Single Sign-On Everywhere!

Related products: OVO Forum

Single Sign-On is amazing. One set of credentials for absolutely everything that’s managed by the SSO Identity Provider (idP) and the connected Service Providers.

But it’s been missing from OVO’s Forum since the days the OVO Forum started. I’d really love to be able to have one set of credentials that works no matter where I am in OVO’s platform. Forum, MyOVO, OVO Energy app, insert future thing here… But not to replace the ability to have separate logins if one prefers.

Pretty please? :D

Thanks for posting this idea, @Blastoise186 - you’ve got my vote!

I’ll be changing this to ‘open for votes’ so we can gauge interest from other forum members. 

Please be advised that we’ve wanted a SSO solution for some time, but there are dependencies on the identify provider. Changes are happening in this area and until that’s complete, work on a SSO with this Insided platform can’t start. I’ll be keeping this idea updated with the latest as and when!

NewOpen for votes

I think SSO is a good idea, but only if it’s implemented properly !

I don’t want some half-cocked system where you have to log in to Account  before you can access Forum. It needs to work both ways, with a login anywhere giving access everywhere.

Also, it needs to extend to mobile devices when they are on the same WiFi network, with fingerprint login there giving access to websites and applications running on a PC/laptop.

All this will work fine, providing seamless transitions between apps no matter where they are. However, we still need the ability to login locally for the rare occasions when SSO breaks, and we need a support channel that understands what they are dealing with.

The way SSO can work on the forum software is that it can be made totally optional - there’s the option of making it SSO Only, Username/Password Only or Both. Tim wants it to be the Both option to cater for every use case.

It is however, worth noting that the forum software CANNOT act as both a Service Provider and an Identity Provider at the same time. Each application can only play either the SP or IdP role.

This SSO idea has got legs !.

When the laptop/mobile is identified and authorised,  it would be great if that state could be passed to the Chat engine.

This would save the Agents having to ask all those ID questions again every time the Chat gets transferred !

Nice feedback, thank you @Buzby.

I am wondering out loud here about the lack of / prospect of a Google SSO directly with Gainsight. Lots of sites I use offer that and it’s certainly nice and easy to use my google account for signing up to sites that use it… 

PLEASE keep Google out of it as far as possible, and any other ‘universal’ access enablers like Microsoft or Facebook or LinkedIn. 

There is already too much cross-contamination between the forum and the OVO energy account (the CSRF fault illustrated that, I think), and there are obvious security pitfalls with being automatically signed into a financial account when simply using a social medium like this forum. 

PS

TIL that CSRF is pronounced sea surf. Neat 🙂

Nice feedback, thank you @Buzby.

I am wondering out loud here about the lack of / prospect of a Google SSO directly with Gainsight. Lots of sites I use offer that and it’s certainly nice and easy to use my google account for signing up to sites that use it… 

If you go to the Gainsight page here : https://www.gainsight.com/platform/

Scroll down to the ‘Read case study’ button for BOX, the result is a .png logo file.

If a company can’t even proof check their website, would you trust their product ?

OVO doesn’t shine in this repect either ...

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/types-of-boilers-explained

Conventional boilers are so good we named them twice !

I despair !

Buzby

Don’t knock em until you try em.

Gainsight are actually really good. That issue has already been reported and will likely be rapidly fixed. Fortunately, that’s something I’m very capable of. It literally took me a mere 10 seconds to submit #306098 using my Support Account I have with them.

Rather than moan publicly about things like that, how about you let folks know via the right channels? I’m sure they’d appreciate it! :)

Nice spot, @Buzby - I’ve flagged this to get updated.

Rather than moan publicly about things like that, how about you let folks know via the right channels? I’m sure they’d appreciate it! :)

@Blastoise186 

Don’t knock me, I tried !

I went all over the Gainsight pages looking for somewhere to report a website problem, something like a ‘webmaster@gainsight’ address, or a ‘Report site problem’ page, but could not find one. Please show me where it is, I might not have looked hard enough.

Regarding the fix, it’s not what I would call a ‘case study’. Three lines of text and a stock image do not make a case study.

Oh, and by the way, Gainsight are publishing the names of some of their software engineers on the website. I looked them up on LinkedIN and FB.

support.gainsight.com .

It’s already fixed by the way.

Ultimately however, if you have a problem with Gainsight or their business practices, go talk to Gainsight about it directly. I can’t act as your messenger and this isn’t the place to do it either.

Nice spot, @Buzby - I’ve flagged this to get updated.

This is also fixed!