connected and should be working. If the bar is up, the supply is disconnected - such as during day time for the second load (lower indicator). If it’s flashing, the supply is disconnected but you’re allowed to reconnect and the meter is simply waiting for you to authorise it to reconnect (this is a safety feature).

As for the bottom left, A is active power, R is reactive power. You don’t need to worry about those much. Plus symbol is Importing, minus symbol is Exporting. :)

I have night storage heaters, and OVO are denying me from using them. I have a multi rate, five port smart meter. It clicks at 7 am as the old mechanical meter did, when the night rate reverts to day rate. I work for SSEN. The meter displays 2 rates: day And night. OVO has fixed/stitched it so I cannot benefit from my night storage heater. They kept me waiting half and hour plus the other day, and weren't bothered to answer my questions. So I will leaving soon for Octopus Energy who have better customer service and will be more fairer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Stevexld ,

Actually the fix is pretty easy. You just need to ask the Support Team to reconfigure the ECAUL/ALCS configs on the meter. It can be requested via Live Chat here and you just need to use the keyword “agent” to bypass the bot.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear this, @Stevexld. If you have a smart meter, it might indeed be a configuration change needed on your electricity smart meter. 

Our Support team can do this, and just in case this isn’t sorted, the Forum Support team can help (we’ll send you a private message now). We’ll only pick up your reply on Tuesday as it’s the weekend and bank holiday, so I’d advise contacting our Support team if urgent.

My last ancient storage heater has been put to pasture and I finally have no further use for the off peak circuit. All switched off at the consumer unit, or so I thought…

The meter is still showing off peak usage of around 40 to 60 units a week- and I'm not using it. Any ideas? I'm definitely not connected anywhere to the off peak circuit anywhere..

Cheers

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

That is weird! Annoyingly high, too.  Is there any discernible pattern to the usage over the week (or over a typical day) that you've spotted?

Hopefully somebody familiar with THTC metering will help you swiftly….

Userlevel 5
Badge

Is there an isolation switch on the off peak circuit? If there is then you could experiment by switching it off. 1) Something in your house/flat might go off in which case an electrician needs to carry out an investigation. 2) Something in someone else’s house/flat might go off which would probably spark a conversation and then a visit by an electrician. Either way the usage should go to zero.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s not just storage heaters than run on the cheaper rates

Panel heaters, focal point fires, bathroom heaters, towel rails, hot water boost and electric showers are all eligible to run on the off-peak rate 24/7/365. Even if the storage heaters are off, the off-peak registers will still spin if any of these are running.

This is not a fault - it’s by design.

Thanks for the replies. All the mcbs are off at the box, as is the main isolator. This box is for off peak only. Another box has all the "normal" household devices, including panel heaters. I've never come across the fact that some stuff could be on 24/7 with no means of isolation anywhere that I can see. I really wish I could get shot of this pointless and archaic system. One meter, one tariff...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just because they can, doesn’t mean they always do - if they’re turned off at any given time, they’ll rack up nothing - and I’ve never heard of anyone showering for 24 hours straight. :)

Hang in there for now - OVO is working on a solution to get you onto Smart Meters. Once that’s done, you might be able to change to whatever tariff you desire.